Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 119290 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2010, 01:06:29 AM »
Here's the extent of my knowledge of hoof-and-mouth disease.  The dude that used to own the Lou (Duane) told me one time that you could never reuse a pitcher before washing it or you will spread hoof-and-mouth.  Duane drank a lot.

LOL, I loved Duane.

Seriously though, we need this agricultural time bomb if we expect to keep our Chicago flights.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2010, 10:14:05 AM »
Seems like they could just have a 24/7 vacuum (with a backup for redundancy, of course) to have the whole facility in negative pressure and just pump that crap to the bottom of Tuttle or something.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2010, 10:15:24 AM »
So basically this means they will have to up the security and safety procedures to this place? which will add to the cost?

Or does this delay the start of the build?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2010, 10:33:39 AM »
How about we just tell them WDGAF and we'll take the risk and then half ass it like we did with the nuke waste and assume nothing bad will happen :dunno:  I mean, I'll take that risk for Chicago flights.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2010, 10:46:41 AM »
Self destruct button linked to that stuff they used in the crappy Nick Cage movie where they blew up Alcatraz and stuff.  If there is a leak....sky high baby. 

....and we still get our Chi flights. 

Totally worth it.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2010, 12:19:25 PM »
What I've gathered from reading above:

1. nobody knows if this will keep the thing from getting built, or delay it for how long

2. nobody knows what hoof and mouth disease is

3. nobody knows how to make good hoof and mouth disease jokes

Basically, I don't anything more than I did 5 minutes ago  :bawl:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
What I've gathered from reading above:

1. nobody knows if this will keep the thing from getting built, or delay it for how long

2. nobody knows what hoof and mouth disease is

3. nobody knows how to make good hoof and mouth disease jokes

Basically, I don't anything more than I did 5 minutes ago  :bawl:

Did you just make fun of a rebel bbs for not being educational enough? 

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2010, 12:36:01 PM »
MIKE HENDRICKS COMMENTARY

What a nightmare.

Fell asleep reading that new report about risks of building that bio-defense lab on the K-State campus in Manhattan — and oh so close to the football stadium.

Woke up with this scary vision: 50,000 wild-eyed K-State fans streaming out after a game, having all breathed in highly contagious foot-and-mouth disease.

Mind you, humans can’t catch the disease, only farm animals.

But think of the risk to Wildcats fans’ significant others back home!    :surprised:

Yes, a little joke there for KU fans in the audience. Now, we segue to the serious. According to the National Research Council, there really is a threat that football fans, students and researchers could carry home the highly contagious virus on their clothes and in their lungs should the disease escape from the proposed National Bio- and Agro-Defense Facility.

Absent added safety precautions, the council rates the chance at 70 percent within 50 years, perhaps crippling the livestock industry and affecting the food supply.

This is the third study to warn of risks of building a facility that studies highly contagious livestock diseases such as foot-and-mouth in the midst of one of the most livestock-intensive regions of the country.

In 2008, the Government Accountability Office questioned whether the feds had sufficient evidence to prove “that food and mouth disease research can be done safely on the U.S. mainland” at all.

(It’s now done on an island off the New York coast.)

Naturally, area politicians pooh-poohed this latest report as they did the others. Intoxicated by the $650 million federal project, the state’s six-member congressional delegation all but shrugged off its findings:

“We are confident this facility will be the safest research laboratory in the world,” a joint statement said.

Remember last year when some of these same folks quivered at the thought of terror suspects being moved from Guantanamo to the military prison at Fort Leavenworth?

Among the reasons Sen. Pat Roberts gave for his opposition: that an island facility was less of a security threat than one smack in the Midwest at a “campus-style facility” like Fort Leavenworth.

Hey, but as for spending hundreds of millions moving a potentially risky research operation from an island to the middle of the country on an actual university campus, why worry?

Roberts, Sam Brownback and the rest are only too willing to set aside caution when the dollars are big enough. That and they worry Texas might steal the project.

Still, what’s wrong with a little caution? Unless you’d rather put your trust in politicians rather than scientists.

To reach Mike Hendricks, call 816-234-7708 or send e-mail to [email protected].
Posted on Tue, Nov. 16, 2010 11:16 PM

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/16/2441851/three-studies-warn-about-that.html#ixzz15Z9oCwEN

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2010, 12:56:44 PM »
Commence tard email compaign.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2010, 01:45:39 PM »
Good thing there's no cattle in Texas.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2010, 02:05:28 PM »
This facility would have to be very shitty for there to actually be a 70% chance of a hoof and mouth outbreak over a 50 year period.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »
All they really need to do is use an extra tube of caulk around the windows.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2010, 06:26:56 PM »
This facility would have to be very shitty for there to actually be a 70% chance of a hoof and mouth outbreak over a 50 year period.

No, in DHS's original report it was estimated that the worst-case scenario of SOME disease being released over a span of 50 years is 70 percent. It COULD be foot and mouth disease, or any one of the myriad of other diseases that will be studied at the lab. A release is also defined as a disease leaving it's approved area, so it's entirely possible that a disease is "released" but never leaves the building or even the floor it's being studied on.

It was one of the things the NRC summary took completely out of context from the DHS's original report. Having read both, it's quite amusing to see the NRC summary essentially repeat what was in the DHS report in several instances but it's now really scary because the NRC omitted a lot of the reasons for why some of the report is incomplete.
It remains unknown what effect, if any, this will have on NBAF's time line in Manhattan. Even the stuff the NRC did get right isn't impossible to solve and really not all that expensive considering the building hasn't even been designed yet.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2010, 10:11:16 AM »
In true Manhattan, KS style, just like when we voted I-70 away from town, tards will now get scared and ruin this for us too. eff.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2010, 10:14:08 AM »
In true Manhattan, KS style, just like when we voted I-70 away from town, tards will now get scared and ruin this for us too. eff.

nobody voted I70 away from town dumbass.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »

No, in DHS's original report it was estimated that the worst-case scenario of SOME disease being released over a span of 50 years is 70 percent. It COULD be foot and mouth disease, or any one of the myriad of other diseases that will be studied at the lab. A release is also defined as a disease leaving it's approved area, so it's entirely possible that a disease is "released" but never leaves the building or even the floor it's being studied on.

It was one of the things the NRC summary took completely out of context from the DHS's original report. Having read both, it's quite amusing to see the NRC summary essentially repeat what was in the DHS report in several instances but it's now really scary because the NRC omitted a lot of the reasons for why some of the report is incomplete.
It remains unknown what effect, if any, this will have on NBAF's time line in Manhattan. Even the stuff the NRC did get right isn't impossible to solve and really not all that expensive considering the building hasn't even been designed yet.

This is good to hear.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2010, 10:24:19 AM »

Really? That's what I've always heard. Back in the 50's. Quit being mean.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2010, 10:26:29 AM »

not until you ask nicely dumbass.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2010, 10:27:19 AM »
The fact of the matter is, in terms of NBAF, all the scare mongers are going to conjure up every possible scenario to keep it from being built.   My brother, a biologist who lives near Manhattan is the same way.   He rants on and on about the worst case scenario.   The facts are, no matter where it is built, there's always the possibility of the "worst case scenario".    I am every bit as wary of building something like this out in the middle of nowhere . . . middle of nowhere germ research has proven to be a real pain in the ass from a security standpoint, and I can cite several examples from around the world.  

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2010, 10:29:49 AM »
The fact of the matter is, in terms of NBAF, all the scare mongers are going to conjure up every possible scenario to keep it from being built.   My brother, a biologist who lives near Manhattan is the same way.   He rants on and on about the worst case scenario.   The facts are, no matter where it is built, there's always the possibility of the "worst case scenario".    I am every bit as wary of building something like this out in the middle of nowhere . . . middle of nowhere germ research has proven to be a real pain in the ass from a security standpoint, and I can cite several examples from around the world.  

Well, maybe we should just build the facility on the ocean floor. Nothing could possibly go wrong there, right?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »

Well, maybe we should just build the facility on the ocean floor. Nothing could possibly go wrong there, right?

On the moon   :dunno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2010, 10:32:07 AM »

On the moon   :dunno:

Now, that's just ridiculous.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2010, 10:33:02 AM »

Not until you tell me if what you said it true. I've been rough ridin' pissed about that for years.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »

Not until you tell me if what you said it true. I've been rough ridin' pissed about that for years.

What daris said makes more sense than what you said. The residents of Manhattan are Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) enough to vote something like that down, but why would the government want to route I-70 through Manhattan? The whole point of the interstate system is to connect the country with relatively straight paths. It doesn't meander through other small towns, so why would they want to route it through Manhattan, KS?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »

What daris said makes more sense than what you said. The residents of Manhattan are Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) enough to vote something like that down, but why would the government want to route I-70 through Manhattan? The whole point of the interstate system is to connect the country with relatively straight paths. It doesn't meander through other small towns, so why would they want to route it through Manhattan, KS?

There's a major university and stuff here, why wouldn't they?