Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 117930 times)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:33 PM »
Everyone just bathe in Ivomac-Pour-On every day and you'll have nothing to worry about (< hick joke from hick school graduate sd)

I can't wait until the athletic sponsorships from all of new, rich tenants start flooding in. It'll be just like the good ol' days of the Draxxin Halftime Report.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2010, 12:45:05 PM »
jfc
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2010, 01:12:50 PM »
The timing of this report coming just 2 weeks following the CTR beatdown is very suspicious.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »
Study has been released. They should just put the lab in a big bubble. And then over that bubble put another, larger bubble.

New report highlights risk of Kansas biodefense lab

The federal government has seriously underestimated the risk that a new federal lab in Manhattan, Kan., could accidentally release dangerous pathogens like foot-and-mouth disease, according to a scientific assessment released this morning.

The report, conducted by the National Research Council, predicts that there is a better than 70 percent chance of an accidental release of a contagious animal disease within 50 years at the National Bio- and Agro-Defense Facility planned for Manhattan.

In addition, it found “several major shortcomings” in an early U.S. Department of Homeland Security Assessment.

The federal government selected Kansas to host the $650 million lab, which will study foreign animal diseases and replace an aging lab on Plum Island, N.Y.

Some of the diseases can infect humans. Others pose threats to the nation’s agricultural economy. Congress voted to withhold construction funds for the project until concerns about the lab’s safety were studied.

Based on today’s report, those concerns are far from addressed.

“Building a facility that is capable of large animal work on a scale greater than other high-containment laboratories presents new and unknown risks that could not be accounted for in the DHS risk assessment because of a lack of data and experience,” said Ronald Atlas, chair of the committee that wrote today’s report.

Atlas is a professor of biology and public health and co-director of the Center for Health Preparedness at the University of Louisville in Kentucky.

The report, which was requested by Congress, faulted the earlier Homeland Security study for failing to grasp the risk of an accidental leak of foot-and-mouth disease, or how much damage such a leak could create. The report notes that “roughly 9.5 percent of the U.S. cattle inventory lies within a 200-mile radius of the facility. Given that the disease is highly contagious and that the chance of its escape is not zero, rigorous and robust regional and national mitigation strategies that address an extensive outbreak … are needed before the facility opens.”

The earlier Homeland Security report estimated the economic losses from a possible foot-and-mouth outbreak at $9 billion to $50 billion, but today’s report says the actual amount could be “significantly higher.”

Obviously released by the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2010, 01:24:03 PM »
Study has been released. They should just put the lab in a big bubble. And then over that bubble put another, larger bubble.

New report highlights risk of Kansas biodefense lab

The federal government has seriously underestimated the risk that a new federal lab in Manhattan, Kan., could accidentally release dangerous pathogens like foot-and-mouth disease, according to a scientific assessment released this morning.

The report, conducted by the National Research Council, predicts that there is a better than 70 percent chance of an accidental release of a contagious animal disease within 50 years at the National Bio- and Agro-Defense Facility planned for Manhattan.

In addition, it found “several major shortcomings” in an early U.S. Department of Homeland Security Assessment.

The federal government selected Kansas to host the $650 million lab, which will study foreign animal diseases and replace an aging lab on Plum Island, N.Y.

Some of the diseases can infect humans. Others pose threats to the nation’s agricultural economy. Congress voted to withhold construction funds for the project until concerns about the lab’s safety were studied.

Based on today’s report, those concerns are far from addressed.

“Building a facility that is capable of large animal work on a scale greater than other high-containment laboratories presents new and unknown risks that could not be accounted for in the DHS risk assessment because of a lack of data and experience,” said Ronald Atlas, chair of the committee that wrote today’s report.

Atlas is a professor of biology and public health and co-director of the Center for Health Preparedness at the University of Louisville in Kentucky.

The report, which was requested by Congress, faulted the earlier Homeland Security study for failing to grasp the risk of an accidental leak of foot-and-mouth disease, or how much damage such a leak could create. The report notes that “roughly 9.5 percent of the U.S. cattle inventory lies within a 200-mile radius of the facility. Given that the disease is highly contagious and that the chance of its escape is not zero, rigorous and robust regional and national mitigation strategies that address an extensive outbreak … are needed before the facility opens.”

The earlier Homeland Security report estimated the economic losses from a possible foot-and-mouth outbreak at $9 billion to $50 billion, but today’s report says the actual amount could be “significantly higher.”

You don't eff with Rick Pitino and get away with it.

Will Angel Rodriguez be worth the cost?   :bball:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2010, 01:28:59 PM »
So how big of a moat do we need to build to make this go away? 

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2010, 04:03:15 PM »
It's a good thing the CDC was built in a sparsely populated area too!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2010, 04:07:46 PM »
manhattan republicans rejoice

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2010, 04:22:36 PM »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2010, 04:24:17 PM »
they are going to take it away from me. i just know it.  :cry:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2010, 04:25:19 PM »
Would be huge.  Hugely bad.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »
Someone put MHK-DFW on the train out of town with Frank. :frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »
I'll fight a vicious bovine disease right now.  I don't give a crap. 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2010, 05:28:27 PM »
Wait, are Manhattan Republicans against NBAF? Goddamnit. Quit being terrible, Republicans. Sheesh.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Pittcat

• Resident Purveyor of Above Avererage Staplers.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2010, 05:51:04 PM »
The timing of this report coming just 2 weeks following the CTR beatdown is very suspicious.
3021  RIP

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2010, 07:14:02 PM »
It's a good thing the CDC was built in a sparsely populated area too!
:opcat:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2010, 10:13:18 PM »
Dr. Oz is doing a show. :ohno:

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2010, 10:18:35 PM »
What does this mean for  Red Lobster likelihood?

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2010, 11:13:15 PM »
Chedder biscuits w/ a side of ebola?  :yum:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2010, 01:49:59 PM »
Most of the population of the country lives next to really scary dangerous stuff . . . You can write a report to conjure every possible scenario under the flying Spaghetti Monster sun.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2010, 08:40:34 PM »
How long will this delay Manhattan getting more awesome?  How long should we expect until it is full steam ahead again?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2010, 09:28:54 PM »
I have never, not once in my life, been worried about foot and mouth disease, and I'm sure as hell not gonna start now.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
Most of the population of the country lives next to really scary dangerous stuff . . . You can write a report to conjure every possible scenario under the flying Spaghetti Monster sun.

Yes, but this is related to steak and bacon we're talking about Dax. I'm OK with regular people living near powerlines, runoff from open pit mines and nuclear waste dumps, but rough ridin' with my dinner plate isn't cool.

But yeah, this was essentially a review of a report compiled with no actual building designs available. This is a CYA for all congresscritters approving funding for the thing.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2010, 11:48:11 PM »
Here's the extent of my knowledge of hoof-and-mouth disease.  The dude that used to own the Lou (Duane) told me one time that you could never reuse a pitcher before washing it or you will spread hoof-and-mouth.  Duane drank a lot.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2010, 12:39:16 AM »
Isn't the CDC located in Atlanta? Seems like more of a hazard than NBAF in MHK...