Author Topic: CHIEFS  (Read 1461372 times)

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: CHIEFS
« Reply #16550 on: January 21, 2019, 09:58:56 AM »
heart goes out to the kingdom today. the chiefs fanatics that i was watching with last night took the loss significantly better than i would have.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #16551 on: January 21, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »
-i have not watched the broadcast and have not read much analysis, so it's possible i'm missing something here. But in real time (and especially afterward) i hated andy's timeout on 3rd-and-4 late in the 2nd quarter. the pats seemed content to go into half up 7-0 and the chiefs should have been thrilled with that. the worst-case scenario without a timeout seemed to be a pats field goal and a 10-pt deficit. the upside, let's be honest, was super limited. if the chiefs force a punt, maybe they respond with a field goal and cut it to 4. if the pats get a first down - more likely than unlikely - then they're barreling down the field for the net plus 3 with a FG. tragically, they got a touchdown (and nearly got the ball again after mahomes fumbed moments later). so to recap, the pats were likely going to half up 7-0 or, at worst, 10-0; and instead they went in up 14-0 and were a bounce away from 17-0. just a disastrous and costly sequence there.
I 100% agree with you and you're the first person I've seen talking about this since last night.  I was irate when we called that timeout.  If they want to eat the possession and give us the ball down 7 after halftime, TAKE IT.  That was so frustrating.

for what it's worth, if it were 3rd-and-7 i think it's a coin flip on whether or not to call timeout; and on 3rd-and-10, i definitely would call timeout. the NFL avg is a little above 50% to convert on 3rd-and-4. with brady/pats on offense, against a bad chiefs defense, surely that number is closer to perhaps 40-45% chance of stopping them, and then what, a 30% chance of attempting (ie not necessarily making) a FG before the half if you get it back?

the opposite of that is that the pats had let's say a 55 to 60% chance of converting the 3rd-and-4, and then perhaps a 50% chance of kicking a FG before half, and then a less than 15% chance of scoring a TD?

the chiefs were guaranteed ball first out of half, so there just wasn't a ton of downside to letting the end-of-half clock get the stop that your defense ultimately couldn't.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16552 on: January 21, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #16553 on: January 21, 2019, 10:02:28 AM »
OK

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16554 on: January 21, 2019, 10:06:49 AM »
Also, I will say, that this is the first year I've ever really paid much attention to the Chiefs.  Got season tickets with some friends on a whim because they were dirt cheap.  I had so much fun out there this year.

i am interested in doing this also. 8 games is a pretty small commitment

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16555 on: January 21, 2019, 10:07:40 AM »
OK

No doubt it hurts but dudes won, I'd want my dudes to show a little swagger when we do the same.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16556 on: January 21, 2019, 10:08:14 AM »
Also, I will say, that this is the first year I've ever really paid much attention to the Chiefs.  Got season tickets with some friends on a whim because they were dirt cheap.  I had so much fun out there this year.

i am interested in doing this also. 8 games is a pretty small commitment

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16557 on: January 21, 2019, 10:08:48 AM »
We will always have those 5 seconds of pure joy where we thought we were going to the superbowl.  :Crybaby:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16558 on: January 21, 2019, 10:11:39 AM »
OK

No doubt it hurts but dudes won, I'd want my dudes to show a little swagger when we do the same.
His us against the world bs this week has been a bit over the top. Acting like the odds were so stacked against him. I mean, I guess whatever you need to do to get yourself up for your 9th Super Bowl you know? You do you, Tom. I've never even been a Brady hater until him and Edleman acted like they're writing some Disney movie this week.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #16559 on: January 21, 2019, 10:12:38 AM »
heart goes out to the kingdom today. the chiefs fanatics that i was watching with last night took the loss significantly better than i would have.

i took the loss incredibly well, so shout out to me. i was at the chiefs-rams game earlier this year and this one felt the same way as that one did, aside from the finality of the season ending of course. an all-timer game, future hall of famers everywhere, huge swings of momentum, lead changes, dramatic 4th quarters, great atmosphere, big stakes, what more can you ask for as a fan.

i always want the chiefs to win, that goes without saying. but winning is overrated. the single most euphoric moment of my life, as pathetic as it is to say, was the dante hall kick return TD in the '03 playoff game. i have watched video of that return* probably 100 times since, and the memories of attending the game with my mom all come rushing back. it was just pure magic. football isn't as important to me today at 32 as it was to me at 16, but the chiefs remain the connection to my childhood and i absolutely love these playoff runs even if they end in so called misery every time (so far).

*this is the loudest/craziest arrowhead has ever been.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16560 on: January 21, 2019, 10:12:54 AM »
OK

His us against the world bs this week has been a bit over the top. Acting like the odds were so stacked against him. I mean, I guess whatever you need to do to get yourself up for your 9th Super Bowl you know? You do you, Tom. I've never even been a Brady hater until him and Edleman acted like they're writing some Disney movie this week.

Agreed. It was laughable.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16561 on: January 21, 2019, 10:14:54 AM »
We will always have those 5 seconds of pure joy where we thought we were going to the superbowl.  :Crybaby:

It was magical. Heartbreak is what gives us those feelings though so save up today for.next January!

Probably would have reviewed and overturned the int into a incomplete catch.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16562 on: January 21, 2019, 10:16:53 AM »
one part of my coping process is to try understanding why dan marino made the playoffs ten times and never won the super bowl can anyone help me i'm so sorry

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16563 on: January 21, 2019, 10:20:30 AM »
He played for the Dolphins

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16564 on: January 21, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »
He played for the Dolphins

in the roughly 15 years before they drafted hall of fame quarterback dan marino, the Dolphins had made it to 3 super bowls, winning two of them.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16565 on: January 21, 2019, 10:27:54 AM »
Then I guess he wasn't that great.  :dunno:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16566 on: January 21, 2019, 10:31:13 AM »
vamos a la ciudad de mexico  :surprised:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16567 on: January 21, 2019, 10:33:20 AM »
Then I guess he wasn't that great.  :dunno:

that's a great point wacky thank you now i'm like well what if pat mahomes isn't that great either  :frown:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16568 on: January 21, 2019, 10:35:22 AM »
vamos a la ciudad de mexico  :surprised:

like i was already planning on going to Soldier field next year but new crap has come to light

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #16569 on: January 21, 2019, 10:40:52 AM »
seeing lots of commentary this morning about the NFL needing to change its overtime rules. i think the overall concept is fine. the only thing i would change is making the team that chooses to receive begin their drive at their own 20 yard line. or maybe you start em even further back, say to the 15 yard line. you have to tweak it to the point where the decision if you win the toss is less obvious.

belichick was an early proponent of kicking off to start OT, depending on conditions and opponent. he's won by kicking off first in OT and he's also lost.

NFL teams score touchdowns on roughly 20 percent of their drives. this year, teams that got ball first in OT scored TDs on their first possession 4 of 17 times (23.5%). these percentages will obviously skew up or down depending on quality of offense or defense, but each coach is free to build their team in accordance with the rules as much as they want.

if the ravens played the pats to a regulation draw and won the toss in OT, my guess is that they would kick off.

i'm obviously not opposed to each team getting a possession in playoff OT. that would be perfectly fine. i don't think that's necessary in regular season games however.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16570 on: January 21, 2019, 10:43:03 AM »
The Road to Chiefs 2020 begins today and it's not a trip to be taken lightly.

#chiefs2020beginstoday

#ChiefsSuper'70and'20

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16571 on: January 21, 2019, 10:48:23 AM »
overtime is the most exciting part of any game that goes to overtime, so it's kinda dumb not try to keep it going for a bit longer.  they should play a full 15 minute quarter with normal rules and then if it's still tied another one and then if it's still tied go to next score wins.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16572 on: January 21, 2019, 10:50:39 AM »
Who do you guys think will be our next D Coordinator?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16573 on: January 21, 2019, 10:53:05 AM »
The Road to Chiefs 2020 begins today and it's not a trip to be taken lightly.

#chiefs2020beginstoday

#ChiefsSuper'70and'20

thank you dax

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16574 on: January 21, 2019, 10:56:43 AM »
Need to adopt college OT rules but start from like the 45 or 50 yard line (out of FG range).  Some of these offenses are too powerful.  I knew once we lost that coin flip that we would lose the game.  I also felt like if we won the coin flip we would win the game.

The most anxiety I have ever had during any type of football game was the Cats 4OT thriller against Texas A&M.  Can you imagine if both games yesterday played that model? 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.