Author Topic: Movie Opinion Thread  (Read 20335 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Opinion Thread
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2010, 06:10:48 PM »
that is crazy, there's so much to do in wichita and people are going to the movies.  weirdness, very much weirdness.

Piss with another attempted thread derail. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2010, 08:52:19 PM »
What aspect of tangled, exactly, did you think was superior to Despicable Me?

Every aspect I can think of.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »

You didn't find the lead male character's complete absence of comedic timing off-putting?  The writing didn't help him much...but I found him to be strait-to-dvd bad.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »

You didn't find the lead male character's complete absence of comedic timing off-putting?

Not nearly as much as Steve Carell's accent.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2010, 12:02:48 AM »

You didn't find the lead male character's complete absence of comedic timing off-putting?

OH, I see. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2010, 02:21:16 AM »
The West Warren IMAX is pretty damn nice, although I think it would have been better in the long-term to build the facility downtown.  I'm sure that for many of you IMAX theaters are old hat, but it was a first time (unless you count the cosmosphere) and was definitely something to remember. 

I got there a bit too close to showtime, however, and had difficulty finding good seats.  It was basically a choice between the side, the top, or the very bottom.  In the end we decided to take a couple seats dead center in the very top row.  From that vantage point the picture and sound were great even if the picture wasn't "larger than life" as it surely would have been if I had managed to grab seats in a lower row. At one point I had to get up and use the restroom.  On my return I watched for a few minutes down in the extreme front, and 60 foot screen was incredible and still nearly crystal clear.  There was a bit of a scaling problem from that vantage point, but it was pretty cool.  I returned to my original seats.

The movie itself was supremely stunning, at least visually.  The story itself was compelling enough but not anything really noteworthy.  Bridges and the Bowie clone both gave really good performances and the rest of the cast didn't detract from the real star of the show, the visual amusement park.  The action, the color, the clarity, it was all spectacular even from the very top row. 

I would definitely recommend and I may see it again myself. 

BTW, it is nice seeing Jeff Bridges getting the credit I've always thought he deserved after all these years. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »

Lot of foreigner hate in this thread.

Offline NXL

• Really Terrible Poster
  • Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • "A whole lot of places ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2010, 03:46:25 PM »
Watched Unthinkable this weekend with Sammy Jackson.  Thought it was a pretty dec suspense movie.

almost rented this a couple nights ago, but went with this instead:

Edge of Darkness
good flick. if you truly have a problem with gibson's hate for jews, then gtfoomf. i don't care about that. i only care about the movie. intense film, had some trouble understanding the english guy, but overall great acting. highly recommended. won't change your life, but you won't be mad about watching it.

Invictus
i was pretty much 'meh' about this movie from the beginning. it's about rugby, which i know nothing about. i knew morgan freeman was gonna kick ass, as usual. matt damon's okay. but it seemed like one of those sports movies that was gonna seem too fake to be likable. and i was correct. i never knew what was going on in the rugby games, and the interaction between the players in the locker room was too fake and terribly acted to get excited about. sure, the parts of the film that highlighted the fact that people were becoming less racist and getting along with each other were priceless, and i had chills and whatever because of it, but the movie as a whole was incredibly forgettable.

Mel doesn't hate Jews.  He just calls them on their bullshit.  There's a difference.  And Edge of Darkness is pure D crap.  Boring as hell.  Rent the British miniseries on which it's based on Netflix--much better.

Invictus had to leave a lot out from the book on which it was based.  If you don't get rugby, maybe you better read up on it or watch a few games on ESPN3.  Rugby is the transition sport between soccer and American football.  It's pretty much that gray area between a bunch of pussies kicking a ball around like puppies (soccer) and a bunch of overpaid crybabies doing stupid end-zone dances (football).  Rugby is like the one path in Buddhism between two extremes.  It is a special world where only men are allowed to play.  Grow a pair and love the game.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2010, 08:44:20 AM »
anybody seen this?

yes.  it was fantastic in a hilarious way

just saw this last night. was all like "well, how about that" the whole way through.

would you rather be in the middle or the end? think about it.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2010, 09:33:19 AM »
anybody seen this?

yes.  it was fantastic in a hilarious way

just saw this last night. was all like "well, how about that" the whole way through.

I thought the movie was pretty bad. I'd rather be in the front. The middle would be the worst.

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2010, 09:36:05 AM »
Human Centipede was just so hilariously unnecessary.  Great way to spend 75 minutes :eybrowraise&smirking tho.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2010, 10:44:27 AM »
anybody seen this?

yes.  it was fantastic in a hilarious way

I thought the movie was pretty bad. I'd rather be in the front. The middle would be the worst.

person in the back seems like they'd die first though.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2011, 08:04:28 AM »
I saw True Grit tonight.  Damon and Bridges were a lot of fun to watch.  I was expecting more of a shoot'em up movie than it turned out to be, but that's okay, and in hindsight, I shouldn't have gone in expecting a "Tombstone"-like movie.  True Grit did it's own thing.  I hadn't seen the original, but the new one definitely had an old timey western feel to it.

Saw this last night. Pretty much agree with everything you said. Might need to see it again sometime to catch all the dialogue... Kind of wanted it to keep going when it was over. I was surprised how much i liked Matt Damon. Coen Bros. are awesome.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2011, 08:19:31 AM »
watched The Informant! last night before the game, great movie.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2011, 08:28:40 AM »
I may rent the "Social Network" tonight.  Seemed stupid when it first came out, but has received rave reviews. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2011, 08:30:09 AM »
I may rent the "Social Network" tonight.  Seemed stupid when it first came out, but has received rave reviews. 

It's a pretty good movie, but if you expect it to live up to the ridiculous amount of hype it has gotten, you will be very disappointed.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2011, 09:34:38 AM »
Has anyone seen Catfish yet?

Was terribly disappointed, will admit they reeled me in with the preview for it though. The whole movie is a giant snooze fest.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
Really want to see The Rite. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »

Was terribly disappointed, will admit they reeled me in with the preview for it though. The whole movie is a giant snooze fest.
caught one once, cooked it in the grill.  tasted ok.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »

:thumbsup:
I may rent the "Social Network" tonight.  Seemed stupid when it first came out, but has received rave reviews.  
Really enjoyed.  Would recommend.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:53 AM »

caught one once, cooked it in the grill.  tasted ok.

It's much better fried.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2011, 09:42:21 AM »

Yeah, book is legit too. ADM is one of my biggest customer  :ohno:

Mark Whitacre: Who'd make up someone named Regina? It's the capital of Saskatchewan.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »
had no idea that The Informant! would be as good as it was.  rare that comedy movies that don't spoon feed the comedy get made anymore.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2011, 08:39:55 AM »
Ryan Reynolds in the The Nines is pretty good.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2011, 01:58:02 PM »
Saw Sherlock Holmes,

Liked it. Kind of hard to follow in that if you get up you might miss something.