Author Topic: midlife crises  (Read 5058 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: midlife crises
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2023, 03:55:23 PM »
We have an outdoor dog that we let inside some. Best kind of dog!

you lost me at "let inside some"

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2023, 04:04:12 PM »

All our pets have been indoor/outdoor.

Ted (cat) is 15 now and doing better than he was a year or two ago. He’s been through the absolute ringer. Tons of fights. Multiple moves. He was an indoor cat only for about a year when he was young and obviously depressed at the time. Been a farm cat too. He’s a boss.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2023, 04:07:36 PM »
What determines if a dog is an outdoor dog vs indoor dog? Is it even legal to have a dog outdoors 247365 in a city?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2023, 04:09:10 PM »

you lost me at "let inside some"
KIDS! Same with our "outdoor" only cats

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2023, 04:09:55 PM »
I thought pro-cancer was the worst thing about cf3.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2023, 04:11:30 PM »
Can 6 chickens really smell all that bad? Maybe I need to run an experiment.

Growing up we would pen up 4-6. I didn’t notice a smell unless you were in the coop. I don’t know if being in the country, compared to in town, makes a difference or if I just have no sense of smell. I imagine cleaning out your coop makes a difference and we were pretty good about that.
Yep. Just clean out the coop once a week. If you have wood floors, put down a vapor barrier and cover with straw. Keeps the doodoo off the wood.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2023, 04:11:50 PM »
What determines if a dog is an outdoor dog vs indoor dog? Is it even legal to have a dog outdoors 247365 in a city?

an outdoor dog never comes in the house. doesn't seem very confusing.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2023, 04:12:09 PM »

Growing up we would pen up 4-6. I didn’t notice a smell unless you were in the coop. I don’t know if being in the country, compared to in town, makes a difference or if I just have no sense of smell. I imagine cleaning out your coop makes a difference and we were pretty good about that.
Yep. Just clean out the coop once a week. If you have wood floors, put down a vapor barrier and cover with straw. Keeps the doodoo off the wood.

man, owning chickens whips ass!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2023, 04:15:45 PM »

man, owning chickens whips ass!
We free range for the most part. They all come back to the coop each night. Keep the young ones in separate pens until they're big enough to not get killed by the older hens or humped to death by the dirty ol male genitals.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2023, 04:18:56 PM »

I'm sure it's legal provided you have adequate shelter and access to water and food.  I've never met someone who lives in a city that just keeps their dog outside all the time though, lots of dog people let the thing sleep in the bed with them.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2023, 04:44:23 PM »
I feel like most "outdoor dogs" live like 5 years max before they run off or get hit by a car. granted this could just be my farm dog experience.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2023, 04:48:07 PM »

I'm sure it's legal provided you have adequate shelter and access to water and food.  I've never met someone who lives in a city that just keeps their dog outside all the time though, lots of dog people let the thing sleep in the bed with them.
Never encountered an outdoor dog besides farms

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2023, 04:49:05 PM »
I feel like most "outdoor dogs" live like 5 years max before they run off or get hit by a car. granted this could just be my farm dog experience.

yeah, it's definitely darwin in action. we had one that just had "it". name was max. half german shepard half huskie. perfect sw ks breed (lmao wtf?). but, he dominated farm life. probably because he was big and mean as crap. but only seemed like it. irl he was a giant teddy bear. but he barked like crazy whenever anyone drove within 1/4 mile from our house which was his main job. he lived to be like 15 years old which is insane because he never entered a house and would lose his mind if you tried to make him come into the house and obviously lived a tough old farm dog life. he was the only animal I ever saw my dad show any kind of emotion towards. when he died my dad put him in a 50 gallon drum and buried it on our ranch with a front end loader somewhere. kind of weird right? yeah, I know. pretty fuckin' sweet though.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2023, 05:05:56 PM »
I am definitely pro dog. I had Goldens for many years, and after they died switched to little poodle mixes and am very happy with the decision to have little lap dogs. Definitely make my life better.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2023, 06:54:57 PM »
I like living next to other dogs and my dog likes it too. Both are infinitely better than living with or near children.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2023, 06:58:49 PM »
I have indoor/outdoor dogs. Basset hounds. They’re awesome.

I am a dog whisperer. Show me a mean dog or a dog that doesn’t like strangers and I’ll have a new bestie.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2023, 07:00:31 PM »
Dogs pick up on bad energy so that's probably why all these weirdos don't like dogs
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2023, 08:35:16 PM »
Buncha secret service types on this blog

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2023, 09:35:34 PM »
All these mid lifers not liking dogs. Such a sad life. You still have 40 years to get it right.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2023, 09:51:06 PM »
I like it when my co-workers bring their dogs to work. I really like it when oscar (Shih Tzu) comes and lays in the sun spot in my office.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2023, 10:50:27 PM »
you dog people shouldn't get so defensive about having your dog. I'm for it. for you, just not for me personally. it's fine.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2023, 07:17:48 AM »
Same. The wet nose and the hair and the licking, it's not for me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2023, 09:57:58 AM »
I have a dog and kids. I barely like mine, don't want anything to do with anyone else's.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2023, 10:19:34 AM »
What's the complaint with chickens? If it's the noise, it can't be any worse than most peoples dogs.

I know this is unpopular, but I don't like living near dogs either.
Agree. I appreciate dogs for what they are but prefer not to be around them all else equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter how much people like their dog there is no way anybody enjoys living around other dogs.

My neighbor has no dogs but loves my dogs and always ask's when he can watch them. Every day when he gets home my dogs hear his truck pull in, run to that corner of the lawn and then he walks over and pets them over the fence.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2023, 10:26:14 AM »

yeah, it's definitely darwin in action. we had one that just had "it". name was max. half german shepard half huskie. perfect sw ks breed (lmao wtf?). but, he dominated farm life. probably because he was big and mean as crap. but only seemed like it. irl he was a giant teddy bear. but he barked like crazy whenever anyone drove within 1/4 mile from our house which was his main job. he lived to be like 15 years old which is insane because he never entered a house and would lose his mind if you tried to make him come into the house and obviously lived a tough old farm dog life. he was the only animal I ever saw my dad show any kind of emotion towards. when he died my dad put him in a 50 gallon drum and buried it on our ranch with a front end loader somewhere. kind of weird right? yeah, I know. pretty fuckin' sweet though.

Great story, Max lived a great farm dog life.

My grandparents had one farm dog (collie) that lived to like 12 when I was younger then went through 2-3 other outside farm dogs in like 6 years before they moved into town.

Every time lil ben ji would come to visit he would be excited to see the dog and it would always be a different one

ben ji "GRANDPA! Where is Gus?!?"
grandpa "He ate some rat poison"

ben ji "GRANDPA! Where is Tom!?!"
grandpa "Got hit by a car"