Author Topic: the coming debt limit war  (Read 2290 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
the coming debt limit war
« on: May 01, 2023, 07:16:58 PM »
with yellen saying today that treasury may run out of money as early as june 1, feels like it's time for a thread to discuss this slow motion disaster.

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1653154906528784384

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: the coming debt limit war
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 07:24:38 PM »
I just can’t fathom they won’t cut a deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 04:19:38 PM »
Has the Imperial Presidency finally come down off the throne and declared that they're willing to talk?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 05:49:10 PM »
Talk about what

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 05:54:17 PM »
 :lol: :lol:

KK - For the Imperial Presidency (just not the Dick Cheney version)

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 10:47:41 AM »
This shouldn't even be a conversation or debate, this is hostage taking and nothing more. Notice that the Democrats don't touch this when they're not in the White House and it passes without fail. The GOP is using this point blank to extract as much pain as possible to cause either a complete depression by defaulting or a severe recession by spending cuts.

Here is something the GOP won't tell you is they don't care about Debt and Deficits while they're in office....also that they passed the Debt Ceiling 3 times under Trump. This is only something that happens under a Democratic Administration much like they did about a decade ago under Obama.

This conversation only adds fuel to the fire that the world should move on from the dollar...which oddly enough the GOP is putting ads out for.

The real issue here is quite honestly the Media is making this a horse race instead of what it really is a nuclear bomb with an idiot pounding on the button to detonate it. The media really needs to stop both siding this crap, this is a GOP caused crisis and should be treated as such this Debt Ceiling talk. The GOP is counting on the media to Both Sides the blame so they can do whatever they want with this round of painful spending cuts...such as aimed at Veterans which sorry the GOP doesn't have a leg to stand on, saying it's not true though it absolutely is, after the initially blocked the PACT Act, and celebrated that they did with fist pounding and cheers on the Senate floor.
Hell they're threatening the VA with Budget cuts now due to them saying it could result in 22% cut.
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/05/02/house-republican-threatens-cut-va-budget-over-agencys-warnings-about-budget-cuts.html

Want to negotiate...do it over the budget, not over the Debt Ceiling which would destroy the full faith and credit of the US Government.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 11:07:58 AM by turnbull »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 03:07:23 PM »
Stunning that @turnbull is all for the imperial presidency (Democrats only)

Washington for "cutting the budget" . . . a decrease in the requested increase

Meanwhile senior leadership of OPM cannot document the status of $36 billion dollars in annual federal employee salaries nor can the properly document the work domicile status of 10's of thousands of Federal Employees.

The DOD and Democrats refuse to accept any proposal to audit the funds going to Ukraine and most certainly the DOD is going to fail it's 6th straight audit.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 03:11:48 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 08:15:31 PM »
Stunning that @turnbull is all for the imperial presidency (Democrats only)

Washington for "cutting the budget" . . . a decrease in the requested increase

Meanwhile senior leadership of OPM cannot document the status of $36 billion dollars in annual federal employee salaries nor can the properly document the work domicile status of 10's of thousands of Federal Employees.

The DOD and Democrats refuse to accept any proposal to audit the funds going to Ukraine and most certainly the DOD is going to fail it's 6th straight audit.

Dax.... know you like to mention me, but I just have you on ignore...whatever conspiracy theory you cook up i'm not going to read it, nor do I care....the fact is the Debt Ceiling is only an issue when the Democrats have the White House....only loser galaxy brains think otherwise

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 10:28:26 PM »
LOL, you're so full of crap dude.

The DOD has failed it's last 5 audits, that's not a conspiracy theory

The OPM Directors were just in hearings, they could not answer the questions nor clarify or explain themselves, that's not a conspiracy theory

All of these things I mentioned are things that the government spends money on and thus they are 1000% part of government spending and the budget.

Even the most simp of simp brains understands base line budgeting, that's not a conspiracy theory

You're just here to be a hyper-partisan simp who is completely incapable of understanding and discussing the facts

Oh, the concept of the imperial presidency is not a conspiracy theory

The conspiracy theory tapout is old and tired, do better

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 10:35:26 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 10:45:29 AM »
So if hypothetically, the House refuses to raise the debt ceiling and the executive branch decides to continue operating business as usual, then what happens? Do the republicans have to go to the supreme court and argue for the court to make the country default, or is there some other mechanism to make the default more immediate?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2023, 11:44:20 AM »
The executive can invoke the 14th ammendment and can circumvent congress to avoid catastrophe but IDK

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/could-biden-avert-debt-default-by-using-14th-amendment-2023-05-02/

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 05:43:13 PM »
Lotta folks want him to mint a $1T coin to bypass the issue. There is apparently some legal ppl on both sides of this issue regarding if he has the power to do so. The most recent ones I have heard are saying the pres does indeed have this power. My take is that we seem to be in a “eff your forgiveness and I don’t need your permission” political era and whenever there is a question regarding if power exists or not, the power will probably be grabbed.

Economically, it seems like a bad idea, but I really am not at all educated on this.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2023, 06:08:34 PM »
Lotta folks want him to mint a $1T coin to bypass the issue. There is apparently some legal ppl on both sides of this issue regarding if he has the power to do so. The most recent ones I have heard are saying the pres does indeed have this power. My take is that we seem to be in a “eff your forgiveness and I don’t need your permission” political era and whenever there is a question regarding if power exists or not, the power will probably be grabbed.

Economically, it seems like a bad idea, but I really am not at all educated on this.

I don't think that part of the 14th Amendment has ever been litigated, so it's fertile ground, IMO. I guess it's a good failsafe to have in your back pocket. But honestly, the historical reason for including that was because the Secessionists tried to disavow their debts during the Civil War. Who knows, anymore ...

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2023, 08:07:54 PM »
Well, passively refusing to vote for an increase to the debt ceiling is a whole lot different politically than actively suing the president to try to make us default on our debt and plunge into a recession. It's a lot harder to blame Biden if he invokes the 14th to avoid the issue.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 02:06:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1658883675667169308

I was highly doubtful this was even an option.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2023, 02:16:47 PM »
A clean debt deal would be much preferred. The reason that part of the 14th Amendment was written was because southern states were trying to repudiate their debt obligations during the Civil War. I'm not aware that it's ever been tested. However, it's not clear to me who would have standing to challenge it in court.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2023, 02:23:15 PM »
I'd like to think the republicans aren't dumb enough to challenge Biden using the 14th in court, but I'm not sure.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 02:31:09 PM »
YTD compared to this time last FFY.  The Federal government has spent $266 billion more.  They're about ready to run out of money on the last off budget expenditure for the UkrgroGrifters, so no doubt another $45 billion to $50 billion off budget line item for that cluster is coming around (again), hopefully the Ukrogrifters will keep skimming off the top.

For FFY '23 a $1.4 trillion dollar deficit is predicted.  Current projected budget deficits over the next 9 FFY average are around $2 trillion per year.  Adding an estimated $19.4 Trillion to the national debt.

It's just money until we say it isn't just money . . . #blueanon  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 02:35:51 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2023, 09:36:00 PM »

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2023, 06:33:52 AM »
I'd like to think the republicans aren't dumb enough to challenge Biden using the 14th in court, but I'm not sure.

They are Chip Roy already saying they’ll blow everything up, that is the goal per their own membership, destroy your presidency or we destroy the American economy and American reserve currency status. However, the debt ceiling is one of those things when a Democrat is in office, it’s the same thing for the debt and deficits. These are things that only matter to the GOP when a Democrat is in the White House. Especially after the 4 years of trump’s spending that even would make a drunken sailor blush.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2023, 09:14:12 AM »
The idea that fiscal responsibility is defaulting on debt sounds about right for the right. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2023, 09:16:40 AM »
Just money (but only if a Democrat is President) . . . #blueanon

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2023, 09:50:21 AM »
Just money (but only if a Democrat is President) . . . #blueanon

Pass the potatoes

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2023, 05:08:59 PM »
Rep. Jeff Jackson is a guy I ran across on Reddit who does a seemingly good job explaining this debt ceiling negotiation.  He has posted several videos explaining how McCarthy is stuck.  If he votes
 to raise the debt ceiling, the morons in the GOP party will have an easy time recalling McCarthy from the speakership.  As part of the negotiation for McCarthy to get the necessary votes to be speaker, he included a change to the recall process that only requires one GOP congressperson to vote for a recall.  With MTG and her pack of drooling idiots, if he McCarthy votes for the ceiling, they will most likely recall him and he will most likely lose his speakership.  So, if this is all correct, this negotiation isn't about the debt ceiling, it's about McCarthy trying to find a way to do all this without him losing his job.  We are looking at a mumped up recession because this losery [redacted] is putting his speakership in front of the country.

Another shocker.  The party that is screaming about the country being ruined is once again the force that is doing it's best to ruin the country. 

Jackson is a dem, for full disclosure.  Maybe I am getting Revolvered and this is all crazy talk, but it doesn't seem to be.