Author Topic: The official goEMAW Swimming Pool thread.  (Read 5727 times)

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The official goEMAW Swimming Pool thread.
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2023, 04:54:19 PM »
Is Post Oak meant for the smoker heating that tub?

Idk my bff Jill

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2023, 11:26:37 PM »
rough ridin' sick

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2023, 11:00:17 AM »
Closing Friday on a house with a pool. What chemicals should I get ast house is out of town so harder water? Also need to look into a good cover and pump for it. Any other recommendos lmk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2023, 12:03:25 PM »
Any other recommendos lmk

fill it in with good dirt asap.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2023, 12:27:13 PM »
An above ground pool might make an amazing raised bed garden

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2023, 02:02:20 PM »
An above ground pool might make an amazing raised bed garden
Half buried so the top of the pool is waist high. Put all your veggies on the outside radius and fill the middle hard to reach part with some wildflower mix.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2023, 04:26:05 PM »
sell the house to a friend and then use the pool you dumbass

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2023, 07:59:22 PM »
Closing Friday on a house with a pool. What chemicals should I get ast house is out of town so harder water? Also need to look into a good cover and pump for it. Any other recommendos lmk

I am not familiar with any treatment that can help with hard water.  In regards to covers, I am not super familiar.  Most of the covers I deal with are built into the decking of the pool and are handled by a specific pool company cover.

edit in bold

« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 09:59:04 PM by AST »

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2023, 08:05:07 PM »
It was at this moment that yla realized he mumped up
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2023, 01:12:11 PM »
I have to put shitload of dry acid in my hot tub when I refill it to bring the ph down.  Our well water is pretty hard.
@mikec2w

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2023, 01:21:25 PM »
I have to put shitload of dry acid in my hot tub when I refill it to bring the ph down.  Our well water is pretty hard.
This is what I subscribe for.. has a hot tub as well.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2023, 03:36:09 PM »
XT does acid in his hot tub, noted.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2023, 03:58:25 PM »

Does the house have a waterbed too?

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2023, 04:36:54 PM »

Does the house have a waterbed too?
I wish.. it does have a jacuzzi tub that is probably big enough to fit my whole family in. Once kids get old enough that sexcuzzi tub is going away. that particular bathroom has mirrors.. above and all around  :fatty:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2023, 06:02:14 PM »
Hard water is from calcium, and can not be removed, only diluted with fresh water that is not hard.  You could have just said high ph.  That is different and easily treatable.  Careful though. Chemicals used to lower ph also lower alkalinity.  You will most likely need to use a chemical to raise alkalinity once ph is lowered.  Having good alkalinity is key to protecting pool and equipment.

Welcome to your full time chemistry experiment.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2023, 04:46:02 PM »
I have found that once I get my pH close to where it needs to be, the alkalinity is in a good range.  At this point, I have it down to a science regarding how much of everything I have to put in when refilling the ol' tub. 
@mikec2w

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2023, 04:46:27 PM »

Only if @Winters comes to visit.
@mikec2w

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2023, 05:30:06 PM »

Only if @Winters comes to visit.
You just name the time
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2023, 07:31:56 AM »
My pump is not variable speed and hogs electricity like Tang and transfers. Would like to swap it out for a variable speed one with a timer. It looks like I could just disconnect fittings on both sides and swap them out, plug the new one in, set timer, and high five my wife. Is there anything else to worry about? 

What pump should I buy?  Pool is just under 20,000gal. 

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2023, 07:35:34 AM »
My pump is not variable speed and hogs electricity like Tang and transfers. Would like to swap it out for a variable speed one with a timer. It looks like I could just disconnect fittings on both sides and swap them out, plug the new one in, set timer, and high five my wife. Is there anything else to worry about? 

Most pumps do not simply line up with other pumps irt unions on the pump inlet and outlet unless the pump you currently have has a vs model you can swap it out with.  So plumbing will probably be required.

Additionally, switching to a vs pump may require you to upgrade your electrical circuit supplying the pump.  VS pumps generally are rated at higher amps than single speed pumps.  You can program them to draw less electricity but the circuit has to be able to withhold  the max amps that the equipment on it draws.

Send me pics of equipment, pump, motor rating plate on pump, and pool.  We can point you in the right direction.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 09:07:08 AM by AST »

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2023, 07:57:10 AM »

you got cut sheets for the existing pump and the proposed replacement?

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2023, 06:28:12 AM »

Most pumps do not simply line up with other pumps irt unions on the pump inlet and outlet unless the pump you currently have has a vs model you can swap it out with.  So plumbing will probably be required.

Additionally, switching to a vs pump may require you to upgrade your electrical circuit supplying the pump.  VS pumps generally are rated at higher amps than single speed pumps.  You can program them to draw less electricity but the circuit has to be able to withhold  the max amps that the equipment on it draws.

Send me pics of equipment, pump, motor rating plate on pump, and pool.  We can point you in the right direction.

Oh dear, CNS must have electrocuted himself as he has gone radio silent.  Prayers up.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2023, 10:08:44 AM »

Oh dear, CNS must have electrocuted himself as he has gone radio silent.  Prayers up.

just to be a total nerd here, but the reason the wiring could need to be upgraded is because those variable speed pumps are rated to run at 125% design speed. And since they are capable of doing that, its a good idea to make sure that the wiring supplying the power to those motors is big enough that they don't burn up. In theory, as long as the drive doesn't run the motor any higher than 60 Hz you won't have a problem. Thank you for coming to my TED TALK

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2023, 07:12:54 PM »

just to be a total nerd here, but the reason the wiring could need to be upgraded is because those variable speed pumps are rated to run at 125% design speed. And since they are capable of doing that, its a good idea to make sure that the wiring supplying the power to those motors is big enough that they don't burn up. In theory, as long as the drive doesn't run the motor any higher than 60 Hz you won't have a problem. Thank you for coming to my TED TALK

Not to be a total business owner geek, but the reason to only install it so long as the circuit is sized to the max rating of the pump is because I don’t think a court of law is going to go along with “I know it was undersized to this pumps maximum capabilities, but he said he would not run it higher than I programmed it.  I am really sorry his wires melted and caught fire and his house burnt down but the homeowner said ge would not do that.”

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2023, 11:16:30 AM »
Scariest moment in my pool career just unfolded this morning. Customer having a big party this weekend and I was asked over to fix a pump leak and check all the equipment. So I am checking everything. The last thing I check is the air blower for spa. The instant I press the button on the automation to engage the relay for the air blower and explosion occurred. Momentary fireball, noise concussion so loud that I could not hear anything other than ringing, landscaping pebbles from the ground cover raining down, jagged pvc shrapnel everywhere with a piece even knocking my hat off. All while I am trying to figure out what the eff just happened and if I am still in danger.

About 5 minutes later I could finally hear again and there is still a slight ringing in my ears 1.5 hours later. I have always known that you can not do any sort of plumbing repairs on an air blower line without giving ample time for the pvc glue & cleaner fumes time to vent. That is why I always return the next day to reinstall the blower on the plumbing. But there was no plumbing done today, or by anyone recently on the property. Briefly spoke with the customer and she said they use the blower occasionally.

I have spoken with several trusted industry veterans and the general conclusion is this. Someway somehow something highly combustive had found its way into the blower line. When and how is beyond any possible scenario that any of us can come up with. This is just not rough ridin' normal. So the moment the blower motor engaged either a spark or the change in pressure caused the explosion.

Still shaking. I would call it a day but these customers need the pump replaced for their party.