Author Topic: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)  (Read 11800 times)

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)
« Reply #325 on: December 01, 2023, 12:04:07 PM »
the inflection point at which you become old is when your mustache looks handsome instead of gross

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 02, 2023, 08:13:29 AM »
the inflection point at which you become old is when your mustache looks handsome instead of gross

Was Kevin Costner "old" in Dances With Wolves?
Was Kurt Russel "old" in Tombstone? (This could really apply to all those dudes in Tombstone not named Sam Elliott)

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 02, 2023, 09:41:12 AM »

Was Kurt Russel "old" in Tombstone? (This could really apply to all those dudes in Tombstone not named Sam Elliott)

Were they old? No. But were they old souls? Absolutely

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 02, 2023, 10:59:58 AM »

Were they old? No. But were they old souls? Absolutely

No disrespect mocat, but your "deep thought" is rough ridin' stupid.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 02, 2023, 11:05:18 AM »
^
Looks handsome in a mustache
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 02, 2023, 12:43:12 PM »
It might be stupid aye

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 02, 2023, 01:01:11 PM »
if bottomless pits were a real thing, what would be the most common cause of death for people that fell into them?

my first thought was boredom-induced suicide...like after several hours of falling you're just like okay well the only thing that can happen is i die its just a matter of when, so i'm going to see if i can careen off one of these sidewalls really hard until i die from it

and then my next thought was...well, probably exhaustion? Like i can't imagine its possible to fall asleep while falling at near terminal velocity, so i would imagine you are just awake for several days before your body is just too exhausted from lack of sleep and you die from it.

Dehydration?
Has to be this.  The human body can live for almost 3 weeks with no food, but only 3 days with no water.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 11, 2023, 08:28:50 AM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 11, 2023, 08:35:46 AM »
"Every time Jesus turned to hand out a piece of bread and fish, I just put a little bit more in the basket. It was hilarious, you should have seen it. Almost as fun as that time we 'ran out of wine' LOL."

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2023, 06:58:31 PM »
There are more hydrogen atoms in a single molecule of water than there are stars in our entire solar system

Put that in your brain pipe and smoke it like a marijuana cigarette

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 12, 2024, 09:16:37 AM »
Why are toasters made with a level 6 setting? It could only serve to incinerate your food. Also, the four set of toasts that you toast on level 3 will be twice as toasted as the first set of toasts.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 12, 2024, 10:04:08 AM »
Why are toasters made with a level 6 setting? It could only serve to incinerate your food. Also, the four set of toasts that you toast on level 3 will be twice as toasted as the first set of toasts.

level 6 was developed exclusively for POP TARTS, but be careful!

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 12, 2024, 10:21:38 AM »
There are more hydrogen atoms in a single molecule of water than there are stars in our entire solar system

:Wha:
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 12, 2024, 10:30:36 AM »

I remember reading this and thinking, "BAC, you rascal. You almost got me. Well, he almost got me, again."

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 12, 2024, 11:02:03 AM »

The pop tarts package explicitly warns you not to try this sort of thing. It will turn the filling into scorching magma.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 12, 2024, 11:13:19 AM »

The pop tarts package explicitly warns you not to try this sort of thing. It will turn the filling into scorching magma.
if you are afraid to die...can you ever truly live?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 12, 2024, 11:22:05 AM »

I remember reading this and thinking, "BAC, you rascal. You almost got me. Well, he almost got me, again."

I definitely "not so fast my friend" twice on it as well.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2024, 12:06:07 PM »

I definitely "not so fast my friend" twice on it as well.

i have been known to be a bit of a trickster, from time to time.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 02, 2024, 04:29:15 PM »
ok this is borderline pit fodder, so i'm going to ask that we stay focused for this one:

I saw a Xcreet or w/e the other day that said something to the effect of "when it comes to healthcare...you either believe it is a human right, or you believe it is a privilege and if you get sick and can't afford to pay then you deserve to die, and there's no in between."

Now, if you want to discuss the merits of universal healthcare vs privatized healthcare there are probably a bunch of threads in the pit for that. What i'm thinking about is the "its either this or its that" aspect of that statement. I am not usually wont to deal in absolutes, and especially with a topic as complicated as healthcare it seems crazy that it could really boil down to either this or that...but i am having a hard time coming up with a third, secret thing it could be.

Is it fair to say when it comes to healthcare you either think its a human right, or you think its a privilege that not everybody deserves? I dunno, it really does kinda seem like its one or the other. but i am trying to keep an open mind so if there is a gray area in there please let me know.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 02, 2024, 04:46:49 PM »
ok this is borderline pit fodder, so i'm going to ask that we stay focused for this one:

I saw a Xcreet or w/e the other day that said something to the effect of "when it comes to healthcare...you either believe it is a human right, or you believe it is a privilege and if you get sick and can't afford to pay then you deserve to die, and there's no in between."

Now, if you want to discuss the merits of universal healthcare vs privatized healthcare there are probably a bunch of threads in the pit for that. What i'm thinking about is the "its either this or its that" aspect of that statement. I am not usually wont to deal in absolutes, and especially with a topic as complicated as healthcare it seems crazy that it could really boil down to either this or that...but i am having a hard time coming up with a third, secret thing it could be.

Is it fair to say when it comes to healthcare you either think its a human right, or you think its a privilege that not everybody deserves? I dunno, it really does kinda seem like its one or the other. but i am trying to keep an open mind so if there is a gray area in there please let me know.

Here is a third thing:

If we went single payer, and added regulation, we would reduce costs.  That should appeal to everyone. 

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 02, 2024, 04:47:17 PM »
There are very few psychopaths that believe emergency care should be means based so really it's just a spectrum of where you feel medical care should be shifted to what the person can afford (or what the cost/benefit ratio to society is in publicly funded Healthcare).
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 02, 2024, 09:13:44 PM »
When it comes right down to it, might actually does make right … or rights. This includes healthcare rights.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 02, 2024, 09:44:56 PM »
When it comes right down to it, might actually does make right … or rights. This includes healthcare rights.
For the vast majority of our species’ time on this planet that has been the case. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 02, 2024, 10:10:45 PM »
For the vast majority of our species’ time on this planet that has been the case.

The whole time. If you’re mighty enough you have the right to do anything you want. But the mighty can be benevolent and grant rights to those less mighty.

In the natural/material world we don’t have a right to healthcare or anything, unless someone or some group is mighty annd benevolent enough to enforce said right on our behalf.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 02, 2024, 10:21:24 PM »
There are very few psychopaths that believe emergency care should be means based so really it's just a spectrum of where you feel medical care should be shifted to what the person can afford (or what the cost/benefit ratio to society is in publicly funded Healthcare).

How do you quantify what counts as emergency care? How big does that mole have to get before you can have it checked to see if it's malignant? If a rusty nail goes through your foot can you just bring the nail with you to the ER to prove this could be fatal?

Also for the sake of this thought experiment I'm operating within the boundaries of our current system, or how our system could realistically be in the not so distant future