Author Topic: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)  (Read 10883 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2023, 08:47:28 PM »
Makes one wonder, doesn’t it.
I mean, yeah. You’d basically be inventing a new religion. The Jesus in the Bible was incredibly clear about the supremacy of God.

But that’s only the Christianity agreed upon by the Council of Nicaea, and its later offshoots.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2023, 09:12:46 PM »
I mean, yeah. You’d basically be inventing a new religion. The Jesus in the Bible was incredibly clear about the supremacy of God.

But that’s only the Christianity agreed upon by the Council of Nicaea, and its later offshoots.
Yeah, most people don’t know that groups of dudes got together every so often to simply decide what made it in and what was cut.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2023, 10:07:29 PM »
Add Swedenborg to the earlier list
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2023, 10:17:08 PM »
I sometimes wonder…if there was a magical ledger, able to keep track of all atrocities and acts of extreme cruelty that have been perpetrated by mankind throughout the course of human history…would would be the ratio of those acts that were carried out in the name of religion/to appease a higher power vs those which were committed bc the responsible party felt like it

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2023, 11:46:44 PM »
I sometimes wonder…if there was a magical ledger, able to keep track of all atrocities and acts of extreme cruelty that have been perpetrated by mankind throughout the course of human history…would would be the ratio of those acts that were carried out in the name of religion/to appease a higher power vs those which were committed bc the responsible party felt like it

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2023, 11:53:34 PM »

Ok, but the point of the entire exercise was to try to include as much of the credible stuff as possible.

With the internet and "alternative facts" being what they are today, anyone could act the same way about Encyclopedia Britannica. ("But that's only the version of America agreed upon by the people who stole the election from Trump in 2020")

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2023, 07:27:52 AM »
I think the point is that those dudes back then were probably just as motivated to appease their leaders and reinforce their positions of power as anyone is today.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2023, 02:02:03 PM »
i think i would rather there be a void than reincarnation. even if you were lucky to be reincarnated as like a mammal, most animals suffer and then die a terrible death. but most of the time we'd get reincarnated as something gross like worms or cockroaches. or some single-celled bullshit. although their lifespans aren't long so you get a lot of chances at getting a decent draw.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2023, 02:20:40 PM »
Reincarnation seems like punishment
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2023, 02:30:00 PM »

Ok but what if your consciousness gets reset with each reincarnation? Maybe that’s what deja vu is…an experience from your previous incarnation that wasn’t fully reset

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2023, 02:31:27 PM »
1 life is enough for this ksu cat
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2023, 02:35:58 PM »

Every atom in your body now used to be something else.  A bunch of them used to be other living stuff.

Also, Heaven and Hell are both right here.  We get to make either for ourselves and live in either we choose.  +1 on the non-existence crew. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2023, 02:46:31 PM »
by any standards the nerds in revenge of the nerds were pretty big druggies

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2023, 02:49:27 PM »
What if you came back as someone that made it in the boner thread?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2023, 02:55:20 PM »

Just about all of them fall under the second category, but a whole lot of them used religion as a convenient excuse to convince the masses to support them.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2023, 03:21:33 PM »

Just about all of them fall under the second category, but a whole lot of them used religion as a convenient excuse to convince the masses to support them.

hmmm...interesting take. I suppose i am of the opinion that, when you take out the truly psychopathic ones, that most people at least on some level believe in what they are doing. Or at least believe that they are on the side of righteousness. I don't think there are many people who are doing or going along with something that they know to be evil. Granted, i think there is also a level of cognitive dissonance there such that they will happily accept whatever flemsy excuse aligns with their worldview to justify their actions, but nonetheless i still think they believe what they are doing/supporting is right.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2023, 05:58:28 PM »
I believe that the teachings of Christ at their heart are Eastern and non-dualistic in nature. The big hang up is that it is seen and understood through a western dualistic frame of mind. True Christianity, actually walking Jesus’ walk to our best ability is almost incompatible with a western point of view, which is inherently dualistic and imo selfish.

There is a podcast on Spotify called The Tao of Christ by Marshall Davis. The first few episodes are simply him reading his book of the same name with some intro information and some at the end of each episode.

Here is a link if you’d like to listen … https://open.spotify.com/episode/6FwHN5mwBvwNXPsIyPRzoE?si=m5oxmTKQQhqrq7OdEzuk1g&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A4es2YzqSSsqhxm8OqfXuT1

Here is another Spotify audio file of the Tao Te Ching itself. I believe the narrator reads three different translations back to back to back… https://open.spotify.com/episode/3ubqxoQr6dEbaCy77meQwM?si=Lq58ukaWQt-6Epelck736g

Nondualism wiki … https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondualism
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 06:40:55 PM by nicname »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2023, 06:13:53 PM »

hmmm...interesting take. I suppose i am of the opinion that, when you take out the truly psychopathic ones, that most people at least on some level believe in what they are doing. Or at least believe that they are on the side of righteousness. I don't think there are many people who are doing or going along with something that they know to be evil. Granted, i think there is also a level of cognitive dissonance there such that they will happily accept whatever flemsy excuse aligns with their worldview to justify their actions, but nonetheless i still think they believe what they are doing/supporting is right.

You need religion to justify wars in a feudal system because you have to get support to launch a successful campaign. It wasn't all that important to Ghengis Khan, Alexander, or Caesar, though.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2023, 06:37:46 PM »
Honestly not sure if nicname means dualistic or duelistic

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2023, 06:38:56 PM »
Honestly not sure if nicname means dualistic or duelistic

Dual. Fixed

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2023, 07:16:54 AM »

Maybe human is the lowest level.  Fruit Fly is highest level or something. 

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2023, 07:57:46 AM »
everybody has a threshold for the ratio of water:dead body for which they would swim in that body of water. Like for example, most people would swim in the ocean. there are definitely dead bodies in the ocean. If there was a dead body in a swimming pool, you probably wouldn't want to swim in it. What is your volume of water:dead body ratio? be honest

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2023, 08:10:45 AM »
How dead we talking here?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2023, 08:31:16 AM »
How dead we talking here?

this is really an interesting follow up question. On the one hand, a freshly dead body (like in the last 20 minutes) is a lot less gross from the standpoint of bloat/decay/smell/fishys already ate the eyeballs, etc. but then that begs the question what are you doing swimming around someone who just died a few minutes ago? What are you up to, fella?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2023, 08:34:25 AM »
to follow-up with gross water things, think about the amount of crap and piss in the ocean.  now think about the amount of crap and piss in a swimming pool.  still gross.

also, i'm grossed out by the idea of a public pool because tons of kids are pissing in it, but i have no problem being in a private pool with a bunch of kids that i know, even though they're definitely pissing in it also.