Author Topic: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)  (Read 10876 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)
« on: February 18, 2023, 09:56:33 AM »
I dunno about you guys, but I think lots of deep thoughts. Figured I would create a thread for others to share their deep thoughts, as well as giving others the opportunity to reflect and hopefully learn something.

I’ll get started with a topical one:
I wonder how many women flashed their boobs at mardis gras before everyone was like “yes this is just part of the celebration”

I guess that could apply to many instances of being the first person to do something. Like I bet the first guy to milk a cow, everybody probably thought that dude was a pervert.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 09:59:05 AM »
As a kid, I was pretty sure that quicksand and the Bermuda Triangle were things I was going to have to worry about. These have now been replaced with parasitic infections in the skin of the parineum

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 10:06:27 AM »
Pit thread? Nah this is gonna end up in Wackys World.

However. I do have deep thoughts on stuff all the time. Will be interested in seeing where this thread goes.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 10:37:22 AM »
What's the deal with soup and bread? Whether you put the bread in the soup or the soup in the bread, you still end up with the same thing: sloppy bread.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 01:01:49 PM »
What's the deal with soup and bread? Whether you put the bread in the soup or the soup in the bread, you still end up with the same thing: sloppy bread.

Given enough time, everything has an entropy of 0

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 01:06:56 PM »
Right. I often have deep thoughts about the inevitable heat death of the Universe.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 01:10:49 PM »
Is it true that if you don't use it you'll lose it?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 03:54:07 PM »
I dunno about you guys, but I think lots of deep thoughts. Figured I would create a thread for others to share their deep thoughts, as well as giving others the opportunity to reflect and hopefully learn something.

I’ll get started with a topical one:
I wonder how many women flashed their boobs at mardis gras before everyone was like “yes this is just part of the celebration”

I guess that could apply to many instances of being the first person to do something. Like I bet the first guy to milk a cow, everybody probably thought that dude was a pervert.

Pretty sure goats were milked way before cows.  This brings up a deep thought about which event came first, goat roping or goat milking?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 04:06:30 PM by Katpappy »
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 04:05:38 PM »
As a kid, I was pretty sure that quicksand and the Bermuda Triangle were things I was going to have to worry about. These have now been replaced with parasitic infections in the skin of the parineum

Your deep thought has made me remember as a kid I quit fishing catfish and peeing in the water after discovering candiru, sometimes known as the “penis fish,” a small Amazonian catfish. It's reported to lodge itself in the urethra of people who may be urinating in the water.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 04:35:32 PM »

Your deep thought has made me remember as a kid I quit fishing catfish and peeing in the water after discovering candiru, sometimes known as the “penis fish,” a small Amazonian catfish. It's reported to lodge itself in the urethra of people who may be urinating in the water.
Katpappy no!
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 10:05:22 PM »

Katpappy no!

Hey Big Train, WTF?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 10:16:21 PM »
What it MIGHT be like when we die, is what it's like when you are under anesthesia.  During that time you are under, did you have any memories or perceive the passage of time?  I have been placed under anesthesia and have no memories and I did not experience the passage of time. 

That's what non-existence "feels" like.  Of course non-existence cannot be experienced, but you get the point.

If THAT is what happens when you die, then death is not a misfortune for the person who dies (cannot perceive anything). It is a misfortune for their loved ones though. 

I'm very much hoping for heaven, but it's nice to know that non-existence is there as a fallback plan.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 10:36:24 PM »
My preference and belief is non-existence and I find that pretty comforting. I also think it's pretty cool that my body will be broken down and returned to the universe.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2023, 10:43:24 PM »
Pete I used to really struggle with the idea that my consciousness could ever cease to exist, like surely there must be an afterlife where my spirit goes…but then I remember that like, literally any night where I get a really good sleep and I don’t have any recollection of dreaming…I mean, that right there is like 8 hours where I have no account for anything that happened over that time. So if I can experience that in little 6-8 hour episodes then that makes me think it most definitely is possible that when we die our consciousness just legit is done

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2023, 10:53:11 PM »
My preference and belief is non-existence and I find that pretty comforting. I also think it's pretty cool that my body will be broken down and returned to the universe.

I'm with you brother  :thumbs:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2023, 11:13:43 PM »

As God's religion tells us, "from dust we came and to dust we shall return".

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2023, 11:31:56 PM »
The concept of forever. Like, true forever, has always scared me. I guess I look to the futurama episode when they keep going so far into the future they "come back around" but it scares me.

I'm terrified of the void, the "end," the degradation of the universe and it's ultimate demise. I know I won't be around for it but I have that knee jerk, wide awake panic attack when thinking about the permanence of that. And even trying to assuage that with the thought of everlasting bliss in heaven seems, once again, scary cause how can you ever comprehend forever. What if it's actually not great, not actually good? I like that the Good Place explored that concept. IDK, just so hard to comprehend. I chalk it up to ultimately our mortal lives can only comprehend something with a beginning and an end, so not having that ultimately throws us off.

It really the last few months also pushed me out of a darker place, truly treat my time as more precious. I guess I see our lives like that futurama episode, we always come back around again, but it's so long in the time space everything is forgotten and it's new (to us) but the "forever" of time has washed away all concept of memory and we relive it again.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2023, 12:45:40 AM »
The concept of forever. Like, true forever, has always scared me. I guess I look to the futurama episode when they keep going so far into the future they "come back around" but it scares me.

I'm terrified of the void, the "end," the degradation of the universe and it's ultimate demise. I know I won't be around for it but I have that knee jerk, wide awake panic attack when thinking about the permanence of that. And even trying to assuage that with the thought of everlasting bliss in heaven seems, once again, scary cause how can you ever comprehend forever. What if it's actually not great, not actually good? I like that the Good Place explored that concept. IDK, just so hard to comprehend. I chalk it up to ultimately our mortal lives can only comprehend something with a beginning and an end, so not having that ultimately throws us off.

It really the last few months also pushed me out of a darker place, truly treat my time as more precious. I guess I see our lives like that futurama episode, we always come back around again, but it's so long in the time space everything is forgotten and it's new (to us) but the "forever" of time has washed away all concept of memory and we relive it again.

When the inevitable heat death of the Universe occurs, time will cease to exist. Fear not, my friend. ~10^92 years is a long ways away.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA&feature=shares

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2023, 08:13:38 AM »
Not sure this really qualifies as a deep thought per se, but the “all characters are fictional” disclaimer you see at the beginning of films/tv shows is a direct result of the plot to kill Rasputin and I think about that fact all the time

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2023, 05:54:55 PM »
I’ve read sci-fi books of the concept of shared experience amongst a population (we all feel and share the pain or joy) that makes existence more pleasant. There are some that take it a step farther and have everyone assimilate into a single entity like the borg on Star Trek. One idea that seems cool to me is like the borg, but the shared knowledge is the entirety of the universe.  The higher power is this collective of everything that ever was and will be. It knows me like my grandfathers knew me, and every blade of grass I have ever walked on. Every star that was ever born or died. When my life ceases, my energy joins with that.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2023, 06:08:08 PM »
What if Jesus was just really terribly misquoted?  What if it is “whoever believes in THESE VALUES THAT I AM TEACHING shall not perish.” You think “God” needs to be “believed in” in a very specific fashion? Wouldn’t the omnipotent, omniscient one true god be secure enough to not need you to believe in it, and instead merely want you to believe in the principles of love and good orderly direction and want you to continue to strive to put those to work in your life?

Whoever practices these principles in this life will experience it to the fullest, and by doing so they will help enable others to do the same.  That is loving “God,” which is the sum of all things.

I am willing to gamble with my soul that this is more important than believing in a virgin birth and resurrection of a corpse.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2023, 06:53:27 PM »
What if Jesus was just really terribly misquoted?  What if it is “whoever believes in THESE VALUES THAT I AM TEACHING shall not perish.” You think “God” needs to be “believed in” in a very specific fashion? Wouldn’t the omnipotent, omniscient one true god be secure enough to not need you to believe in it, and instead merely want you to believe in the principles of love and good orderly direction and want you to continue to strive to put those to work in your life?

Whoever practices these principles in this life will experience it to the fullest, and by doing so they will help enable others to do the same.  That is loving “God,” which is the sum of all things.

I am willing to gamble with my soul that this is more important than believing in a virgin birth and resurrection of a corpse.
What would be the point of believing in Jesus at all if you were going to believe he was misquoted that badly?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2023, 07:26:31 PM »
Makes one wonder, doesn’t it.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2023, 07:59:09 PM »

Non-dualism.

Christ’s teachings, Taoism, Plato and Proto Christians, Krishna and to an extent, the Stoics.  Krishna and the Indian Brahms as well I believe, but not really sure.

Kundalini Yoga and the Sacred Secretion take it a step further.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 08:17:39 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2023, 08:19:49 PM »
Makes one wonder, doesn’t it.
I mean, yeah. You’d basically be inventing a new religion. The Jesus in the Bible was incredibly clear about the supremacy of God.