Author Topic: Coach Prime  (Read 23719 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Coach Prime
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2023, 07:50:43 AM »
This thread was always going to teeter on the verge of a PIT thread, unfortunately, so I will do my best to try and keep it out of the pit.

I wonder, is the problem that he THOUGHT it, or the problem that he SAID it?   I have no problem with either thing he said. 

He never commented on the race of the player, yet all of the comments under the tweet seems to imply that he did.   :frown:

Unfortunately we live in the world of the Pit.

He didn't explicitly mention race, but how often have you heard someone discussing a white player mention the number of parents at home? It's like calling the player "well spoken".

Also even if the D-lineman with a single mom is white, there's something gross about explicitly wanting someone desperate for a certain position. And the laughing feels cringey
I get it. He’s obviously exaggerating though.  No one on earth who understands football thinks that Prime is going to turn down a single mother 5 star QB or a honor student DT.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2023, 07:53:28 AM »
Nor is he really thinking of those factors within the top handful of features when watching recruiting film or attending HS games and camps.

Zero chance he watches a beautiful spiral and says “HOW MANY PARENTS?!?”   Zero chance he watches two blocks get eaten up and pushed 5 yards deep and says “IS HE POOR?”

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2023, 08:36:21 AM »
Nor is he really thinking of those factors within the top handful of features when watching recruiting film or attending HS games and camps.

Zero chance he watches a beautiful spiral and says “HOW MANY PARENTS?!?”   Zero chance he watches two blocks get eaten up and pushed 5 yards deep and says “IS HE POOR?”

Then why say it?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2023, 08:39:20 AM »

Then why say it?
Who can say? I can’t.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2023, 08:52:20 AM »
all of this will always be about deion, nothing more and nothing less.  the man has always had a giant ego and always will.  he says these things to get the attention.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2023, 09:37:12 AM »
For selfish reasons I hope good players in Colorado don't like what they hear and come to K-State instead.

K-State already got a commit from a pretty highly rated QB out of Colorado.  As an aside, this getting commits out of highly rated to very highly rated QB's every recruiting class is just some kind of voodoo magic.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2023, 09:44:33 AM »
This thread was always going to teeter on the verge of a PIT thread, unfortunately, so I will do my best to try and keep it out of the pit.

I wonder, is the problem that he THOUGHT it, or the problem that he SAID it?   I have no problem with either thing he said. 

He never commented on the race of the player, yet all of the comments under the tweet seems to imply that he did.   :frown:

Pete, a dog whistle is a dog whistle, regardless of the race of the person blowing it.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2023, 09:51:37 AM »
all of this will always be about deion, nothing more and nothing less.  the man has always had a giant ego and always will.  he says these things to get the attention.

Bingo
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2023, 09:53:09 AM »

Unfortunately we live in the world of the Pit.

He didn't explicitly mention race, but how often have you heard someone discussing a white player mention the number of parents at home? It's like calling the player "well spoken".

Also even if the D-lineman with a single mom is white, there's something gross about explicitly wanting someone desperate for a certain position. And the laughing feels cringey
I get it. He’s obviously exaggerating though.  No one on earth who understands football thinks that Prime is going to turn down a single mother 5 star QB or a honor student DT.

Don't know if you did it on purpose or not, but you just made the perfect argument as to why it was really stupid for him to say that. He's feeding silly stereotypes, without even getting into the obvious dog whistles. I would sincerely hope that he doesn't actually think that poor kids can't be smart enough to be quarterback and smart kids can't be tough enough to be a d-lineman.

I'm not sure why you're willing to give him credit for not acting on the way he thinks. He's literally don't nothing to prove that he doesn't act on those thoughts. It's not like it would be wild for a football coach to think like that. We read and see stories every single year, around draft time, about NFL scouts and front office personnel who have that mentality. We've seen and heard a lot of problematic things and thought processes from Deion, you can give him the unearned benefit of the doubt if you want to, I won't.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2023, 09:54:44 AM »

Bingo

At what point does him saying things and behaving in ways in which a piece of crap would before it stops being about him doing things for his brand and it's just him being a piece of crap?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2023, 10:01:27 AM »

Bingo

At what point does him saying things and behaving in ways in which a piece of crap would before it stops being about him doing things for his brand and it's just him being a piece of crap?

I don’t have any problem saying he’s a piece of crap, I think that’s a fair statement. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2023, 10:16:56 AM »
he's 100% a piece of crap, i don't think that's up for debate. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2023, 10:30:45 AM »
I agree with you guys. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2023, 10:31:55 AM »
It's too bad he didn't simply say "We need smart guys for QB, but we don't really care how smart our DT's are."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2023, 10:57:33 AM »
I don't even think you need smart QBs, in the book smart sense anyway. "They" say the smartest guys on the field are the offense linemen.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Coach Prime
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2023, 12:37:50 PM »
I don't even think you need smart QBs, in the book smart sense anyway. "They" say the smartest guys on the field are the offense linemen.
Totally agree.  Many, many different types of intelligence. Most people incorrectly assume that verbal communication skills indicate intelligence in all areas of life.  Lots of people can put together very sophisticated plans and execute complex tasks fast without being able to easily string two sentences together in a conversation.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2023, 01:10:03 PM »
Totally agree.  Many, many different types of intelligence. Most people incorrectly assume that verbal communication skills indicate intelligence in all areas of life.  Lots of people can put together very sophisticated plans and execute complex tasks fast without being able to easily string two sentences together in a conversation.

qbs don't even have to make any plans, just listen to coaches. not really any problem solving is needed, i'd guess they just need to be good at memorizing, learning how to read and react, and not freak out under pressure. definitely not easy, but seems way more about effort and experience than intelligence.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2023, 01:40:11 PM »
Yeah I think being a good QB requires a lot of things happening very quickly between the ears.  But I don't think that type of intelligence necessarily translates to being a great student or anything. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2023, 01:44:48 PM »
if a qb is even thinking while a play is going on their ass is getting blasted

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2023, 04:08:44 PM »
Prime Time's comments sounds like something Bear Bryant would have said to John McKay in private over cocktails after a round of golf in 1971.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2023, 05:31:48 PM »

qbs don't even have to make any plans, just listen to coaches. not really any problem solving is needed, i'd guess they just need to be good at memorizing, learning how to read and react, and not freak out under pressure. definitely not easy, but seems way more about effort and experience than intelligence.

I mean those terms in a way that is not quite so literal. I am saying that they need the cognitive power to understand a great many things very quickly. Lots of if-then statements. 

I do believe that requires rapid planning (down and distance alternatives, audibles, etc.) and improvisation skills. Those are all types of thinking and types of intelligence.

Though, obviously you can compensate if you have very high abilities in other areas (e.g. arm strength, speed, agility, etc.).

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2023, 09:59:44 PM »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2023, 06:10:13 AM »
I didn't want to say this, but after listening to and seeing him on tweeter I got the opinion that JC is a nerd with a punchable face.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2023, 01:32:02 PM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile