Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 8091 times)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
World Cup 2022
« on: November 18, 2022, 12:33:07 PM »
It maybe in a slavers paradise but hey no beer now too!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2022/nov/18/world-cup-2022-countdown-to-kick-off-continues-as-qatar-plans-beer-u-turn-live

I am excited though, hard not to be, even if Qatar should never have gotten it

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 01:20:52 PM »
This is going to be a beautiful disaster, FIFA deserves it too

I'm planning on taking in the Black Friday match in at the P&L

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 01:37:33 PM »
This is going to be a beautiful disaster, FIFA deserves it too

I'm planning on taking in the Black Friday match in at the P&L

Get tickets. They are free but yo have to have them. Doesn't even guarantee entry. I assume it's to help count heads for fire marshal.

See you there!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 08:52:13 PM »
Banning beer this late is hilariously wild

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 09:03:07 PM »

Makes you think this was the plan all along. Wait until it's too late to turn back.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 09:04:27 PM »
You guys may have just cracked this thing wide open

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 09:35:04 PM »
Like a crispy stevewieser
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 10:00:22 PM »
if i'm gonna sleep in a shipping container my ass better be blackout drunk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 10:01:56 PM »
Lack of booze is absolutely the worst part about visiting Islamic monarchies. Unless you're like a famous dissident journalist or something like that.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 06:19:34 AM »

Makes you think this was the plan all along. Wait until it's too late to turn back.
Oh 100%. I'm sure they budgeted it all in

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2022, 11:38:24 AM »
Dang, bro.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
World Cup 2022
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2022, 01:14:32 PM »
If someone has not already done it … if you want to go viral here is the formula

“Today I feel gay”

Then smash cut to
“Why are you gay?”

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2022, 10:22:15 AM »
Come on Ecuador

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2022, 10:35:59 AM »
Yes, keep it going

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2022, 10:37:01 AM »
I’m pulling for Ecuador to win 8-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2022, 12:08:56 PM »
It blows my mind that you can have three hours of broadcast and talk a ton about Qatar and not remind people that it's illegal to be gay there like constantly

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2022, 12:26:30 PM »
It blows my mind that you can have three hours of broadcast and talk a ton about Qatar and not remind people that it's illegal to be gay there like constantly
Fox doesn’t want to appear to be “woke” and anger all the people who don’t watch the World Cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2022, 12:48:14 PM »

For the studio guys, yes, for the guys calling the game no. If the announcers of a K-State or KU game started taking about the abortion ballot initiative as a means to show Kansas trending progressive on a women's rights issue, it would be weird a.f. and rightfully panned.

Those players and coaches have nothing to do with what's happening in that country, call the game let others frame what is happening outside the stadium. What Strong and Holden did fail at was explaining why Qatar has so many players who don't have Qatari lineage or aren't from there. These same two guys explained this during the Gold Cup, more than once. It's pretty clear Fox told them not to discuss that either.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2022, 02:10:34 PM »

For the studio guys, yes, for the guys calling the game no. If the announcers of a K-State or KU game started taking about the abortion ballot initiative as a means to show Kansas trending progressive on a women's rights issue, it would be weird a.f. and rightfully panned.

Those players and coaches have nothing to do with what's happening in that country, call the game let others frame what is happening outside the stadium. What Strong and Holden did fail at was explaining why Qatar has so many players who don't have Qatari lineage or aren't from there. These same two guys explained this during the Gold Cup, more than once. It's pretty clear Fox told them not to discuss that either.

The PBP guys commented a lot on the atmosphere among fans on the street and I don't know how you can do this without acknowledging how rough ridin' weird and evil the place is. In Kansas, that wasn't really an elephant in the room at tailgate parties like the late beer decision or disgusting moral laws are in Qatar. If the pbp guys didn't have the little anecdotes about fan interaction, I'd probably agree with you.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2022, 02:29:00 PM »

The PBP guys commented a lot on the atmosphere among fans on the street and I don't know how you can do this without acknowledging how rough ridin' weird and evil the place is. In Kansas, that wasn't really an elephant in the room at tailgate parties like the late beer decision or disgusting moral laws are in Qatar. If the pbp guys didn't have the little anecdotes about fan interaction, I'd probably agree with you.

That's just it rusty, I don't think those issues are a big deal there, at all, they are everywhere else though. The human rights issues aren't roundly viewed that way there, I'd see your point on that if fans, players, and media had to make their way through protests in the streets to get to the games. The people of Qatar seem to be comfortably living their lives, including being good with the thousands of deaths the last decade, preparing for the world cup.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2022, 04:12:23 PM »

That's just it rusty, I don't think those issues are a big deal there, at all, they are everywhere else though. The human rights issues aren't roundly viewed that way there, I'd see your point on that if fans, players, and media had to make their way through protests in the streets to get to the games. The people of Qatar seem to be comfortably living their lives, including being good with the thousands of deaths the last decade, preparing for the world cup.

Yeah except it's the World Cup and I think the issues are a huge deal for most people that came in from places in the world other than Qatar (and Iran maybe).

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2022, 05:07:45 PM »
Homosexuality is illegal in more than just Qatar. I think it is certainly different because they are hosting and the process that went in to it, but I don’t think grilling the players about their country’s politics is a good look. Most players politics suck crap! So just play, the coaches and the players mostly don’t have anything interesting to say about it even in the best of times.

As for Johnny Baby (Gianni Infantino) he can get both hands even though he isn’t the guy to blame for making the initial decision to go to Qatar.

As far as the announcers, of course they aren’t going to be talking about it! They are literally paid to make the whole thing a commercial! Even most of the journalists covering it will only be able to make a few events a circus before it is either tamped down or worse.

Of course the whole thing is a farce but expecting the system to have enough internal complexity to critique itself is to forget the fundamental problem that leads to the others.