Author Topic: Greg's Chant of the week thread  (Read 11770 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Greg's Chant of the week thread
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2022, 10:55:48 PM »
Fine. See where it gets you.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2022, 11:24:16 PM »
The olds defending the students give of serious “greetings fellow obscenity chanters” Steve Buscemi meme vibes. 

I’m very much with MIR.  It’s okay to acknowledge that chanting eff at BSFS during the wabash is objectively crass behavior.  And the admin (predictably) doing what they can to stop it isn’t unreasonable.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2022, 11:55:22 PM »
Fine. See where it gets you.

Literally nowhere, doesn't make it less dipshitty

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2022, 05:59:50 AM »
It’s telling that they haven’t rolled Bill’s bones out on the jumbo tron before game to tell the kids to knock that crap off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2022, 07:06:30 AM »
The olds defending the students give of serious “greetings fellow obscenity chanters” Steve Buscemi meme vibes. 

I’m very much with MIR.  It’s okay to acknowledge that chanting eff at BSFS during the wabash is objectively crass behavior.  And the admin (predictably) doing what they can to stop it isn’t unreasonable.
I’m certain that you understand that the “administration acknowledging” and the band leader publicly threatening to take away the wabash cannonball are two very different ends of the spectrum of response.

And while the administration’s attempts to “do what they can to stop it” are futile, I suppose it is important to some people for them to give the impression that they are not helpless (they are). I simply disagree that a merely symbolic gesture does any good, and firmly believe that it creates more of the same behavior they are attempting to eliminate.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2022, 07:09:32 AM »
The administration (and their like minded fellows) are like me posting in this thread. It’s an absolute waste of time with zero possible chance of changing anyone’s mind and only serves to feed the ego and rationalize thinking my position is one of superiority.

Same thing.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2022, 08:26:59 AM »
The administration (and their like minded fellows) are like me posting in this thread. It’s an absolute waste of time with zero possible chance of changing anyone’s mind and only serves to feed the ego and rationalize thinking my position is one of superiority.

Same thing.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2022, 08:41:15 AM »
The admin are making this much worse, which is how this whole thing started anyways.

Sandstorm used to be "K-S-U" unless we were playing KU, when the chant would break out. Then the dweeb that is JC tried to enforce a behavior policy/code of conduct which was promptly laughed at. Then he banned sandstorm which made it "a thing" to a bunch of teenagers. When that didn't work, admin tried to police the bball games and things have just slowly escalated from there. Now it's happening in the football stadium.

I think it's ridiculous to chant anything against KU when we're not playing them. I don't care about it when we are. However, to threaten to not play our "historic" fight song because some students are just being dumb about all of this won't solve this either. It's going to continue to make it worse as the students will continue to take it as a challenge to try and throw it in whenever they can.

I've now decided that the take of "the students wouldn't do it if the adults didn't say anything" is 400x worse that the actual change. In fact if the chant was eff ku, the motherfucking dick sucking cunts, that would still be better than this old tired take.

The chant started, on Saturday, 40 minutes before the game started while the stadium was half full, at best. None of the rough ridin' students were thinking about old people on the west side when they started chanting that. They chanted it because they're dumb rough ridin' kids. It's the same reason many of the same dumb eff students take their shoes off at kickoff, mimicking the dumb eff students at losery Nebraska of all rough ridin' places to mimick.

It's really okay to call stupid behavior, stupid. Those fuckheads aren't your angsty teenage kid that you're oh so desperate to bond with. They don't give a eff about you, just like we didn't give a eff about boomers when we were 20 years old.

Damn dude, are you okay? Who hurt you?

1. I never once condoned the behavior. In fact, I said the exact opposite.
2. I never said the students wouldn't have done this if the adults had ignored it. I also never said that it should have been ignored. I said that our admin has made it worse. I still stand by this statement and no one has really been able to make a case otherwise.
3. I'm not desperate to bond with any of them. Hell, I went out with a few of my tenants in the middle of August to Aggieville and even after two stiff drinks I still couldn't stand their immaturity.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2022, 08:53:44 AM »

The administration isn't doing anything that will have any effect at all. If they actually want to stop the chant, they should crack down on alcohol at tailgates.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2022, 08:55:58 AM »

The administration isn't doing anything that will have any effect at all. If they actually want to stop the chant, they should crack down on alcohol at tailgates.
Now that you mention it, I wonder what proportion of the chanters had consumed more than 2 drinks before they started chanting?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2022, 09:40:32 AM »
Use facial recognition from the video and expel the chanters
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2022, 09:42:04 AM »
Offer bounties to students who turn other students in

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2022, 09:42:55 AM »
Ban all chanting. And yelling. Applause only.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2022, 09:49:52 AM »
It’s telling that they haven’t rolled Bill’s bones out on the jumbo tron before game to tell the kids to knock that crap off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tang has already asked them to stop but people aren't saying boo about that.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2022, 09:57:59 AM »

https://imgflip.com/i/6so4gr]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2022, 09:59:54 AM »
What if we compromised with a "To Heck with KU"

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »
I always thought they were saying "Pluck KU"

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2022, 10:33:42 AM »

Now that you mention it, I wonder what proportion of the chanters had consumed more than 2 drinks before they started chanting?

I would set the over/under at 90%

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2022, 10:42:58 AM »
This all has increased my interest in this game.  T-Y, Greg.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2022, 11:13:53 AM »
This thing is dumb- but the frat boy edgy “band kids are nerds so eff” them takes from dudes in their 40s has a big uncle Rico vibe. You guys know you’re middle aged, right?
Clams is a true freshman about to bag a dozen pelts.

he's got a sick mini fridge with 4 trulys in it, i saw them myself

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2022, 11:35:40 AM »

I’m certain that you understand that the “administration acknowledging” and the band leader publicly threatening to take away the wabash cannonball are two very different ends of the spectrum of response.

And while the administration’s attempts to “do what they can to stop it” are futile, I suppose it is important to some people for them to give the impression that they are not helpless (they are). I simply disagree that a merely symbolic gesture does any good, and firmly believe that it creates more of the same behavior they are attempting to eliminate.
So which is it?  Is the administration helpless or tyrannical? If they stop playing wabash, they're tyrants.  If they ask nicely, they're helpless.   What are they supposed to do? 

And not for nothing, this isn't a uniquely K-State thing.  As much as the criticizers wish that they could point to this as an example of "k-state overreacting to protect their delicate sensibilities," this same episode happened at LSU with Neck (which doesn't get played anymore because the crowd ruined it).  I imagine most universities/ADs would view this as a problem and consider stop playing the song as a last resort, just as K-State is doing.  "Doing nothing" which, as far as I can tell, they've been doing for the last several years, obviously hasn't worked.

I don't think it's a given that the students will chant eff ku no matter what, given that this is a relatively new phenomenon.  And if they do get the Wabash canceled and Wildcat Victory canceled and the Alma Mater canceled, well I think that would be pretty sad for a few reasons.

Bottom line is this, imo: the students chanting eff KU to the Wabash is a problem.  The immediate solution is "ok that song doesn't get played anymore."  It's pretty clear that if students don't like that solution, then they should solve the problem by reserving the chant to the appropriate times.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2022, 12:44:39 PM »
Also, does anyone else think it’s weird that the the band leader insists on being called a doctor?

You mean like every college professor i had that wasn’t a Grad assistant?

Not all college professors insist on being called doctor, and if they do, they generally don't insist on it outside of the academic setting.

Insisting on being called doctor outside of your professional setting is weird and insecure.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2022, 12:49:55 PM »

So which is it?  Is the administration helpless or tyrannical? If they stop playing wabash, they're tyrants.  If they ask nicely, they're helpless.   What are they supposed to do? 

And not for nothing, this isn't a uniquely K-State thing.  As much as the criticizers wish that they could point to this as an example of "k-state overreacting to protect their delicate sensibilities," this same episode happened at LSU with Neck (which doesn't get played anymore because the crowd ruined it).  I imagine most universities/ADs would view this as a problem and consider stop playing the song as a last resort, just as K-State is doing.  "Doing nothing" which, as far as I can tell, they've been doing for the last several years, obviously hasn't worked.

I don't think it's a given that the students will chant eff ku no matter what, given that this is a relatively new phenomenon.  And if they do get the Wabash canceled and Wildcat Victory canceled and the Alma Mater canceled, well I think that would be pretty sad for a few reasons.

Bottom line is this, imo: the students chanting eff KU to the Wabash is a problem.  The immediate solution is "ok that song doesn't get played anymore."  It's pretty clear that if students don't like that solution, then they should solve the problem by reserving the chant to the appropriate times.
Free country, bro

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2022, 01:07:26 PM »

Free country, bro
No doubt.  Everyone do what you want.  Students can chant.  Band can not play song. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2022, 01:15:29 PM »

Free country, bro
No doubt.  Everyone do what you want.  Students can chant.  Band can not play song.
Agreed