Author Topic: What streaming services do you have and how much do you like them?  (Read 3477 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: What streaming services do you have and how much do you like them?
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2022, 01:39:13 PM »
Always have:
Youtube TV- Necessary for our household but I think overpriced at $65
Netflix- some good shows/good for kids
Prime- Meh
Hulu- never watch it, but seems like it comes free with pretty much anything these days
Disney- Kids.

Cancelled/sporadic subscriptions:
Espn+ only for college football/basketball
HBO Max- Will subscribe for a month and watch Succession when the next season comes out
Paramount- Never watched it, but only $5
AppleTV- Ted Lasso only

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2022, 09:27:59 PM »
Netflix
Amazon prime
Hulu
Disney+
Prolly a few others I don't know about and never use. 

Also have YouTube Tv
forgot Appleton and ESPN+

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2023, 08:49:26 PM »
Do Firesticks get old/wear out?  I currently have a 3rd one that just got laggy as hell, I get the spinny loop on Youtube tv, hulu etc.  And, the remote is super slow like I press a button go make a sandwich and then come back in room and it finally makes the click sound and the cursor moves.  my first 2 are just straight up done.  Will not function at all.

I have 2 new ones and they work groovy.  It isn't my wifi because I can watch literally anything I want on my lapop.

These things are pissing me off

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2023, 10:47:58 PM »
Do Firesticks get old/wear out?  I currently have a 3rd one that just got laggy as hell, I get the spinny loop on Youtube tv, hulu etc.  And, the remote is super slow like I press a button go make a sandwich and then come back in room and it finally makes the click sound and the cursor moves.  my first 2 are just straight up done.  Will not function at all.

I have 2 new ones and they work groovy.  It isn't my wifi because I can watch literally anything I want on my lapop.

Why not use Roku? I have one Roku streaming stick older than you and it still works perfectly.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2023, 04:52:47 AM »

Why not use Roku? I have one Roku streaming stick older than you and it still works perfectly.

Roku pisses me off, it's absolutely brutal for AppleTV and Netflix and has been for some time. All three of our TVs are Roku TVs and I have a bit of buyers regret. Also since we've purchased these TVs we've switched to DirecTV Stream and the Roku remote is a nightmare for this.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2023, 06:44:13 AM »
It can sometimes help to unplug/replug them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2023, 07:44:38 AM »

Roku pisses me off, it's absolutely brutal for AppleTV and Netflix and has been for some time. All three of our TVs are Roku TVs and I have a bit of buyers regret. Also since we've purchased these TVs we've switched to DirecTV Stream and the Roku remote is a nightmare for this.

I have a roku TCL tv in my office, roku sticks in all other tvs and in my yukon, samsung tv with all the apps on it in living room. so basically we use roku for everything but I'm not really passionate about it one way or the other because the built in apps with the samsung work just as well. all seem to work fine though. I don't have apple+ (I have it free, just never activated it). we use netflix on the rokus and samsung echosystem and it seems to work. mlbtv used to not work well on samsung but they've fixed that over the off season. espn/hulu/disney work equally well on each. youtubetv works well on both. I don't know, we don't have issues mostly.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2023, 07:56:28 AM »

A few months ago, my old firestick was buffering / freezing all the time. I got a new one and it fixed the issue. I power it with the USB plug on the back of the TV so the firestick is off and cools down when I'm not using the TV.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2023, 08:15:54 AM »
Between Roku and chromecast,

Chromecast blows roku out of the water.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2023, 08:39:42 AM »
I have no complaints with Roku interface but I haven’t used anything else for a few years.  Chromecast has apps similar to Roku?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2023, 08:47:34 AM »
I have no complaints with Roku interface but I haven’t used anything else for a few years.  Chromecast has apps similar to Roku?

Yeah, basically the same thing, my chromecast is just faster/smoother/nicer looking screen/interface

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2023, 08:58:01 AM »
Sup nerds, If I have to get a stick it's amazon. They by far have the best remote and it all works with every app flawlessly as it should. I compare it to a DVD remote because it has pause play/ff/rewind all on the same interface. Can also control volume. I have had mine for two years now no trouble. Just gotta keep it updated.

I use the Samsung Smart tv and PS5 with the media remote in my living room. I only have a firestick on my old vizio tv in my bedroom.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2023, 08:58:58 AM »

the original Roku boxes and X2 boxes I have still work but the apps like ESPN, Netflix and what have slowly went obsolete.  I wonder if there is a way to update the firmware and/or clear the ROM that would help.

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2023, 09:01:10 AM »
Apple TV is the best streaming device and it's not even close.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2023, 09:14:27 AM »
I also think they are the best on the market. I think for the bang for your buck sticks its the Amazon 4k
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2023, 10:15:24 AM »
It is infuriating to me that LG TVs don't have the ESPN app available.  I refuse to purchase something to plug into my "smart tv" in order to watch programming.  If I had known this was the issue, I probably wouldn't have went with LG. 
@mikec2w

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2023, 11:56:34 AM »
LG also doesn't have DirecTV Stream app. 

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2023, 12:15:22 PM »

I have a roku TCL tv in my office, roku sticks in all other tvs and in my yukon, samsung tv with all the apps on it in living room. so basically we use roku for everything but I'm not really passionate about it one way or the other because the built in apps with the samsung work just as well. all seem to work fine though. I don't have apple+ (I have it free, just never activated it). we use netflix on the rokus and samsung echosystem and it seems to work. mlbtv used to not work well on samsung but they've fixed that over the off season. espn/hulu/disney work equally well on each. youtubetv works well on both. I don't know, we don't have issues mostly.
How is the built in wifi.  Ive thought about enabling ours, but my phone is also a hotspot.  So never sure if there is an actual improvement or not in quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2023, 12:28:05 PM »

Why do you think they only have 12% market share?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2023, 12:38:28 PM »

Why do you think they only have 12% market share?

The cost is 4 to 5 times more.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2023, 12:47:41 PM »
Gotta be able to strip out some costs at that multiple and still be superior to Roku OTT hardware. Maybe they are fine with current market share though.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2023, 02:48:56 PM »
Rokus are great for users that are eager to sell all their personal data (for the privilege of using shitty second class streaming stick technology cheaply) to giant Chinese data mining operations.

Same folks that have no qualms with clicking on and sharing AMP links on message boards I guess.   :dunno:

I am definitely team IC on this one.  AppleTV is the only streaming device I would feel comfortable using.

(I have heard that people really love the Nvidia Shield too...but it uses the same android backend that fire stick/chromecast devices uses which...kinda sketchy IMO)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2023, 02:57:13 PM »
I'm basically a data slut spreading my legs for anyone who makes a decent product
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2023, 03:04:11 PM »
Also real talk the subscription services I have are all here. But My siblings and parents all split the cost or switch off somehow. (Someone pays for one of the subs or something else)
* is something we share thru multiple households
Spotify Family* Spotify is the premium music service and won't be told otherwise.
YouTube TV (Unlimited Screens and 4k soon to be Sunday Ticket)*
Disney Wombo Combo thru Verizon (Hulu with Ads, Disney+ and ESPN+)*
YouTube Premium (YouTube without ads is life changing and its how I watch alot of my podcasts and other things)
HBO Max*
Netflix*
Apple TV+
Have had Amazon Prime on and off but currently am off the Prime Train.

Also off topic but I have a Playstation Premium subscription as well which allows me to download any playstation game ever made on the ps5 and just play it whenever I want.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2023, 03:05:11 PM »
Rokus are great for users that are eager to sell all their personal data (for the privilege of using shitty second class streaming stick technology cheaply) to giant Chinese data mining operations.

Same folks that have no qualms with clicking on and sharing AMP links on message boards I guess.   :dunno:

I am definitely team IC on this one.  AppleTV is the only streaming device I would feel comfortable using.

(I have heard that people really love the Nvidia Shield too...but it uses the same android backend that fire stick/chromecast devices uses which...kinda sketchy IMO)

Passranch I have to ask, do you have a flip phone or straight talk. They already have all your info  :horrorsurprise: