Author Topic: Seasons  (Read 7521 times)

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Re: Seasons
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2022, 12:58:24 PM »
It’s supposed to be in the upper 80’s here for the forseeable future :dunno:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2022, 01:08:52 PM »
you are a monster for running your AC

The monstrous part is the AM fireplace
Yes, all sorts of wtf

"Hey hun! Fire up the fireplace! Gotta warm up the house otherwise there's no logical reason to run the AC!"

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2022, 11:01:03 PM »
My house is great during the day but gets hot af at night and I have to run the ac a little to get it cooled back down  :frown:

have you considered having windows installed?  might pay off if you're going to live there for a few years.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2022, 01:31:04 AM »
My house is great during the day but gets hot af at night and I have to run the ac a little to get it cooled back down  :frown:

have you considered having windows installed?  might pay off if you're going to live there for a few years.

I'm more interested in hearing about how the Young Giant 'clams navigates around la casa (that's Spanish for house).

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2022, 07:11:45 AM »
Threw a few more logs on the fire this AM
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2022, 07:28:27 AM »

The windows are open in the above scenario
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2022, 07:33:18 AM »
Had to break out a second blanket for bed last night.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2022, 07:45:20 AM »

The windows are open in the above scenario
I am perplexed at your nighttime hot house

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2022, 08:19:34 AM »
Same bros

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2022, 08:21:00 AM »
Like rn it's cold and great but around 8-9 pm it will be uncomfortably hot

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2022, 08:22:22 AM »
2 story?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2022, 08:23:38 AM »

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2022, 08:24:07 AM »
Lots of pm sun?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2022, 10:21:44 AM »
Like rn it's cold and great but around 8-9 pm it will be uncomfortably hot

is it actually hot or does it just feel hot? Ours can get stuffy in Spring/Fall, but it's actually a comfortable temp when i look at the thermo. Being around a fan does the trick.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2022, 10:37:39 AM »
Actually hot, it was 73 when I got home from work, which is warmer than I usually enjoy but comfortable, but up to 78 at 9pm when turned the ac on for an hour. Like you would expect this to happen around 3-5 pm, not 8-10. Maybe my place just has amazingly superior insulation? Or maybe amazingly shitty insulation? The south side does take the sun all day so I think it's just radiating that heat even after the outside temp goes down.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2022, 10:41:52 AM »
if you have windows open on all 4 sides of your house i am convinced that what you are describing is impossible whenever it's sub-82 degrees outside

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2022, 10:42:38 AM »
Actually hot, it was 73 when I got home from work, which is warmer than I usually enjoy but comfortable, but up to 78 at 9pm when turned the ac on for an hour. Like you would expect this to happen around 3-5 pm, not 8-10. Maybe my place just has amazingly superior insulation? Or maybe amazingly shitty insulation? The south side does take the sun all day so I think it's just radiating that heat even after the outside temp goes down.

I think the heat that builds up in the attic during the day contributes to this.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2022, 10:43:13 AM »

I think the heat that builds up in the attic during the day contributes to this.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2022, 10:45:42 AM »
if you have windows open on all 4 sides of your house i am convinced that what you are describing is impossible whenever it's sub-82 degrees outside

3 sides

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2022, 10:53:06 AM »

You have lots of thermal mass that absorbs the energy from sun and then releases it back at night, need to vent that crap out in the evening.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2022, 01:27:59 PM »
Our bedroom is in the attic basically and while its insulated quite well, it is always hotter in there even on cool days with windows open. Have to really crank a couple fans with all the windows open at night to cool it down, even with that I often turn on the mini-split for 20 min to get rid of the heat that gets trapped in the room.

I'm not a monster mocat.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2022, 02:48:08 PM »

You have lots of thermal mass that absorbs the energy from sun and then releases it back at night, need to vent that crap out in the evening.

How do you know if your house is good or bad at doing thermal mass?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2022, 03:05:54 PM »

How do you know if your house is good or bad at doing thermal mass?

Large swings in evening temp would be a good indicator.  If it gets “hotter” in your house as the evening temps get cooler, it’s because your house is now releasing its stored energy.  Green house operations use “heat sinks” such as large barrels of water to achieve a similar outcome to level load the temp during the day and night. The barrels absorb the heat during the day and keep the greenhouse from heating too rapidly and then act as a heat source at night when temps drop back down.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2022, 03:29:58 PM »
this year i installed a solar powered attic vent fan, along with some lower intake vents at the eaves. game changer for the 2nd floor in the summer

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2022, 03:38:31 PM »
Absolute boss move, well done.