Author Topic: Possible WW3 thread  (Read 244446 times)

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible WW3 thread
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2022, 07:53:30 AM »
So US seizes trump tower does the president get to continue living there?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2022, 08:08:34 AM »
Yes, it is absolutely true that the United States would continue to provide arms and assistance to NeoNazi militias fighting the Russians in Ukraine.

wouldn't Russia removing troops and not attacking Ukraine be the easiest way to avoid this "conflict"

like I get the neo-con military industrial complex argument but isn't that all moot if Russia simply doesn't attack Ukraine?

also the argument that NATO expansion is a threat to Russia is a joke. is NATO going to be launching an offensive against Russia?
Historically how has the US reacted when the Russians have armed client states?   Has the US and/or NATO ever militarily engaged in internal conflicts or border conflicts far far away of sovereign nations because one was a Russian client state? 

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2022, 08:59:50 AM »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2022, 09:39:04 AM »
Yes,

don't let them do any business in dollars

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2022, 09:55:31 AM »
Is pretty funny that we can shut that midget down simply by taking his bros property that they all bought because they would rather live anywhere besides Russia a/k/a abortion city

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2022, 10:18:07 AM »
Yeah, nobody has ever sanctioned individual Russians before.    :jerk: :jerk: :jerk:

Russia will just continue to buy more things from China and China will continue to gladly sell it them.

Russia has something China needs and so they'll just exchange oil for goods.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 10:21:48 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2022, 10:45:50 AM »
Yeah, nobody has ever sanctioned individual Russians before.    :jerk: :jerk: :jerk:

Russia will just continue to buy more things from China and China will continue to gladly sell it them.

Russia has something China needs and so they'll just exchange oil for goods.

Putin's rich buddies/controllers don't want to live in china.  They want to live in san francisco and NYC.  nice try

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2022, 11:27:49 AM »
The part about China had to do with trade and trading in dollars.   Nothing to do with oligarchs or where they live.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2022, 11:29:24 AM »
Seizing property in the US solely because an individual is Russian seems like it would be against the law, but I'm not a constitutional scholar.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2022, 11:33:42 AM »
Seizing property in the US solely because an individual is Russian seems like it would be against the law, but I'm not a constitutional scholar.

meh, we will find a way.  We sanction the crap out of fat losers all the time.  Why would this be any different?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2022, 11:34:53 AM »
It beats both breaking the law and killing lots of innocent people.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2022, 11:38:52 AM »

yeah, I would take the risky proposition of taking some drunk's madison ave penthouse over sending an 18 year old kid from hutch to get his legs blown off over a piece of dirt in eastern europe any day.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2022, 11:47:01 AM »

yeah, I would take the risky proposition of taking some drunk's madison ave penthouse over sending an 18 year old kid from hutch to get his legs blown off over a piece of dirt in eastern europe any day.

Well said
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2022, 12:33:34 PM »

Great post.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2022, 01:19:53 PM »
Also given the ways we’ve used civil asset forfeiture in the past against our own citizens, we’d be monsters not to try something similar here.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2022, 02:10:10 PM »

will make for a great Million Dollar Listing NYC episode

Offline PhoCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 31, 2022, 02:45:53 PM »

France has meanwhile seized on the Ukraine crisis to advance its own ambitions for an E.U.-led security framework that could undermine NATO. In an address to the European Parliament, French President Emmanuel Macron urged the E.U. to launch a separate dialogue with Moscow over ways to reduce the tensions, potentially setting up a rival track to the U.S.-led diplomacy that has so far dominated the West’s efforts to tamp down the tensions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/23/europe-divided-ukraine/

https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1485996981378076677?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a variation of France's old "Third Way" approach during the Cold War.  They offered themselves as a "power" other nations could align to without selling their souls to the Soviets or the U.S.  In reality, it was a way to see themselves as a world power, without all the effort and ability (and I must note, in the end, everyone knew they would still tie to NATO - and the U.S. was still keeping them in the pipeline of nuclear info the create better arms so they would add to Western deterrence).  The only leverage Biden has is pipeline sanctions (but the current admin dumped those, which Trump had in place).  The Germans and others are more dependent than ever on the gas that is flowing and will in the future, and they have current issues with power in part due to dumping nuke reactors without having the capacity in place to handle the loss--they have to play along with what the Russians want.

Most Russians rely on the money that the government uses to subsidize their lives via energy revenues.  We have only aided them as we have now returned to limiting our own potential production (nothing like the U.S. going hat in hand to OPEC asking them to increase production after we intentionally cut our own a few months before--the current administration is playing checkers at a chess tournament).  Just a few years back Putin was hurting as those revenues had declined in light of growing U.S. production and falling market prices.  Now, not so much.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 31, 2022, 04:27:52 PM »

will make for a great Million Dollar Listing NYC episode

My head says Ryan but my heart says Fredrik

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 31, 2022, 06:08:30 PM »

France has meanwhile seized on the Ukraine crisis to advance its own ambitions for an E.U.-led security framework that could undermine NATO. In an address to the European Parliament, French President Emmanuel Macron urged the E.U. to launch a separate dialogue with Moscow over ways to reduce the tensions, potentially setting up a rival track to the U.S.-led diplomacy that has so far dominated the West’s efforts to tamp down the tensions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/23/europe-divided-ukraine/

https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1485996981378076677?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a variation of France's old "Third Way" approach during the Cold War.  They offered themselves as a "power" other nations could align to without selling their souls to the Soviets or the U.S.  In reality, it was a way to see themselves as a world power, without all the effort and ability (and I must note, in the end, everyone knew they would still tie to NATO - and the U.S. was still keeping them in the pipeline of nuclear info the create better arms so they would add to Western deterrence).  The only leverage Biden has is pipeline sanctions (but the current admin dumped those, which Trump had in place).  The Germans and others are more dependent than ever on the gas that is flowing and will in the future, and they have current issues with power in part due to dumping nuke reactors without having the capacity in place to handle the loss--they have to play along with what the Russians want.

Most Russians rely on the money that the government uses to subsidize their lives via energy revenues.  We have only aided them as we have now returned to limiting our own potential production (nothing like the U.S. going hat in hand to OPEC asking them to increase production after we intentionally cut our own a few months before--the current administration is playing checkers at a chess tournament).  Just a few years back Putin was hurting as those revenues had declined in light of growing U.S. production and falling market prices.  Now, not so much.
I’m long XLE.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 31, 2022, 10:28:34 PM »
If there is a bunch of Russian owned farmland in Nebraska we should seize it and have SD rule over it.

Can't remember if I read it on this blog or my pheasant hunting blog but apparently some russian has been buying up a crap ton of land near the KS/CO border close to Scott City for a couple of years now and all the locals are pissed.

Seize that crap and homestead it out like the 1880's

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2022, 10:43:37 AM »
Would the homestead act work today?  I don’t think so.  Too much capital needed to farm.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2022, 05:30:36 PM »
it'd have to be more than 160 acres.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2022, 06:07:24 PM »
it'd have to be more than 160 acres.
I almost think the opposite is true and if they tried to offer people small 50-100 acre farms and gave them like some chickens and other livestock and let them just create a small little yeoman farm that would be more realistic.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2022, 06:08:50 PM »
maybe if they're trying to attract work-from-home hobby farmers.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2022, 08:28:17 AM »