Author Topic: TRUMP v. NOBODY! 2024 PRIMARY BLOODBATH!  (Read 60463 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: TRUMP v. NOBODY! 2024 PRIMARY BLOODBATH!
« Reply #2176 on: March 03, 2024, 09:43:49 PM »

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 04, 2024, 06:18:52 AM »
2 things that have held true since always:

Where the DC primary goes, so goes the nation. and

Superior (Gitchegumee) never gives up her dead when the gales of November come earlyyyyy

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 04, 2024, 08:36:09 AM »
He's now the first man to ever lose a republican primary to a woman.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: March 04, 2024, 09:38:04 AM »
stinky got smoked in DC

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: March 04, 2024, 09:43:52 AM »
Trump back on the ballot in Colorado: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/04/supreme-court-rules-in-trump-colorado-ballot-case.html

I appreciate that it was a unanimous decision, but it is yet another example of how stupid our electoral college system is:

“I think that the question that you have to confront is why a single state should decide who gets to be president of the United States,” Justice Elena Kagan, one of the court’s more progressive members, said during the hearing to a lawyer for the six Colorado voters who sought Trump’s disqualification.

And yet that's how it works.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: March 04, 2024, 09:48:32 AM »
2 things that have held true since always:

Where the DC primary goes, so goes the nation. and

Superior (Gitchegumee) never gives up her dead when the gales of November come earlyyyyy
The swamp loves Nasty Nimrata.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: March 04, 2024, 09:56:42 AM »
Trump back on the ballot in Colorado: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/04/supreme-court-rules-in-trump-colorado-ballot-case.html

I appreciate that it was a unanimous decision, but it is yet another example of how stupid our electoral college system is:

“I think that the question that you have to confront is why a single state should decide who gets to be president of the United States,” Justice Elena Kagan, one of the court’s more progressive members, said during the hearing to a lawyer for the six Colorado voters who sought Trump’s disqualification.

I don't know much about the legal side of this, but isn't our constitution written so that states can specifically do this sort of thing?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: March 04, 2024, 10:04:53 AM »
The opinion spells some of this out.

Here is the first footnote:
The Elections Clause directs, in relevant part, that [t]he Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof. Art. I, §4, cl. 1. The Electors Clause similarly provides that each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, who in turn elect the President. Art. II, §1, cl. 2.

https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphics/documenttools/211766e3747ac16d/cd0a2038-full.pdf

Apparently all the justices agreed that it would be chaotic for states to be able to enforce the 14th Amendment at the state level, but they certainly have the ability to determine how people get included on their ballots and in what manner. It still doesn't strike me as logically consistent but more of an attempt to keep the Electoral College from doing any more damage than it needs to.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: March 04, 2024, 10:07:03 AM »

He absolutely needs to go to colorado and campaign with Boebert and her son immediately

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 04, 2024, 10:31:28 AM »

He absolutely needs to go to colorado and campaign with Boebert and her son immediately

You think the Boebs likes mushrooms?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 04, 2024, 10:39:08 AM »
The opinion spells some of this out.

Here is the first footnote:
The Elections Clause directs, in relevant part, that [t]he Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof. Art. I, §4, cl. 1. The Electors Clause similarly provides that each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, who in turn elect the President. Art. II, §1, cl. 2.

https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphics/documenttools/211766e3747ac16d/cd0a2038-full.pdf

Apparently all the justices agreed that it would be chaotic for states to be able to enforce the 14th Amendment at the state level, but they certainly have the ability to determine how people get included on their ballots and in what manner. It still doesn't strike me as logically consistent but more of an attempt to keep the Electoral College from doing any more damage than it needs to.

"We think our current laws are too chaotic, so we aren't going to do them" 

Are they ruling the constitution is unconstitutional? 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 04, 2024, 10:39:59 AM »
You know what else is super chaotic?  All these rough ridin' guns the originalists think the constitution allows. 

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 04, 2024, 10:41:41 AM »

You think the Boebs likes mushrooms?

not sure introspection is her thing

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: March 04, 2024, 05:38:44 PM »
Here was the single dispositive holding:

Because the Constitution makes Congress, rather than the States, responsible for enforcing Section 3 against federal officeholders and candidates, we reverse.

I kinda knew they were going to do something like this without having to reach the merits.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: March 04, 2024, 08:38:33 PM »
For the best

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: March 05, 2024, 08:43:03 AM »
Pubs in the Senate could have save the country all this trouble by voting to convict during the second impeachment trial. Does anyone in the US outside of Trump and the far right grift-o-sphere benefit from his continued presence in US politics?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: March 05, 2024, 11:50:01 AM »
Pubs in the Senate could have save the country all this trouble by voting to convict during the second impeachment trial. Does anyone in the US outside of Trump and the far right grift-o-sphere benefit from his continued presence in US politics?

They couldn't have done that.  It would have cost them their jobs.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: March 05, 2024, 12:12:34 PM »
For primaries here next week, you have to declare a party and then can only vote toward that party's primary on the ballot.  There's some negative consequence to declaring a party.  Last time, I did democrat to vote for biden against bernie.  Is it worth going republican this time to vote for any of the non-trumps?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
TRUMP v. NOBODY! 2024 PRIMARY BLOODBATH!
« Reply #2194 on: March 05, 2024, 12:19:24 PM »
For primaries here next week, you have to declare a party and then can only vote toward that party's primary on the ballot.  There's some negative consequence to declaring a party.  Last time, I did democrat to vote for biden against bernie.  Is it worth going republican this time to vote for any of the non-trumps?
Nikki Haley has won exactly one primary so far (becoming the first female in history to win a Republican primary). And that primary was in DC against the guy who incited an insurrection there. I wouldn’t go out of your way in the hopes of derailing him.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 05, 2024, 03:16:26 PM »

They couldn't have done that.  It would have cost them their jobs.
I'm not so sure. What if they had all said (say on Jan 20, 2021) that Trump is awesome but J6 was a step to far, we are moving on and just canned his crazy ass at that time. There is a hardcore MAGA faction that would have melted down but I think everyone would have moved on by now.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: March 05, 2024, 08:07:48 PM »
Texas Republicans are probably the worst and most MAGA in the country. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: March 05, 2024, 08:08:25 PM »
Florida
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 05, 2024, 08:31:02 PM »
It's a good point that different states have varying types and degrees of MAGA.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1765158679442035159

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: March 05, 2024, 08:32:31 PM »
Florida
I don’t know. I’ve lived in both FL and TX and I knew a few rational republicans there. I know none here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk