Author Topic: Supreme Court Cases Thread  (Read 30349 times)

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court Cases Thread
« Reply #625 on: June 27, 2022, 02:38:43 PM »
right, "voluntary" is def in quotes...  which is admittedly hard to see if u are a member of the majority

anyway

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 27, 2022, 02:45:09 PM »
What's the point of a post game prayer?  Any praying should be before the game to ask Sports Jesus to prevent any injuries and to also kick the other team's ass (in a respectful and Christian manner).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 27, 2022, 02:55:07 PM »
What's the point of a post game prayer?  Any praying should be before the game to ask Sports Jesus to prevent any injuries and to also kick the other team's ass (in a respectful and Christian manner).
Saying thank you for making it through with no or limited traumatic brain injuries I guess. Praying isn’t for just when you want something. It’s not like your list to Santa.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 27, 2022, 03:44:30 PM »
In a perfect world, the coach/adult in charge would realize that they are a coach/adult at a public school and not all of the players may hold the same religious beliefs as them and are only in the school they are in because of where there parents bought a house 20 years ago.

Then if they thought about it for five more seconds they might realize that It’s weird as eff to do prayer circles and prayers with your team before or after a game regardless of whether it’s voluntary or not. Like, you’re the adult. It just comes off as really immature to me.

All that said I would just quietly laugh at that crap and go along with it when I was 16 because I didn’t want to hurt the adults feelings or cause problems and would advise either of my kids to just do the same.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 27, 2022, 03:50:35 PM »
As always, Ricky D is correct
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: June 27, 2022, 06:03:07 PM »
Wacks nobody is laughing at you for going through IVF.  I personally know many people who have done it and are currently doing it.  It's actually quite common.

What people are laughing at is how many in the pro-overturning Roe crowd had no idea that it would affect people who need and want to pursue IVF.  I don't know for a fact, but I'm betting many of those same people had to do IVF as well.

Wacky I would be sad for you if you didn't have IVF as an option because Roe was overturned.  I would be sad for many of my friends and family who have also gone through that process. 

Again, dudes should have zero say whatsoever on what happens to a female's body.  In Kansas, the August 2nd vote should be for females only.

What about men that can get pregnant and women that can't?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 27, 2022, 06:34:17 PM »
Praying in circles before or after games isn’t weird. It’s definitely not something said coaches and the majority of their players are going feel weird doing or feel it’s at all inappropriate aside from directive from school administrator types.

It’s the opposite. It has always been the norm, especially in athletics where imo evangelical and religious types are far more common.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 27, 2022, 06:42:56 PM »
Praying in circles before or after games isn’t weird. It’s definitely not something said coaches and the majority of their players are going feel weird doing or feel it’s at all inappropriate aside from directive from school administrator types.

It’s the opposite. It has always been the norm, especially in athletics where imo evangelical and religious types are far more common.

that's precisely missing the point: the problem isn't that some "coaches and the majority of their players aren't going to feel weird doing it"...it's about the minority that is coerced into going along with something that violates their own religious beliefs

and ftr, i'm not convinced that this is all that common...i grew up in a red state (not KS, not deep south) and i don't remember any prayer at games, home or away...

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 27, 2022, 06:48:30 PM »

I have a problem with it (at a public school) if it can even conceivably be described as forced speech. The reason you don't think it's weird is because the First Amendment has failed, and Christianity has been accepted as the de facto established religion in this country. The rest is just mental gymnastics by very smart conservative kids from Harvard and Yale who know how to jigger with open-ended balancing tests to get the desired result.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 27, 2022, 06:53:45 PM »
some conflict btwn the recent turn of this thread and the predilections of our new bball coach.

maybe it's not an issue if all the players are recruited.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 27, 2022, 07:04:15 PM »
^ no it's the same issue...Dabo got his hand smacked for this stuff at Clemson a few years back

also
https://twitter.com/mollytaft/status/1541377841706803203

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 27, 2022, 07:15:56 PM »

that's precisely missing the point: the problem isn't that some "coaches and the majority of their players aren't going to feel weird doing it"...it's about the minority that is coerced into going along with something that violates their own religious beliefs

and ftr, i'm not convinced that this is all that common...i grew up in a red state (not KS, not deep south) and i don't remember any prayer at games, home or away...

Yes what dal9 said. Also if you are the adult employee and you can’t understand that creating an environment where minors are in any way shape or form expected or encouraged to join your personal and specific religious prayers and rituals, I am dumbfounded. Like how can adults not understand how inappropriate that is in a public school setting. Outside of a fellowship of Christian athletes club meeting or something, group prayer shouldn’t be allowed or ok in public schools and any adult leading it is without a doubt rough ridin' weird.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 27, 2022, 07:25:38 PM »
some conflict btwn the recent turn of this thread and the predilections of our new bball coach.

The evangelical preacher stuff is definitely gross (and I think I've mentioned that?) but it's also used as a selling point as you hint at.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 27, 2022, 07:36:43 PM »

The evangelical preacher stuff is definitely gross (and I think I've mentioned that?) but it's also used as a selling point as you hint at.

Kstate mens basketball players are adults who all had a choice to play here or play somewhere else. I don’t love it either but for me at least that is a major major major difference between the two. The 9th grader at wamego high doesn’t have that choice and there’s a decent chance his/her parents don’t even know about it.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 27, 2022, 07:55:04 PM »
what about Ish Masood, stuck here and unable to transfer?  I don't know his religion for a fact but he could be Muslim based on name.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 27, 2022, 09:17:12 PM »
He’s also an adult. Suck it up and deal. That’s also how I feel about the high school stuff. Like, I think it’s weird that the coaches/teachers think it’s ok (it isn’t) but I also don’t care that much. Life is full of people unaware of how inappropriate and ignorant they are.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 27, 2022, 09:18:05 PM »

Yes what dal9 said. Also if you are the adult employee and you can’t understand that creating an environment where minors are in any way shape or form expected or encouraged to join your personal and specific religious prayers and rituals, I am dumbfounded. Like how can adults not understand how inappropriate that is in a public school setting. Outside of a fellowship of Christian athletes club meeting or something, group prayer shouldn’t be allowed or ok in public schools and any adult leading it is without a doubt rough ridin' weird.

Yup, all of that is what it should be.

Also playing baseball all throughout HS, ever remember any prayer for that, and realistically the only time there was a prayer thing going on was @ Kapaun or @ Bishop Carrol, which made sense.

Also, still didn't make that feel any less weird being at a Catholic school.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 27, 2022, 09:55:47 PM »
He’s also an adult. Suck it up and deal. That’s also how I feel about the high school stuff. Like, I think it’s weird that the coaches/teachers think it’s ok (it isn’t) but I also don’t care that much. Life is full of people unaware of how in appropriate and ignorant they are.

I have always subscribed to this. However, I am recently thinking that a hundred million or so of us sucking up and dealing is what has led to zealots running loose.  Slippery slopes.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 27, 2022, 09:58:16 PM »
He’s also an adult. Suck it up and deal. That’s also how I feel about the high school stuff. Like, I think it’s weird that the coaches/teachers think it’s ok (it isn’t) but I also don’t care that much. Life is full of people unaware of how in appropriate and ignorant they are.

I have always subscribed to this. However, I am recently thinking that a hundred million or so of us sucking up and dealing is what has led to zealots running loose.  Slippery slopes.

Guys, make sure that, unlike a certain poster on this board who lies about voting, all you reasonable people actually get out and vote on August 2 and then in the November midterms.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 27, 2022, 10:00:19 PM »
I won’t vote, but I also don’t bitch about the result. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 27, 2022, 10:01:16 PM »

Yup, all of that is what it should be.

Also playing baseball all throughout HS, ever remember any prayer for that, and realistically the only time there was a prayer thing going on was @ Kapaun or @ Bishop Carrol, which made sense.

Also, still didn't make that feel any less weird being at a Catholic school.

I don’t think I ever saw it in baseball. Different culture.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 27, 2022, 10:16:43 PM »

Guys, make sure that, unlike a certain poster on this board who lies about voting, all you reasonable people actually get out and vote on August 2 and then in the November midterms.

I will definitely get out to vote on August 2. Not so sure on the midterms.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 27, 2022, 10:25:41 PM »
If your kid was getting singled out and bullied as a result you might care more.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 27, 2022, 10:38:06 PM »
When people tell you who they are, believe them. They're coming for your butt seks
https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1541441873625112581

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 27, 2022, 10:53:28 PM »
Ok but what if it's mutual buhsecks?