Author Topic: Supreme Court Cases Thread  (Read 31510 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Supreme Court Cases Thread
« Reply #525 on: June 26, 2022, 10:43:35 AM »
FWIW - I’m Catholic and, while I disagree with Pope Francis regarding some Catholic nerd stuff, I agree with the quotes from the article.  The tweets make it sound like the Vatican is suggesting that Catholics ought to be concerned with the other issues to the exclusion of abortion - which is not how I read the quotes at all.
Isn’t the thing that makes Catholics Catholic that they believe the pope is always right on matters of doctrine?
Lol, no.  Aside from your post being reductive about “what makes Catholics Catholic,” infallibility is a bit more complicated than that.
I don’t say that to be reductive. My understanding is that Catholics would be the same as Eastern Orthodox if they didn’t recognize the absolute authority of the pope.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court Cases Thread
« Reply #526 on: June 26, 2022, 10:45:52 AM »
Man, libs hate religion so hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think conservatives could learn a thing or two about spirituality and how it differs from religion.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 26, 2022, 10:56:02 AM »
So many issues would be better served without involving the federal government. It’s a great day for our republic.

wow

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 26, 2022, 11:09:35 AM »
This girl is canceled now btw

https://twitter.com/simplyabi242/status/1540485239646085122?s=21&t=EbIahj6sRPfrSkQpWFTGhw

The tweet has 242,000 likes and she doesn't even live in the untied states.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 26, 2022, 11:10:26 AM »

I think conservatives could learn a thing or two about spirituality and how it differs from religion.

When a religion tells people who are not of their religion how they are to conduct themselves, it's a problem. Totally agree on the spirituality part. Dogma vs. more practical thinking about ones place within a church or group.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 26, 2022, 11:13:15 AM »
So many issues would be better served without involving the federal government. It’s a great day for our republic.

This ain't one

Disagree! Based on my religious beliefs

I don’t believe in God.
A libertarian that is also anti abortion

The less federal oversight the better. The State is the enemy of the people. Monopoly on violence. Armed thugs.

You don't believe the first sentence, literally no one who lives in a democratic country does, it's not even remotely possible.

Your following sentences have nothing to do with your first one, nor does it have anything to do with the topic in this thread.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 26, 2022, 11:18:20 AM »
Man, I was edgelording pretty hard last night. Partied too hard I guess
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 26, 2022, 11:19:46 AM »
I kinda hope Clarance Thomas does get them to readdress other cases. Piss off the entire left and center leaning conservatives. Get them all good and fired up.

There's only one center leaning conservative on the court and I don't even know if that's a fair descriptor of him, he's just the only conservative that isn't overtly political.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 26, 2022, 11:46:58 AM »
FWIW - I’m Catholic and, while I disagree with Pope Francis regarding some Catholic nerd stuff, I agree with the quotes from the article.  The tweets make it sound like the Vatican is suggesting that Catholics ought to be concerned with the other issues to the exclusion of abortion - which is not how I read the quotes at all.

You know what really rough ridin' sucks?  The fact that anyone that isn’t catholic should have to be concerned in any single rough ridin' way what the rough ridin' pope thinks when it comes to governance, legislation, or judicial precedent while living in the country born of the need of religious freedom. That really rough ridin' sucks.
Well when you live in a democracy you sometimes need to take an interest in things that influence the rest of the electorate.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 26, 2022, 11:55:19 AM »
Isn’t the thing that makes Catholics Catholic that they believe the pope is always right on matters of doctrine?
Lol, no.  Aside from your post being reductive about “what makes Catholics Catholic,” infallibility is a bit more complicated than that.
I don’t say that to be reductive. My understanding is that Catholics would be the same as Eastern Orthodox if they didn’t recognize the absolute authority of the pope.
ah yeah I guess if you’re specifically comparing Roman Catholicism to Eastern Orthodox, then yeah the authority/leadership of the Vatican is one of the primary differences, but it’s broader than the concept of infallibility.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 26, 2022, 11:56:51 AM »

You know what really rough ridin' sucks?  The fact that anyone that isn’t catholic should have to be concerned in any single rough ridin' way what the rough ridin' pope thinks when it comes to governance, legislation, or judicial precedent while living in the country born of the need of religious freedom. That really rough ridin' sucks.
Well when you live in a democracy you sometimes need to take an interest in things that influence the rest of the electorate.
Yes follow rules set forth by justices appointed by presidents who lost popular votes

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 26, 2022, 11:57:48 AM »

That’s a cheap answer to a contradiction that the religious are somehow comfortable with.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 26, 2022, 12:09:34 PM »

While I agree with your sentiment don’t paint that broad brush. I think most religious people would do well to take to heart the quote from ghandi. I like your Christ. I do not like your Christian’s. They are so unlike your Christ.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 26, 2022, 12:12:19 PM »

That’s a cheap answer to a contradiction that the religious are somehow comfortable with.
I don’t understand how it’s cheap, nor do I understand what the contradiction is.  It’s not as if the US was founded as a place free of any religious influence.

If you don’t want to pay attention to electoral influences, then don’t.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 26, 2022, 12:12:30 PM »
If things were democratic, abortion wouldn't be illegal. Not even close.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 26, 2022, 12:15:17 PM »

While I agree with your sentiment don’t paint that broad brush. I think most religious people would do well to take to heart the quote from ghandi. I like your Christ. I do not like your Christian’s. They are so unlike your Christ.

Oh, totally forgot that quote. It's so goddamn true
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 26, 2022, 01:27:08 PM »

That’s a wonderful quote.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 26, 2022, 02:07:22 PM »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 26, 2022, 02:11:09 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 26, 2022, 02:16:38 PM »
Agreed.  I always thought Miranda was just an evidentiary issue.  I haven’t read the opinion though.

§ 1983

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 26, 2022, 02:45:46 PM »
Agreed.  I always thought Miranda was just an evidentiary issue.  I haven’t read the opinion though.

§ 1983

i think they were asking what u could actually sue for if the evidence is thrown out. 
the point is, sometimes the evidence is mistakenly admitted and a person spends time in prison, for which they could (previously) seek compensation (as in the case the Supreme Court heard)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 26, 2022, 03:05:54 PM »
Do you all just convince yourselves that abortion cases are because of the worst case scenario’s OAT to feel better about your stances or do you choose to ignore that 80% of the cases could be prevented by obvious precautions?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 26, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »

§ 1983

i think they were asking what u could actually sue for if the evidence is thrown out. 
the point is, sometimes the evidence is mistakenly admitted and a person spends time in prison, for which they could (previously) seek compensation (as in the case the Supreme Court heard)

They = Dlew?

In that particular case, the evidence was admitted, though the defendant was acquitted, nonetheless.

I worked on § 1983 cases while clerking at the Solicitor General's office, and the injury can simply be the deprivation of an established right.

I'm not sure if I'm fully understanding your response, so please let me know if that's the case.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 26, 2022, 03:50:54 PM »

§ 1983

They = Dlew?

In that particular case, the evidence was admitted, though the defendant was acquitted, nonetheless.

I worked on § 1983 cases while clerking at the Solicitor General's office, and the injury can simply be the deprivation of an established right.

I'm not sure if I'm fully understanding your response, so please let me know if that's the case.

yeah that's what i meant.

i thought the guy spent time in prison in the case--must have misread or misremembered

but do people ever recover  anything, under 1983, for deprivation of an established right if they can't point to concrete financial damages? 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 26, 2022, 03:54:46 PM »
Ah…yeah I’m not super familiar with 1983 stuff.