Author Topic: Playoff ranking predictions  (Read 12231 times)

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Playoff ranking predictions
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2021, 01:43:55 PM »
Tournament of champions: Each P5 and G5 champion + 2 At Large

SEC - Georgia
B10 - Mich St
PAC - Oregon
NB12 - Cincy
ACC - Wake
AAC - SMU
C-USA - UTSA
Mid Amer. - Northern Illinois
Mountain West - Fresno State
Sun Belt - Louisiana

At large - Alabama
At large - tOSU

That really doesn't get many good games.  I like the Top 6 League champs plus 6 at large better.  I would, however, eliminate this stupid committee and go back to the BCS rankings.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2021, 02:07:38 PM »

SEC - Georgia
B10 - Mich St
PAC - Oregon
NB12 - Cincy
ACC - Wake
AAC - SMU
C-USA - UTSA
Sun Belt - Louisiana

At large - Alabama
At large - tOSU

That really doesn't get many good games.  I like the Top 6 League champs plus 6 at large better.  I would, however, eliminate this stupid committee and go back to the BCS rankings.

These games would probably be a lot better than you expect them to be. Sort of like the 4/13 round of the NCAA tournament. A few snoozers and couple of really fun games.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2021, 02:42:48 PM »
I like the Top 6 League champs plus 6 at large better.  I would, however, eliminate this stupid committee and go back to the BCS rankings.

Yes, but the original BCS, not the later, modified one where they gave the coaches poll more weight than they should have just because of the "eye test". 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2021, 02:44:05 PM »
I think we should go back to bowl games and no national championship game.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »

SEC - Georgia
B10 - Mich St
PAC - Oregon
NB12 - Cincy
ACC - Wake
AAC - SMU
C-USA - UTSA
Sun Belt - Louisiana

At large - Alabama
At large - tOSU

These games would probably be a lot better than you expect them to be. Sort of like the 4/13 round of the NCAA tournament. A few snoozers and couple of really fun games.

Seeds 1-4 guaranteed second round home games.
Seeds 5-12 play each other in opening round.

That way seeds 1-8 get at least one home game.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2021, 02:49:28 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2021, 03:06:22 PM »
I think we should go back to bowl games and no national championship game.

Of course.  There's too many teams and too few games to have any sort of fair season/playoff/championship.

And with the move back, have all teams go back to their conferences from back then.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2021, 03:09:41 PM »
Making it a near tournament of champions w/ two at-large also dissuades the type of
Conference realignment we’ve been seeing increase since the 90s

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2021, 03:43:39 PM »
It's absolutely ridiculous how every other sport and every other level has figured this out except D1 NCAA Football.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2021, 07:43:29 PM »
Making it a near tournament of champions w/ two at-large also dissuades the type of
Conference realignment we’ve been seeing increase since the 90s

No it doesn't.  Realignment is driven by TV contracts for regular-season games and small penis syndrome (Aggie, Huskers) etc.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2021, 08:24:57 PM »
That’s true at face value, but conference games have more draw when there is something meaningful at stake.

FBS college football is kind of a unique creature. I can’t easily think of any other sports league where there is as big of a disparity between the biggest and smallest cash generators. So most systems don’t have to directly address whether they should prioritize the best teams or the biggest draws in their playoffs.

So far it’s been clear that the FBS has gone with the bigger draws, while tying itself in knots pretending it’s choosing the best teams.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2021, 09:01:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/dannykanell/status/1455672150342488068?s=20

This is per ESPN wishes.  They want as many viewers as possible and are afraid to put a small named school in the CFP and lose money.  That's why ESPN needs to lose their domination of the CFP and bring in other Networks.  The ten conference champions and two at large would be great.  It would make every game count in every conference, since the regular season would lead up to qualifying for the CFP with the CCG.  Also the two at large would be very competitive, like this year one would be the loser of the SEC CCG and maybe the loser of the BIG CCG.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2021, 08:22:46 AM »
I agree completely, but ESPN is not going to willfully give up control/money over NCAA FB. They're going to make someone force them to give it up.

Wow, lots of games played yesterday that affected the playoff picture. Yesterday is a prime example of why you don't get upset about midseason rankings and placements when there's still so much football left to be played.

SEC: Alabama and Georgia are it. No other team, even if they run the table, is making it in.

big 10: Michigan State couldn't bear the burden of being in control of its own destiny and dropped an ugly loss to Purdue. Minnesota also lost to Illinois so that eliminates their outside shot as well. The big 10 is now only going to be sending 1 to the playoff for sure and it will either be Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State.

Big XII: Oklahoma is basically it with an outside shot for OSU. Baylor lost to TCU so any prayer they had is now gone.

Pac: Oregon still technically in it, but still needing help.

ACC: Wake Forest lost to North Carolina so their dream of coming in and causing problems is gone.

All others: Tulsa gave Cincinnati quite a scare, but Cincy held on 8 times at the goal line to get the win. It's only ND left otherwise, and they need help.

So Alabama/Georgia, OhioSt/Mich/MichSt, OU/OSU, and Cincy is how things are currently looking. Er'body else needs help getting in.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2021, 08:44:53 AM »

Yesterday is a prime example of why you don't get upset about midseason rankings and placements when there's still so much football left to be played.

That is a horrible ESPN talking point.  The reason to be upset by the midseason rankings is that it shows how poor and biased the committee thinking about these teams is at the time of the rankings.  Purdue upsetting Mich St opening a door for Cincy does not bail out the committee for underrating Cincy.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2021, 09:02:10 AM »
I agree completely, but ESPN is not going to willfully give up control/money over NCAA FB. They're going to make someone force them to give it up.

Wow, lots of games played yesterday that affected the playoff picture. Yesterday is a prime example of why you don't get upset about midseason rankings and placements when there's still so much football left to be played.

SEC: Alabama and Georgia are it. No other team, even if they run the table, is making it in.

big 10: Michigan State couldn't bear the burden of being in control of its own destiny and dropped an ugly loss to Purdue. Minnesota also lost to Illinois so that eliminates their outside shot as well. The big 10 is now only going to be sending 1 to the playoff for sure and it will either be Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State.

Big XII: Oklahoma is basically it with an outside shot for OSU. Baylor lost to TCU so any prayer they had is now gone.

Pac: Oregon still technically in it, but still needing help.

ACC: Wake Forest lost to North Carolina so their dream of coming in and causing problems is gone.

All others: Tulsa gave Cincinnati quite a scare, but Cincy held on 8 times at the goal line to get the win. It's only ND left otherwise, and they need help.

So Alabama/Georgia, OhioSt/Mich/MichSt, OU/OSU, and Cincy is how things are currently looking. Er'body else needs help getting in.

That's why the P5 conferences need to wait until ESPN's contract is over, which should be 2025.  They are wanting to redo the CFP contract ahead of time so they can be exclusive in the negotiations of the new contract.  The conferences want to wait so they can bid it out to other networks and include things like having the first round of games in the P5 stadiums vs Bowl stadiums.  This would add additional money going to P5 conferences.  Also, they could contract with multiple networks which could result in money close to what the NFL is getting.   

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2021, 09:30:16 AM »
I’ll be interested to see how Disney handles ESPN in the next 5 to 10 years.  There are a few articles out there speaking about Disney struggling to fully commit to ESPN because their business model is still heavy on the cable subscriber model.  The short term is likely going to be espn+ hits something in the $10-$15 per month due to Disney wanting a more streaming focused platform.

But i really have no clue how it will affect the 2025 negotiations.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2021, 06:51:33 PM »
I think there will be several networks and streaming services that will want in on the bidding for the 12 team champion of champions CFP. 
IT'S RAINING MONEY!!!

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2021, 01:15:55 PM »
Fun fact: if Alabama and UGA both get in (which is extremely likely --- even with 2 loss Alabama), they'll almost assuredly won't play each in the first round.

Something tells me the non SEC world will be pulling for Auburn in the iron bowl.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2021, 02:06:55 PM »
Michigan State is out. No reasonable scenario would put them in.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2021, 03:04:28 PM »
Fun fact: if Alabama and UGA both get in (which is extremely likely --- even with 2 loss Alabama), they'll almost assuredly won't play each in the first round.

Something tells me the non SEC world will be pulling for Auburn in the iron bowl.

A 2 loss Alabama would need help to get in. Help in the form of every other team ahead of them sans Georgia (obviously) dropping a game they shouldn't. 2 loss Bama isn't getting in over undefeated Cincy, OU, or a 1 loss OSU/Ohio/Mich/Mich St/Oregon conference champion. Hell, even ND at that point would be a challenge.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2021, 03:41:40 PM »

A 2 loss Alabama would need help to get in. Help in the form of every other team ahead of them sans Georgia (obviously) dropping a game they shouldn't. 2 loss Bama isn't getting in over undefeated Cincy, OU, or a 1 loss OSU/Ohio/Mich/Mich St/Oregon conference champion. Hell, even ND at that point would be a challenge.

Mich St being a 1 loss team is statistically impossible.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2021, 03:51:51 PM »

:confused:

Unless you have a reason for it being impossible for them to win their next 3, and then subsequently 4th, it is absolutely possible. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2021, 03:54:14 PM »
More Cincinnati nightmare fuel: Auburn wins the iron bowl and A&M wins out (including the SEC championship game).  No way both A&M and Georgia aren't both in.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2021, 03:55:56 PM »

:confused:

Unless you have a reason for it being impossible for them to win their next 3, and then subsequently 4th, it is absolutely possible.

i'm smoking drugs and got confused. i redact my previous assertion.