Author Topic: Playoff ranking predictions  (Read 12462 times)

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Playoff ranking predictions
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2021, 08:16:51 AM »
Fun fact: if Alabama and UGA both get in (which is extremely likely --- even with 2 loss Alabama), they'll almost assuredly won't play each in the first round.

Something tells me the non SEC world will be pulling for Auburn in the iron bowl.

A 2 loss Alabama would need help to get in. Help in the form of every other team ahead of them sans Georgia (obviously) dropping a game they shouldn't. 2 loss Bama isn't getting in over undefeated Cincy, OU, or a 1 loss OSU/Ohio/Mich/Mich St/Oregon conference champion. Hell, even ND at that point would be a challenge.

Alabama wins outs and loses to Georgia on a last second field goal in the SEC championship.  Why on earth would the committee drop them out of the top 4?  The committee picks what they think are the BEST 4 teams. Not the MOST DESERVING 4 teams.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2021, 10:42:09 AM »
Fun fact: if Alabama and UGA both get in (which is extremely likely --- even with 2 loss Alabama), they'll almost assuredly won't play each in the first round.

Something tells me the non SEC world will be pulling for Auburn in the iron bowl.

A 2 loss Alabama would need help to get in. Help in the form of every other team ahead of them sans Georgia (obviously) dropping a game they shouldn't. 2 loss Bama isn't getting in over undefeated Cincy, OU, or a 1 loss OSU/Ohio/Mich/Mich St/Oregon conference champion. Hell, even ND at that point would be a challenge.

Alabama wins outs and loses to Georgia on a last second field goal in the SEC championship.  Why on earth would the committee drop them out of the top 4?  The committee picks what they think are the BEST 4 teams. Not the MOST DESERVING 4 teams.

Because Bama has not looked dominant like in years past. They dropped the game at A&M, they struggled with Tennessee for 3 quarters, barely eeked by LSU.

We'll see if they can make it to the SEC CG without losing another, but assuming there's no collapse of the other teams that would be ahead of them, they're going to have to beat Georgia to get in.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2021, 06:55:45 PM »

Because Bama has not looked dominant like in years past. They dropped the game at A&M, they struggled with Tennessee for 3 quarters, barely eeked by LSU.

We'll see if they can make it to the SEC CG without losing another, but assuming there's no collapse of the other teams that would be ahead of them, they're going to have to beat Georgia to get in.

Oh, they'll make it without another loss, which should be accounted in the equation. Their normally over inflated schedule is not even that this year, it's completely ordinary.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2021, 07:50:30 PM »

2 loss bama gets in if it’s close against Georgia IMO
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2021, 08:04:46 PM »
More Cincinnati nightmare fuel: Auburn wins the iron bowl and A&M wins out (including the SEC championship game).  No way both A&M and Georgia aren't both in.

The thought of A&M making it to the CFP makes me physically sick.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2021, 08:35:06 PM »
Michigan/Michigan State, lol, this committee is something else. Neither of them deserve to be in the top 7 particularly Michigan, but how in good conscious do you just ignore a game played 9 damn games days ago?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 06:04:05 AM by MakeItRain »

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2021, 08:53:07 PM »
Michigan/Michigan State, lol, this committee is something else. Neither of them deserve to be in the top 7 particularly Michigan, but how in good conscious do you just ignore a game played 9 damn games ago?

The committee: it’s simple, Michigan’s loss is better than Michigan State’s, H2H does not matter.

Seconds later….

Oregon beat Ohio State H2H so we’re going to put them ahead. We know what we’re doing.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2021, 09:11:12 PM »
Holy moly what a mess

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2021, 09:25:44 PM »
Is Gene part of the problem or just afraid to fight for better rankings?  Either way, I like him less knowing he’s involved in this sham.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2021, 11:55:24 AM »
I have honestly never really cared about the CFP (obviously because we've never been in the conversation) but I have thought way too much about it since last night. There is just too much fuckery here.

The Cincy and OU rankings, the Oregon/OSU and Michigan/Michigan ST thing. Something isn't right.

What if the committee/ESPN is basically saying, hey OU, if you were in the SEC you'd be in, but you're not so you're OUT. Hurry up and get to the SEC like next year so we can do more crap and start to ignore any format changes that would include auto bids or something. Or are they rough ridin' it up so bad they want it to change to auto-bids soon? IDK. It's a complete garbage system as is.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2021, 12:00:29 PM »
I have honestly never really cared about the CFP (obviously because we've never been in the conversation) but I have thought way too much about it since last night. There is just too much fuckery here.

The Cincy and OU rankings, the Oregon/OSU and Michigan/Michigan ST thing. Something isn't right.

What if the committee/ESPN is basically saying, hey OU, if you were in the SEC you'd be in, but you're not so you're OUT. Hurry up and get to the SEC like next year so we can do more crap and start to ignore any format changes that would include auto bids or something. Or are they rough ridin' it up so bad they want it to change to auto-bids soon? IDK. It's a complete garbage system as is.

I still don't like how Bama is as high but, I would take a BCS ranking for the seeding again, I still just wish though in addition to a ranking that winning your conference mattered. because it should
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2021, 04:28:21 PM »
I think OU is getting shafted as they have no real advocates in the room.  The SEC representative won't care until they join and Gene/the Big 12 shouldn't give a eff about them either.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2021, 05:11:49 PM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2021, 06:36:32 PM »
Is Gene part of the problem or just afraid to fight for better rankings?  Either way, I like him less knowing he’s involved in this sham.
Oh I’m just the opposite. I’m convinced Gene is pulling strings on the inside to get the committee to come up with consistently nonsensical rankings so that people overwhelmingly demand an 8 or 12 team playoff, which both gives the Cats a realistic shot at the playoffs and could solidify the Big 12 as a power conference with an autobid.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2021, 07:49:31 PM »
Gene is doing what any AD would do in his position. They all have the same mentality.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2021, 08:46:18 AM »
I would actually watch this.

https://twitter.com/redditcfb/status/1458571730843176960

Except most years this would include 4 or 5 SEC teams, not 3.  Need to stay far away from 12 playoff teams for the Big 12 to remain relevant.   
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2021, 09:49:01 AM »

Except most years this would include 4 or 5 SEC teams, not 3.  Need to stay far away from 12 playoff teams for the Big 12 to remain relevant.   

Quick glance shows the previous 6 years of the CFP, in this format the SEC would average having 3 per season. The previous 4 having 4, and only one season ever you could maybe try to make an argument for 5.

I'd say having representation from all conferences and 3 or 4 SEC teams is still a hell of a lot better than what they're doing now.

If those SEC teams don't advance in the playoffs every year, I could see the rankings dropping them in the years after (this may be a stretch, but still).  If the SEC teams in the playoffs dominate the playoffs, they should rightfully be highly valued in rankings each year.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2021, 10:31:13 AM »

Quick glance shows the previous 6 years of the CFP, in this format the SEC would average having 3 per season. The previous 4 having 4, and only one season ever you could maybe try to make an argument for 5.

I'd say having representation from all conferences and 3 or 4 SEC teams is still a hell of a lot better than what they're doing now.

If those SEC teams don't advance in the playoffs every year, I could see the rankings dropping them in the years after (this may be a stretch, but still).  If the SEC teams in the playoffs dominate the playoffs, they should rightfully be highly valued in rankings each year.

This will change with a restructured, 16-team SEC.  Should set them up nicely to have 4 in a 12-team playoff every year.  PAC, Big 12, and ACC will be lucky to get more than 1 team in, especially if ND stays competitive. 

One loss Ohio St. squeaks by Nebraska and still gains a spot in the rankings, all the while undefeated OU and Cinci are behind them. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2021, 10:46:13 AM »
Gene is doing what any AD would do in his position. They all have the same mentality.

Sit on their ass and collect fat checks until it's time to retire?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2021, 10:50:10 AM »
This will change with a restructured, 16-team SEC.  Should set them up nicely to have 4 in a 12-team playoff every year.  PAC, Big 12, and ACC will be lucky to get more than 1 team in, especially if ND stays competitive. 

One loss Ohio St. squeaks by Nebraska and still gains a spot in the rankings, all the while undefeated OU and Cinci are behind them.

This is a dumb year for the CFP.

The B12 would have had 2 teams in each year except for 2 (in the 12 team system). Including 3 teams in 2014 with you guessed it, YOUR K-STATE WILDCATS

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2021, 12:28:09 PM »
I think OU is getting shafted as they have no real advocates in the room.  The SEC representative won't care until they join and Gene/the Big 12 shouldn't give a eff about them either.

No, gene should absolutely care about OU and the payout they would get for each conference member if they got it. It's exactly why each committee member with a school/conference affiliation is supposed to recuse themselves from the discussion about those teams.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2021, 08:09:13 PM »
I still think a CFP of 10 conference champions with two of the highest ranked teams included would keep rough ridin' conferences like SEC and big 10 loading the playoff.  Also it would take the mumped up rankings out of it and especially the group of dumb fucks that we all know is there for Disney's interest.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2021, 01:50:17 PM »
Which is why it'll never happen

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2021, 01:57:04 PM »
P5 is never going to introduce a system that treats the G5 that close to equally.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2021, 06:35:47 PM »
P5 is never going to introduce a system that treats the G5 that close to equally.

Not only that but a system that unreasonably penalizes really good P5 teams.