Author Topic: Playoff ranking predictions  (Read 12225 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Playoff ranking predictions
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2021, 06:48:18 PM »
Gene gets on the committee and the thing goes to crap.

Maybe he's doing the right thing and working to keep OU out!  :Woot:

We need that playoff money bruh!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2021, 06:54:23 PM »
I thought that Alabama would have to win the SEC to get in but now I'm not so sure if a few dominating wins and a close loss to UGA is enough for it to happen.  Might need a couple of other things to fall but damn?!

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2021, 07:05:09 PM »
What a garbage system. I'm now trying to think what is worse, CFP with a committee or the BCS.

Until we get to the day of P5 confy champs getting an auto bid + 1 G5 autobid this crap is constantly going to happen, woof
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2021, 07:09:20 PM »
I'm more pissed about Alabama at 2 than anything else, it makes zero sense unless the eye test matters and nothing else does. But we know they aren't using the eye test because Oregon.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2021, 07:10:31 PM »
SEC is getting two, it’s virtually assured now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2021, 07:49:46 PM »
What a garbage system. I'm now trying to think what is worse, CFP with a committee or the BCS.

Without a doubt the CFP committee is worse. The BCS was a formula, that for the most part everybody knew went into it. Sure there was some subjectivity from the coaches, but it's spread out and not in the hands of just a few knuckleheads.

The best would just be a single formula like Chernobyl where everyone knew exactly how it was calculated.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2021, 07:53:39 PM »
Chernobyl has an Auburn easter egg buried in it but other than that I agree

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2021, 07:56:34 PM »
an yes. like the sands through an hourglass, here come the CFP antagonists, all of whom think they know more about it all than the professionals. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2021, 08:05:58 PM »
an yes. like the sands through an hourglass, here come the CFP antagonists, all of whom think they know more about it all than the professionals.

I know this is TIC but two weeks ago Gene was on Wildcat Insider saying he hadn't "started watching games yet" in the context of his work on the cfp. They don't mandate that they start watching games until the end of October. He also said the committee assigns each member a group of teams.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2021, 08:30:36 PM »

Without a doubt the CFP committee is worse. The BCS was a formula, that for the most part everybody knew went into it. Sure there was some subjectivity from the coaches, but it's spread out and not in the hands of just a few knuckleheads.

The best would just be a single formula like Chernobyl where everyone knew exactly how it was calculated.

Agree. Plus, the BCS didn't seem to devalue the rest of the bowls like the CFP has.

Found the following tweet comparing what the BCS would say. Surprised there isn't a BCS emulator site out there.

https://twitter.com/BCSKnowHow/status/1455678809932447744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1455678809932447744%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2F2021%2F11%2F02%2Fcfp-rankings-2021-bcs-rank-teams%2F

For comparison, here is a link to the Massey Composite (https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm), which is my goto for cfb rankings (outside of ChERNOBYL). They are a bit wonky so far this season.

Massey Composite:
1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Ohio St
4. Michigan
5. Cincy
6. Mich St
7. OU
8. ND
9. Wake Forest
10. Oklahoma St.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2021, 09:18:13 AM »

Man I couldn't be any more wrong about Cincinnati and the committee. I can't even believe how awful this first poll was. They have zero shot of getting in. They'd take Notre Dame before they take Cincinnati.

Alabama hasn't done jack crap, and won't until the CCG. Does your resume actually not matter for anything?

The resumes matter, but only to the extent that committee members need to justify themselves picking the wrong programs to be in the playoffs.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2021, 09:20:30 AM »
I was playing around with what it would look like if the new system gets approved as proposed (Top 6 League champs + 6 at large)
Note: Assumed new conference alignments and highest rank team in conference as their champion.
First round location is in ()

Champs
SEC - Georgia (Bye)
B10 - Mich. St (Bye)
Pac - Oregon (Bye)
NB12 - Cincy (Home)
ACC - Wake (Away)
MW - Fresno St (Away)

At Large
Alabama (Bye)
tOSU (Home)
Mich (Home)
Sooners (Home)
ND (Away)
Ok St (Away)

Conference breakdown
B10 - 3
SEC - 3
NB12 - 2
ACC - 1
PAC - 1
MW - 1
Ind - 1

A couple of thoughts:
- First round byes should go to top 4 conference champs not top 4.
- With the Big 12 taking the top 4 (maybe more) G5 teams there may be some years where the 6th league champ isn't in the top 25.  I could even happen to the PAC if Oregon were to lose their title game
- New Big 12 seems to still be in Top 3 of conferences (Baylor is first out of a 12 team playoff right now and BYU is 4th out)

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2021, 09:44:38 AM »
Tournament of champions: Each P5 and G5 champion + 2 At Large

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2021, 09:46:15 AM »

That would be a lot of fun.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2021, 09:49:18 AM »
The efforts to fix the college football national championship problem (?) of the early 90’s have really mumped up a lot of college football.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2021, 09:55:03 AM »
Yeah. This year's Cincinnati team would have a decent shot at playing for a championship if everything worked the way things did in the 90s. You would probably have to reduce media coverage to what it was then, too, though.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2021, 09:59:56 AM »
The efforts to fix the college football national championship problem (?) of the early 90’s have really mumped up a lot of college football.

Very much. I find it fascinating that ESPN and its reporters have been there all along, helping to push the idea that the college football post season needs to be fixed. And all the while, ESPN continues to make more and more money from each iteration.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2021, 10:40:24 AM »
What a complete and total joke. There's still a lot of football left to be played, and so things may work out how they should, but that playoff poll is total trash as it's currently written.

Maybe all the remaining conferences minus the e$ECpn should ban together for their own post season. Hell, the Rose Bowl use to do it. Straight up tell the CFP committee and this clearly biased TV crap that they can just play with themselves and their pro SEC mindset after December.

If Cincy runs the tables we're going to have two co-champions again, just like 2017.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2021, 12:09:13 PM »
I was playing around with what it would look like if the new system gets approved as proposed (Top 6 League champs + 6 at large)
Note: Assumed new conference alignments and highest rank team in conference as their champion.
First round location is in ()

Champs
SEC - Georgia (Bye)
B10 - Mich. St (Bye)
Pac - Oregon (Bye)
NB12 - Cincy (Home)
ACC - Wake (Away)
MW - Fresno St (Away)

At Large
Alabama (Bye)
tOSU (Home)
Mich (Home)
Sooners (Home)
ND (Away)
Ok St (Away)

Conference breakdown
B10 - 3
SEC - 3
NB12 - 2
ACC - 1
PAC - 1
MW - 1
Ind - 1

A couple of thoughts:
- First round byes should go to top 4 conference champs not top 4.
- With the Big 12 taking the top 4 (maybe more) G5 teams there may be some years where the 6th league champ isn't in the top 25.  I could even happen to the PAC if Oregon were to lose their title game
- New Big 12 seems to still be in Top 3 of conferences (Baylor is first out of a 12 team playoff right now and BYU is 4th out)

I like this, but don’t see a reason to limit it to 6 conf champs. It’s FBS football. If you’re an FBS conf champ you should be in w/ no questions asked.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2021, 12:10:40 PM »

Yep.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2021, 12:19:21 PM »

It's pretty much what needs to happen. Honestly the more polls that come out like yesterday the more the CFP will slide down the viewership scale. No one likes sameness, people want variety and a shot. Bama could very well actually be the #2 or the best team, but if teams like Cincy this year (or UCF, or other teams prior in the BCS era) don't even get a shot, a seat at the table, then why even play the games? People don't watch the NCAA tourny because they want to see the blue bloods win, they want to see if they'll lose, who is the Cinderella story, who is going to actually pull it all together. Do the top teams often win? Of course, but you can't tell me UMBC's win over UVA wasn't magical, or what the people crave.

The way it's set up right now would be like if you had a track and field 100m dash from 10 different tracks all across the US and just picked 4 fastest guys to be the fastest by looking at their times, but like, only looking at the seconds, and not tenths/hundredths digits, and then saying no no, any of the other guys who ran a 9.XX second race (how can we know!) aren't good enough to be raced against the others, because I saw those 4 guys over there run a 9.XX and they looked really good to me.

Very much. I find it fascinating that ESPN and its reporters have been there all along, helping to push the idea that the college football post season needs to be fixed. And all the while, ESPN continues to make more and more money from each iteration.

In general yes, but I remember plenty of talking heads prior to this playoff on ESPN saying that the season was the playoff, so why even have one. ESPN def stands to gain from it, but I truly think they are starting to realize the playoff has been a giant bust so far, and are trying to bail themselves out of it, while at the same time influencing it to have been this way the whole time. ESPN has had a huge hand in ruining CFB.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2021, 12:26:01 PM »
I saw someone said last night that the CFP would be like the MLB playing a regular season, and the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers would be selected to play in the championship games every single season, no matter their regular season record or if they finished 2nd or 3rd or 4th in their division/league. And it was pretty spot on.

It's all about the brand.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2021, 12:47:29 PM »
Yup

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2021, 01:16:32 PM »

You said it. But was it inevitable? With tv (now streaming) access and money expanding exponentially, the old regional way w/ all the bowl tie-ins, and a beauty pageant for the “national championship” at the end seems pretty hard to hold on to.