Author Topic: Pistols firing from ambush?  (Read 15593 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Pistols firing from ambush?
« Reply #300 on: September 26, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »
How shitty must Clemson be at recruiting QBs and having capable backups? I mean, yeah Trevor Lawrence was pretty good, but they looked like garbage when he went down. They’ve been worse than pedestrian since he’s left as well.

Fire everyone, Clemson. Fire everyone.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 26, 2021, 04:43:56 PM »
How shitty must Clemson be at recruiting QBs and having capable backups? I mean, yeah Trevor Lawrence was pretty good, but they looked like garbage when he went down. They’ve been worse than pedestrian since he’s left as well.

I think the growing thought at Clemson is Jeff Scott may have been the brains behind the offense?  Because it's been really downhill since Jeff Scott left for USF.  But reading through Clemson forums, it sounds like fans aren't really high on bringing Scott back if he gets fired at USF.

*i fully expect them to fire the OC at the end of the year.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 26, 2021, 05:31:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/nocontextcfb/status/1315069299417993216
He had an 80 yard run the same game!

I think the higher prospects of him tripping over his own feet or fumbling the ball for no reason make it easier for him to get those long runs against defenses that dismiss his ability to ever do so.
Yeah that makes sense

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 26, 2021, 06:03:32 PM »

I think the higher prospects of him tripping over his own feet or fumbling the ball for no reason make it easier for him to get those long runs against defenses that dismiss his ability to ever do so.
Yeah that makes sense
Those ridiculously long runs only happen on the first possession anyway.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 26, 2021, 06:08:30 PM »

Yeah that makes sense
Opposing DCs are a bunch of ding dongs!

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 26, 2021, 06:11:49 PM »

Yeah that makes sense
Opposing DCs are a bunch of ding dongs!
That statement is not without some validity.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 26, 2021, 06:44:22 PM »

I think the growing thought at Clemson is Jeff Scott may have been the brains behind the offense?  Because it's been really downhill since Jeff Scott left for USF.  But reading through Clemson forums, it sounds like fans aren't really high on bringing Scott back if he gets fired at USF.

*i fully expect them to fire the OC at the end of the year.

Let me rephrase. I’m guessing nearly every team’s offense, even the really good ones, typically looks like hot garbage when the starter goes down. When you get to the third stringer … welp.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 26, 2021, 10:14:43 PM »

Only K-State has quarterback issues, the rest of college football have perfectly capable quarterbacks, four or five deep.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 27, 2021, 03:45:20 PM »
Let's not look over the fact Messingham thinks Will Howard's forte is running the ball

He's pretty good at it, Luke.

Yeah it's wild people watch him and don't realize how athletic he is.

I think it's offset by things like rolling around at the goal line trying to find the football resting next to him
I really don't think you can be considered a good runner if you are clumsy AF which Will Howard is. If we want to run option and QB run all game then recruit a goddamn running QB.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 28, 2021, 03:28:06 AM »
Let's not look over the fact Messingham thinks Will Howard's forte is running the ball

He's pretty good at it, Luke.

Yeah it's wild people watch him and don't realize how athletic he is.

I think it's offset by things like rolling around at the goal line trying to find the football resting next to him
I really don't think you can be considered a good runner if you are clumsy AF which Will Howard is. If we want to run option and QB run all game then recruit a goddamn running QB.

We don't run the option and Will was recruited as a dual threat QB, he had 500 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns in high school.

Jaren Lewis was not a high school dual threat, btw, he was a pro style QB.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 28, 2021, 10:51:21 AM »
Not sure if it's even comparable or not, but I was watching the Oregon St game Saturday night and was thinking how much more of a badass Sam Noyer is than any other QB we have, including Thompson.  Then I compared his recruiting profile to Howard's and they are basically identical, Howard had way more legit offers.  Granted Noyer has had more time and experience, but it is night and day in their abilities.  Makes me think the nepotism for our QB coach wasn't very smart.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 28, 2021, 10:55:35 AM »
Not sure if it's even comparable or not, but I was watching the Oregon St game Saturday night and was thinking how much more of a badass Sam Noyer is than any other QB we have, including Thompson.  Then I compared his recruiting profile to Howard's and they are basically identical, Howard had way more legit offers.  Granted Noyer has had more time and experience, but it is night and day in their abilities.  Makes me think the nepotism for our QB coach wasn't very smart.

I think Will Howard’s committable offers were KU, KSU, Maryland.  He’s honestly a pretty decent pickup outside his propensity to fumble. I agree development of QB’s has been less than desirable.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 28, 2021, 12:11:15 PM »

What the hell are you talking about? First of all, Sam Noyer didn't play a single second of the Oregon State USC game, unless he's the holder on field goals. Noyer is the backup who has gone 11-21 with 101 yards 0 TDs and 2 INTs. Chance Nolan, the quarterback you saw, was very good, but he also plays in a very different offense. He had 4 TDs which is awesome, no doubt. Skylar Thompson has had four different 4 TD games, three of those against a top 10 team. Very weird place and time to hate on Skylar.

I don't know what nepotism has to do with our quarterback coach or what our quarterback coach has to do with Oregon State quarterbacks. I also have no idea what the role of quarterback coach is with skill level and development of quarterbacks and I'm guessing none of the rest of us do either.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 28, 2021, 02:06:05 PM »

What the hell are you talking about? First of all, Sam Noyer didn't play a single second of the Oregon State USC game, unless he's the holder on field goals. Noyer is the backup who has gone 11-21 with 101 yards 0 TDs and 2 INTs. Chance Nolan, the quarterback you saw, was very good, but he also plays in a very different offense. He had 4 TDs which is awesome, no doubt. Skylar Thompson has had four different 4 TD games, three of those against a top 10 team. Very weird place and time to hate on Skylar.

I don't know what nepotism has to do with our quarterback coach or what our quarterback coach has to do with Oregon State quarterbacks. I also have no idea what the role of quarterback coach is with skill level and development of quarterbacks and I'm guessing none of the rest of us do either.

Damnit, you are right.  I got Noyer and Nolan mixed up.  Classic mistake.. I had several beers that day.

I guess all I was saying was that I was watching him and thought damn, I wish we could get a guy like that (he is also just a 3 star guy with no more offers than Howard in the same class). He was making ridiculous throws that impressed me, no matter what offense they run.  As far as comparing him to Skylar, he was making much better reads and throws than I have ever seen Skylar make.  That is my several beers down opinion.   As far as the nepotism thing goes.. you think Klein would have a QB coaching gig at a D1 school other than K-State?

Edit: Nolan was a juco guy, so he does have more experience than Howard.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 28, 2021, 02:15:48 PM »

Damnit, you are right.  I got Noyer and Nolan mixed up.  Classic mistake.. I had several beers that day.

I guess all I was saying was that I was watching him and thought damn, I wish we could get a guy like that (he is also just a 3 star guy with no more offers than Howard in the same class). He was making ridiculous throws that impressed me, no matter what offense they run.  As far as comparing him to Skylar, he was making much better reads and throws than I have ever seen Skylar make.  That is my several beers down opinion.   As far as the nepotism thing goes.. you think Klein would have a QB coaching gig at a D1 school other than K-State?

I have no idea, I don't even know what a QB coach does so I can't speak to his qualifications or lack thereof. My guess is that there were probably other QB coaches who weren't Heisman finalists. I also know that if this was a case of nepotism, as you call it, I don't know why the coaches would have forced him to leave K-State after he was done as a grad assistant, like they did. Then he was retained by a whole new staff who didn't coach him.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 28, 2021, 02:22:19 PM »

I have no idea, I don't even know what a QB coach does so I can't speak to his qualifications or lack thereof. My guess is that there were probably other QB coaches who weren't Heisman finalists. I also know that if this was a case of nepotism, as you call it, I don't know why the coaches would have forced him to leave K-State after he was done as a grad assistant, like they did. Then he was retained by a whole new staff who didn't coach him.

Yeah my assumption is QB coaches are for coaching up the QBs.  Help them develop and get better, etc.  I just don't see that happening at K-State currently.  Klein also recruited Howard, so I am sure that is also in the job description.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 28, 2021, 03:13:05 PM »

Yeah my assumption is QB coaches are for coaching up the QBs.  Help them develop and get better, etc.  I just don't see that happening at K-State currently.  Klein also recruited Howard, so I am sure that is also in the job description.

You don't think Skylar Thompson is better than he was as a freshman and sophomore?

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 28, 2021, 04:00:48 PM »

You don't think Skylar Thompson is better than he was as a freshman and sophomore?

Well considering we have only had one full season with Skylar QB\Klein QB coach under Klieman, and he hasn't played much since, there is nothing to compare that too. I do know that in the first game he still had the same issues with the deep balls that he has always had.   I was more speaking toward Howard not appearing to be any better than he was last year, etc.  Time will tell with Rubley, as you have previously mentioned.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 28, 2021, 08:15:06 PM »
At this point I don't see how anyone who has actually watched KSU fball the past few seasons, and has a moderately functioning brain, can't see that Thompson is a vastly improved player from where he was in 2019, which was serviceable at worst.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 28, 2021, 08:40:56 PM »
At this point I don't see how anyone who has actually watched KSU fball the past few seasons, and has a moderately functioning brain, can't see that Thompson is a vastly improved player from where he was in 2019, which was serviceable at worst.

people see what they want to see

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 28, 2021, 08:54:13 PM »

Do you mean 2018?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 28, 2021, 10:18:33 PM »

Do you mean 2018?

I mean 2019.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 28, 2021, 11:31:09 PM »

Do you mean 2018?

I mean 2019.

His only real body of work is 2018 and 2019, he had more passing attempts (83) in 2017 than 2020 and 2021 combined.  If your argument is he got better from 2018 to 2019 there is some marginal evidence for that but after 2019 he has hardly played any games.