Author Topic: Pistols firing from ambush?  (Read 15633 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Pistols firing from ambush?
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2021, 09:50:48 PM »
I swear to rough ridin' God if y'all don't stop blaming the coaches for freshman back up quarterbacks looking like freshman backup quarterbacks. JESUS CHRIST.

Spencer Rattler is getting booed at home, D.J. Uiagalelei has the 99th best QBR in the country and y'all are firing coaches because our backups suck.

I swear to rough ridin' God.
Howard isn't a freshman.

Jaren Lewis is in year 3 of being in the program lol
What’s your point? He still hasn’t started a single game yet.

That he isn’t a freshman backup QB, he still looks lost despite having nearly 3 full years in the program.
He didn’t look lost to me. He looked like a guy without a ton of composure who didn’t want to try to fit the ball into tight windows after his INT. The announcers were talking about how much trouble our receivers had getting separation in the second half.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2021, 09:51:22 PM »
I guess this game answers the question whether the Lynch Mob is back or not.

They gave up 24 points and pitched a shutout in the second half, all without stubblefield and green.  The defense ain’t the problem.
Not the problem but still I feel like either the defense improves or we’re DOA without Sky. Barring a special teams TD or big defensive play it’s tough to imagine this offense ever getting over 30 points.

I agree we are completely mumped offensively without Skylar
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2021, 09:51:47 PM »
we really miss Skylar  :cry:

He’s pretty damn good
No he was average.  But we miss average.

He was better than average in 2019 and in the 4 games he's played since then.
Was he? Compared to what?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2021, 09:52:08 PM »
IMO we should have been all in on Lewis since Sky went down. At least he hasn’t shown his ceiling yet. Howard had plenty of opportunity to develop and just never seemed to take much of a step forward.
I think Lewis has shown his ceiling

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2021, 09:52:22 PM »
we really miss Skylar  :cry:

He’s pretty damn good
No he was average.  But we miss average.

He was better than average in 2019 and in the 4 games he's played since then.

Probably good enough to win today . . .

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2021, 09:52:35 PM »
IMO we should have been all in on Lewis since Sky went down. At least he hasn’t shown his ceiling yet. Howard had plenty of opportunity to develop and just never seemed to take much of a step forward.

Still think ruining Howard’s brain and gaining an extra blocker would have been the premier strategy.

I think this was the strategy
My plan B would be for us to have a backup like Sams who is never going to be a pro prospect but can run a lethal zone read / RPO playbook.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 25, 2021, 09:53:20 PM »
I think Lewis has shown his ceiling
With zero starts.

Someone needs to come get their mans.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 25, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »
I swear to rough ridin' God if y'all don't stop blaming the coaches for freshman back up quarterbacks looking like freshman backup quarterbacks. JESUS CHRIST.

Spencer Rattler is getting booed at home, D.J. Uiagalelei has the 99th best QBR in the country and y'all are firing coaches because our backups suck.

Howard isn't a freshman.

That he isn’t a freshman backup QB, he still looks lost despite having nearly 3 full years in the program.

Tell me the program in the country right now who has a scout team qb that would have looked competent not only playing but playing the first time on the road during a conference game in a sell out.

Considering the circumstance, he was absolutely serviceable.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2021, 09:53:56 PM »

Still think ruining Howard’s brain and gaining an extra blocker would have been the premier strategy.

My plan B would be for us to have a backup like Sams who is never going to be a pro prospect but can run a lethal zone read / RPO playbook.

:cry:
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2021, 09:55:58 PM »

We couldn't keep him here and that was before the transfer portal.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2021, 09:56:10 PM »
It's easy to find a excuse.  Every program can find one if they look hard enough. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2021, 09:56:15 PM »

Howard isn't a freshman.

Tell me the program in the country right now who has a scout team qb that would have looked competent not only playing but playing the first time on the road during a conference game in a sell out.

Neutral site but Norte Dame (a small catholic school) had a 3rd stringer look pretty decent today.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2021, 10:00:31 PM »
It's easy to find a excuse.  Every program can find one if they look hard enough.

Yet I'm still waiting for someone to give me one.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2021, 10:01:05 PM »
Tbh, not even mad.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2021, 10:02:25 PM »
 :popcorn:

enjoying this weird argument about which of our under performing backup quarterbacks is the least impressive . . .

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Pistols firing from ambush?
« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2021, 10:03:50 PM »

I get that. I’m just saying why not get an athlete who can play in packages and even take over a game when we’re desperate. I’m just sour on how our backups have played for as long as I can remember. It seems like we groom one kid to lead over the off-season and if that doesn’t work out we’re SOL. Klein and (to a lesser extent) Sams have to be the only non-season starting QBs in the last 15+ years who actually impressed while filling in.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2021, 10:04:05 PM »

Howard isn't a freshman.

Neutral site but Norte Dame (a small catholic school) had a 3rd stringer look pretty decent today.

lol, he was the backup and he was 6/8 for 81 yards. He had less completions, less yards, and a lower QBR than Will Howard did when he came in for Skylar against Texas Tech.

Y'all keep reaching

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2021, 10:08:19 PM »
Sucks baybay got hurt, we have so few playmakers as it is.  Hopefully we can get sky back for the clones as well.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2021, 10:10:36 PM »

I get that. I’m just saying why not get an athlete who can play in packages and even take over a game when we’re desperate. I’m just sour on how our backups have played for as long as I can remember. It seems like we groom one kid to lead over the off-season and if that doesn’t work out we’re SOL. Klein and (to a lesser extent Sams) have to be the only non-season starting QBs in the last 15+ years who actually impressed while filling in.

If it was something that was easy to do everyone would do it. I mean that's what we did with Will last year and the last week and a half. In both cases it worked, until it didn't. You're not going to be able to gimmick through an entire season.

We'll find a QB in the transfer portal next year, I have no doubts. I think Mr. Bean stinks but he's better than Will and Jaren. We can find someone at least as good as Mr. Bean who wants to share the backfield with Deuce. Klieman better hope like hell he can, because I don't think these three guys are it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2021, 10:12:36 PM »
BTW, the most pissed off person in America has to be Jacardia. He was going to get a rush on the ball that Will fumbled into the end zone.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 25, 2021, 10:12:40 PM »
I’ll admit I’m not expert, but it makes absolutely no sense to me that Rubley doesn’t get a snap in this game. If Howard is hurt, and Lewis can’t get a single first down, why not? I don’t care if he’s not ready, he won’t lose a redshirt, and that’s just extra experience in a game you for sure would lose without him anyway.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 25, 2021, 10:17:31 PM »
I’ll admit I’m not expert, but it makes absolutely no sense to me that Rubley doesn’t get a snap in this game. If Howard is hurt, and Lewis can’t get a single first down, why not? I don’t care if he’s not ready, he won’t lose a redshirt, and that’s just extra experience in a game you for sure would lose without him anyway.

The game was still in doubt after Deuce's touchdown. Also it isn't clear that Rubley is the next guy up. Last week Klieman was asked about the next QB after Lewis and he mentioned Max Marsh and Rubley together.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 25, 2021, 10:19:05 PM »
Was Howard really hurt or was that fake news?

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 25, 2021, 10:20:49 PM »

The game was still in doubt after Deuce's touchdown. Also it isn't clear that Rubley is the next guy up. Last week Klieman was asked about the next QB after Lewis and he mentioned Max Marsh and Rubley together.
It was in doubt right after, but not after we did nothing on O for 4 straight drives. I personally had no doubt we were losing with Lewis still in after that. And that’s fine if Rubley isn’t next. Throw Marsh in there. Anything else please.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 25, 2021, 10:39:10 PM »
Was Howard really hurt or was that fake news?

Good question.

Here is Klieman's quote from the postgame presser:

On Will Howard...
“He got hurt in the first half, and he couldn't go anymore in the first half. At halftime they did some things to work on
him. He tried to go in the second half and just couldn’t run the way he needed to run. Obviously in that first series,
we were able to get some quarterback run game going. When we lost Will, it took some of the play calling that
Coach Messingham was wanting to do away because that’s Will’s forte and not as much Jaren.”