Author Topic: What's your K-State FB outlook?  (Read 11968 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: What's your K-State FB outlook?
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2022, 07:26:05 PM »
I would prefer to win a bowl game but mainly view them as an exhibition game....but once the CFBP expands to 12 teams those games will matter.

WE MADE THE ELITE 8 IN 2022! Sounds alot better than we went 9-3 in the regular season, won the big12 and lost to Bama in the sugar bowl.

At the end of the day the only thing I care about is winning the Big12 (presented by Dr. Pepper). Anything after that is gravy.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2022, 07:44:57 PM »

For one, winning the Sugar Bowl would definitely have an impact on our ranking going into next year, which has an effect more generally on how “quality” wins are perceived next year in the Big 12, which increases our chances of getting into the cfp. I mean it’s basically how the SEC has positioned itself as routinely having a good shot of landing at least one if not two teams in the cfp.

This is a pretty good point I haven't considered. I don't think it would "definitely" have an impact on next year's preseason ranking but it might.

(Generally the SEC isn't anything special in NY6 bowls so I don't agree that's why they consistently have multiple cfp teams)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2022, 07:46:59 PM »

All bowl game results that aren't the cfp are meaningless
Agree but I do think getting to double digit W's is meaningful, which the bowl game can help with
Double digit wins aren't meaningful

They are to me. Like 10-3 is infinitely better than 9-4 and I will die on that hill

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2022, 08:12:34 PM »
thinking we were going to lose the next day, I took this screenshot

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What's your K-State FB outlook?
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2022, 08:13:51 PM »

For one, winning the Sugar Bowl would definitely have an impact on our ranking going into next year, which has an effect more generally on how “quality” wins are perceived next year in the Big 12, which increases our chances of getting into the cfp. I mean it’s basically how the SEC has positioned itself as routinely having a good shot of landing at least one if not two teams in the cfp.

This is a pretty good point I haven't considered. I don't think it would "definitely" have an impact on next year's preseason ranking but it might.

(Generally the SEC isn't anything special in NY6 bowls so I don't agree that's why they consistently have multiple cfp teams)
I don’t disagree on that last point, but I do think it’s a reason why number of 10+ win seasons matter. The more often you crush the regular season +postseason exhibition, the more likely your resume will get looked at just slightly better for the cfp than some upstart team with the same (or even 1 fewer) losses.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2022, 08:22:31 PM »

I don’t disagree on that last point, but I do think it’s a reason why number of 10+ win seasons matter. The more often you crush the regular season +postseason exhibition, the more likely your resume will get looked at just slightly better for the cfp than some upstart team with the same (or even 1 fewer) losses.

Any examples of this actually happening during the 4-team CFP era?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2022, 08:53:37 PM »
Winning the next 2 would be huge for this program. Here are some random stats for the almost no tradition nu-est big 12. Some relevent, some not so much, but still talking/recruiting points I guess.

Pre-computers/playoff National Championships
TCU and BYU

CFP Appearances
Cincy

Big 12 Championships
Baylor: 3
K-State: 2
OSU: 1
TCU: 1

Bowl Coalition/Bowl Alliance/BCS/NY6
WVU: 3 wins (4 appearances)
Baylor: 2 wins (5 appearances)
TCU: 2 wins (3 appearances)
OSU: 2 wins (3 appearances)
UCF: 2 wins (3 appearances)
K-State: 1 win (3 appearances)
Iowa St: 1 win (1 appearance)
KU: 1 win (1 appearance)
Cincy: 0 wins (4 appearances)
TTech: 0 wins (2 appearances)
BYU: 0 wins (0 appearances)
Houston: 0 wins (0 appearances)

10 or more win seasons
BYU: 18
TCU: 16
OSU: 10
Houston: 9
WVU: 8
K-State: 8
Cincy: 8
Baylor: 7
UCF: 7
TTech: 6
KU: 3
Iowa St: 0

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2022, 09:44:27 PM »

I think the year Baylor & TCU got locked out in favor of Ohio State is top of mind for most folks.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2022, 11:05:33 PM »
Disappointing end this last season, but yea I think it would have been better if Thompson would have been healthy. I'm not leaning one way or the other with Klieman.
Hot take
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2022, 11:23:45 PM »

All bowl game results that aren't the cfp are meaningless

The CFP is a whole 8 years old and we've never been there so it is of literally zero relevance when discussing the history of our program. When we do eventually reach the cfp it's going to be possible that a CFP season won't be in consideration for our best season. If we make the cfp without winning the conference then get bumped even after winning the first game, it doesn't mean crap.
Well yeah it changes when the cfp changes

The existence of the cfp, no matter how many teams, does not render the history before it meaningless. In fact post season football before the CFP was imminently more meaningful.

Yeah I know. I guess I meant in the CFP era bowl results are meaningless.

We'll find out soon enough, but I guarantee it is more fun winning the Cheeze-It Bowl than losing a first round game 24-13 in State College, PA in December.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2022, 12:57:16 AM »
I'm wondering if Big XII vs SEC is in the first round of the new CFP.  The big 10 vs ACC could also be a lock for the first round.  The reason being we're closer to SEC over big 10 and the same with ACC vs big 10.  The first round gets played at one team's home field.  I think it's all bowls after that.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2022, 05:07:32 AM »
naw, that's not how it's going to work, at all. It's all seed based.

Using this year's current CFP ratings the first round matches would be
Tulane @ Ohio State
Utah @ Alabama
K-State @ Tennessee
Clemson @ Penn State
Byes would go to
Michigan
Georgia
TCU
USC

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2022, 06:21:28 AM »

I think the year Baylor & TCU got locked out in favor of Ohio State is top of mind for most folks.

I think (consistent) 10 win seasons are important in that it helps* recruiting. Alabama is always preseason top 3 because, “they’re going to lose these players to the draft, but their previous 2-3 recruiting classes include the biggest, fastest kids to prevent any drop off”.

That’s where I think losing OU and Texas hurt the most, we’re not going to get credit for beating teams that are perceived as worse simply because recruiting services said this 17 year old is better than another one. Nobody (espn pundits) seems to care what the stats say.

*10 wins are great, but it’s gonna take more Porsches.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2022, 06:53:17 AM »

Ohio State didn't win a bowl game the previous 3 seasons!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2022, 06:55:33 AM »

Ohio State didn't win a bowl game the previous 3 seasons!
Because 12-win regular seasons might matter, 10-4 seasons don't

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2022, 09:45:23 AM »
Beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl would matter to me. That would be a lot of fun. If we end up with Tennessee, that would also be fun, but not as fun (or important).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2022, 10:26:59 AM »
Beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl would matter to me. That would be a lot of fun. If we end up with Tennessee, that would also be fun, but not as fun (or important).

I agree on the fun but disagree on the importance. I was preemptively talking crap to a Bama fan I work with and this was his response:

Alabama has a strong history of giving zero shits about non national title games so KSU may have a chance

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2022, 10:27:27 AM »
Like, kicking the crap out of LSU was arguably the most fun bowl game of all time. did it matter though? nah

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2022, 10:43:15 AM »
normally my immediate response would be that i'd prefer a dr. pepper over a sugar bowl.

but man a win over bama/tennessee/lsu this year would be hilarious and so entertaining and i would talk crap for years.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2022, 10:45:50 AM »
K-State beating a #5 ranked, 10-2 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl would have incredible significance for our program and the history of K-State football.

Claiming it doesn't matter with the opinion of an Alabama fan is completely irrelevant.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2022, 10:47:39 AM »
Bowl games now are as significant as the players and coaches who participate in the game or not make them.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2022, 10:52:05 AM »
this is just my personal ranking

1. cfp
2. conf champ
3. 10 win season

4. victory in some specific bowl

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2022, 11:06:22 AM »
Like, kicking the crap out of LSU was arguably the most fun bowl game of all time. did it matter though? nah

Did it matter to this year's ranking? I think it certainly helped with some of the preseason perception that had a lot of people calling us a dark horse to win the Big 12, but otherwise I don't think it did much. I think this year's bowl game matters more, though, because we have a much better team, playing in a bowl game against a program that has won most of the recent national championships. We will be ranked pretty high next season if we win our next 2 games, and barely ranked at all if we lose them both.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2022, 11:21:11 AM »
this is just my personal ranking

1. cfp
2. conf champ
3. 10 win season

4. victory in some specific bowl
Agree with this. I will/have been nervous for every significant game. Regardless whether we win this weekend though, I won’t be nervous at all about the Sugar Bowl. That will just be fun.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2022, 11:23:18 AM »

I agree on the fun but disagree on the importance. I was preemptively talking crap to a Bama fan I work with and this was his response:

Alabama has a strong history of giving zero shits about non national title games so KSU may have a chance
You should tell him it’s too bad then that this is the only way we get to play them since Bama keeps ducking us in the regular season.