Author Topic: What's your K-State FB outlook?  (Read 11908 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: What's your K-State FB outlook?
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2022, 02:05:16 PM »
It was very sad when we lost to Baylor. The truth of the matter is K-State was a top ten team in 12 but wouldn't have won a 12 team playoff format or anything. Still sucked.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2022, 02:09:01 PM »
the 2012 texas game has to be one of Bill's best coaching jobs

Offline archmike

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »
Would you look at that!  Nebraska ranked and rolling in at 14 & 16

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2022, 02:38:17 PM »
Tell me which Cat football seasons you will rank ahead of this season after the Cats win their next two games and claim the Dr  Pepper + Sugar Bowl.

If the cats win the next 2 they’d likely finish in the top 7(6th?)which I think would be tie for the best end of year ranking ever. For me that puts this team up there with the best for me (I didn’t become a fan until tue early 00s though)

2012 was an insane amount of fun w national title hopes late into the season. Didn’t have that this year, but this team has the potential to finish a lot stronger than that team did.

lets not forget about the '97 cats. That team was one hot POA that just happened to have the misforunte of being in the same division with the team that won the national championship

1997 ended on a great note, 1998 was a ton of fun during the regular season but the two post-season losses take a lot of the shine off, 2012 was a lot of fun during the regular season but the way it ended was a real dud.

I'm gonna say that this will be the best season if school history if the Cats find a way to win out.

this might just be a tough crowd. '97 we went 11-1, granted the loss @NU was a blowout and it happened the first week of October, but for the 11 games we won the closest was 13-2, every other game we won by 3+ scores, just absolute domination.

Maybe the difference is the only victory over a ranked team we had that year was #14 aTm, and then the bowl game against #14 Syracuse. That aTm game was so fun, our seats were right by the visitor section and their fans were just so excited to see Dat Nguyen mop the floor w/ us and that dude had like maybe 1 TFL and otherwise didn't do jack crap.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2022, 02:41:12 PM »
i wasn't even alive in 1997 but i imagine the LB neck rolls were super cool or whatever

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2022, 02:43:24 PM »
Tell me which Cat football seasons you will rank ahead of this season after the Cats win their next two games and claim the Dr  Pepper + Sugar Bowl.

If the cats win the next 2 they’d likely finish in the top 7(6th?)which I think would be tie for the best end of year ranking ever. For me that puts this team up there with the best for me (I didn’t become a fan until tue early 00s though)

2012 was an insane amount of fun w national title hopes late into the season. Didn’t have that this year, but this team has the potential to finish a lot stronger than that team did.

lets not forget about the '97 cats. That team was one hot POA that just happened to have the misforunte of being in the same division with the team that won the national championship

1997 ended on a great note, 1998 was a ton of fun during the regular season but the two post-season losses take a lot of the shine off, 2012 was a lot of fun during the regular season but the way it ended was a real dud.

I'm gonna say that this will be the best season if school history if the Cats find a way to win out.

this might just be a tough crowd. '97 we went 11-1, granted the loss @NU was a blowout and it happened the first week of October, but for the 11 games we won the closest was 13-2, every other game we won by 3+ scores, just absolute domination.

Maybe the difference is the only victory over a ranked team we had that year was #14 aTm, and then the bowl game against #14 Syracuse. That aTm game was so fun, our seats were right by the visitor section and their fans were just so excited to see Dat Nguyen mop the floor w/ us and that dude had like maybe 1 TFL and otherwise didn't do jack crap.
The Cats kicked a tremendous amount of ass that season. 17 year old me got to watch the KU game in the KSU student section with my cool older cousins and it cemented my decision to go to school at K-State.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2022, 02:52:21 PM »
i wasn't even alive in 1997 but i imagine the LB neck rolls were super cool or whatever

hunchback-chic, yes very much a thing

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2022, 02:57:33 PM »
Even if we win the next two (which would be awesome with beating an undefeated TCU and maybe Bama) it's hard to place this above 2012 let along some of the 97/98 times. We just stumbled enough at certain points in the season to make it go from "good" to "holy crap we're serious national contenders"

That being said, I'll be extremely pleased with an 11-3 season, and even a 10-4 would be looked back upon fondly, especially if we follow up with a great year next year
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2022, 03:02:02 PM »

Nobody out-neckrolled our linebackers and fullbacks in those days.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2022, 03:03:39 PM »

wouldn't that quasi-reduce your modo-lity though?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2022, 03:05:48 PM »
Even if we win the next two (which would be awesome with beating an undefeated TCU and maybe Bama) it's hard to place this above 2012 let along some of the 97/98 times. We just stumbled enough at certain points in the season to make it go from "good" to "holy crap we're serious national contenders"

That being said, I'll be extremely pleased with an 11-3 season, and even a 10-4 would be looked back upon fondly, especially if we follow up with a great year next year

If we win the next 2, it will be the best season in the history of K-State football.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2022, 03:13:44 PM »
:lol:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2022, 03:19:55 PM »

If we win the next 2, it will be the best season in the history of K-State football.
Even if true, still no bcs wins :(

Jayhawks will throw that in our stupid faces
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2022, 03:24:12 PM »

wouldn't that quasi-reduce your modo-lity though?

scheuermann, i suppose it would.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2022, 06:34:10 PM »

Pretty damn easily too. 11 wins, top 5 finish, conference champions, sugar bowl champions. We've never even won the conference and a bowl game the same year.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2022, 06:40:29 PM »
All bowl game results that aren't the cfp are meaningless

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2022, 06:55:31 PM »
Agree but I do think getting to double digit W's is meaningful, which the bowl game can help with

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2022, 06:57:50 PM »

The CFP is a whole 8 years old and we've never been there so it is of literally zero relevance when discussing the history of our program. When we do eventually reach the cfp it's going to be possible that a CFP season won't be in consideration for our best season. If we make the cfp without winning the conference then get bumped even after winning the first game, it doesn't mean crap.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2022, 07:04:44 PM »

The CFP is a whole 8 years old and we've never been there so it is of literally zero relevance when discussing the history of our program. When we do eventually reach the cfp it's going to be possible that a CFP season won't be in consideration for our best season. If we make the cfp without winning the conference then get bumped even after winning the first game, it doesn't mean crap.
Well yeah it changes when the cfp changes

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2022, 07:05:08 PM »
Agree but I do think getting to double digit W's is meaningful, which the bowl game can help with
Double digit wins aren't meaningful

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2022, 07:07:51 PM »
Winning bowl games is fun and makes me happy as a Cat fan. I will listen to your argument about the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl or Liberty Bowl or Pinstripe Bowl being meaningless. Winning a NY6 level bowl games is not meaningless and would be a lot of fun and great exposure for the program.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2022, 07:12:00 PM »

The existence of the cfp, no matter how many teams, does not render the history before it meaningless. In fact post season football before the CFP was imminently more meaningful.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2022, 07:12:32 PM »

Winning bowl games is fun and makes me happy as a Cat fan. I will listen to your argument about the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl or Liberty Bowl or Pinstripe Bowl being meaningless. Winning a NY6 level bowl games is not meaningless and would be a lot of fun and great exposure for the program.

Losing NY6 games is a lot of fun and great exposure. You are right it is obviously more fun to win but for the most part the games' results have very little bearing on the current or future health of the program.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2022, 07:13:52 PM »

The existence of the cfp, no matter how many teams, does not render the history before it meaningless. In fact post season football before the CFP was imminently more meaningful.

Yeah I know. I guess I meant in the CFP era bowl results are meaningless.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2022, 07:24:55 PM »
Double digit wins aren't meaningful
No one is going to argue that any non-cfp bowl game is an exhibition. But acting like all exhibition games are the same level of meaningless is just trying too hard to be edgy.

For one, winning the Sugar Bowl would definitely have an impact on our ranking going into next year, which has an effect more generally on how “quality” wins are perceived next year in the Big 12, which increases our chances of getting into the cfp. I mean it’s basically how the SEC has positioned itself as routinely having a good shot of landing at least one if not two teams in the cfp.