Author Topic: Portal Kombat  (Read 160537 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Portal Kombat
« Reply #1375 on: April 26, 2023, 12:05:51 PM »
IMO there has been way too much talk about this.  Literally all of these players leaving are shitty.  He can fill the holes with equally shitty or slightly better players in the portal no problem.

They have almost 50 players to replace. That's an incredibly tough task, especially as a staff that largely has never done it at this level before.

They have 87 players listed on the roster on the website. This includes incoming 2023 HS signees.  Are you saying that only 35 of the players listed on the roster are scholarship players?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 26, 2023, 12:08:30 PM »
IMO there has been way too much talk about this.  Literally all of these players leaving are shitty.  He can fill the holes with equally shitty or slightly better players in the portal no problem.

They have almost 50 players to replace. That's an incredibly tough task, especially as a staff that largely has never done it at this level before.

They have 87 players listed on the roster on the website. This includes incoming 2023 HS signees.  Are you saying that only 35 of the players listed on the roster are scholarship players?

according to this there are 20 scholarship players on the roster.

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1651254918169206788

not sure how many signees they have not yet on campus but if they had 20 it wouldn't be too far off.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 26, 2023, 12:08:35 PM »

or maybe they haven't updated their website since all the transfers the last 2 days?

I don't know honestly, I don't follow CU football, I'm just restating things I've seen written in articles/online.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 26, 2023, 12:17:53 PM »
Dylan will get plenty of playing time.  I just hope he doesn't get killed from not having an offensive line. 

What’s with stuff about the OL?  It isn’t rooted in any facts.

Depth, not just talent.  One starter gone and walk-on Billy Bob steps in and all of a sudden the OL is trash and skill players get blown up on the reg. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 26, 2023, 12:22:47 PM »

or maybe they haven't updated their website since all the transfers the last 2 days?

I don't know honestly, I don't follow CU football, I'm just restating things I've seen written in articles/online.

Prime is so petty he won’t release film for players transferring out of the program, seems like he’s not going to let their profile linger on the website.  Could be a backlog of 40 guys to scrub from the website though I guess.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: April 26, 2023, 12:26:10 PM »
Dylan will get plenty of playing time.  I just hope he doesn't get killed from not having an offensive line. 

Depth, not just talent.  One starter gone and walk-on Billy Bob steps in and all of a sudden the OL is trash and skill players get blown up on the reg. 

We just won a big 12 championship with 7 playable OL.   I bet he has at least 6 that fit that description on the roster right now.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: April 26, 2023, 12:29:49 PM »

Prime is so petty he won’t release film for players transferring out of the program, seems like he’s not going to let their profile linger on the website.  Could be a backlog of 40 guys to scrub from the website though I guess.

again, these aren't my numbers. They're coming from The Athletic, who I assume has a better idea of what's going on at CU than a bunch of goEMAW bros

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: April 26, 2023, 01:08:11 PM »
In a separate interview, the Athletic's reporter said CU has lost about 70 scholarship players since Primetime took over. At this point, they've filled about 50 of those slots through transfers, incoming freshmen, etc. (again, according to the reporter). So, between now and the start of the season, they'd need to find about 20 scholarship players to get back to the max.

Being down 20ish scholarship players is a pretty big number, but is also probably similar to what frontbutt charlie and other KU coaches faced during their series of rebuilds.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 26, 2023, 01:25:48 PM »
In a separate interview, the Athletic's reporter said CU has lost about 70 scholarship players since Primetime took over. At this point, they've filled about 50 of those slots through transfers, incoming freshmen, etc. (again, according to the reporter). So, between now and the start of the season, they'd need to find about 20 scholarship players to get back to the max.

Being down 20ish scholarship players is a pretty big number, but is also probably similar to what frontbutt charlie and other KU coaches faced during their series of rebuilds.

ok, so not as bad as I had thought. Still, in one offseason replacing 70 players is insane. Having 20 open slots going into May is a pretty daunting task.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: April 26, 2023, 05:24:42 PM »
I can't get down with the cowboy hat.

lol, it's the one thing he's done that I love, he looks amazing. That jacket is enormous levels of look at me louie though, particularly for someone likely preaching about we versus me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 26, 2023, 05:34:53 PM »

I don't know jack crap about football, almost nothing. What I do know is that every good line in the history of ever has continuity. We'll see if the era of transfer portal changes this but putting together a line with all spare parts seems like a terrible idea. In addition to this, even if he puts together an all star starting lineup of offensive linemen, you have to acknowledge he's going to have a depth issue at the unit that's the most oft injured.

I want you to put a pin in this, because I'm as sure as their line being not just a small weakness but a huge one, as I was that Patrick Mahomes was going to be a great NFL pro when I saw him at BSFS in 2016.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 26, 2023, 05:45:45 PM »

We just won a big 12 championship with 7 playable OL.   I bet he has at least 6 that fit that description on the roster right now.

What are you doing? You know full well we only played 8 because we didn't need to play more. There were young guys ready to see the field that were and continue to be rooted behind very good veteran players.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 26, 2023, 05:52:56 PM »

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1651257079720493057

Sorry, 70(!!!) players. I don't follow the portal at all, but I find it hard to believe they're going to be able to find 70 players that are better than the ones they lost. They'll be able to upgrade at a few positions, but they have to essentially teach an entirely new team how to play together.

Or maybe it's just the kind of made-for-TV drama in which Prime Time thrives!  :surprised:

I get this is a minority opinion, but I think if Sanders sticks around, he will improve Colorado within a few years.   I'd be excited if I were a Colorado fan; I mean they have very little to lose. . . Colorado football has had exactly one winning season in the last 16 years* and are coming off a 1-11 record last year.   They'll probably have some depth issues and whole lot of losses this year, but it will likely be an improvement

*did not count 6 game covid season
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 05:56:08 PM by Hurricane Cat »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 26, 2023, 06:01:49 PM »

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1651257079720493057

Sorry, 70(!!!) players. I don't follow the portal at all, but I find it hard to believe they're going to be able to find 70 players that are better than the ones they lost. They'll be able to upgrade at a few positions, but they have to essentially teach an entirely new team how to play together.

Or maybe it's just the kind of made-for-TV drama in which Prime Time thrives!  :surprised:

I get this is a minority opinion, but I think if Sanders sticks around, he will improve Colorado within a few years.   I'd be excited if I were a Colorado fan; I mean they have very little to lose. . . Colorado football has had exactly one winning season in the last 16 years* and are coming off a 1-11 record last year.   They'll probably have some depth issues and whole lot of losses this year, but it will likely be an improvement

Obviously, I'm not down with Sanders or what he's doing but I do agree with you. This was a home run hire for them when it would have been a disaster at most P5 schools. This is a low risk, high reward hire for them.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 26, 2023, 06:17:05 PM »

What are you doing? You know full well we only played 8 because we didn't need to play more. There were young guys ready to see the field that were and continue to be rooted behind very good veteran players.

Honestly our starting center was nearly unplayable.  Leingang was the only reserve that the coaches trusted once Panzer was inserted for Portier. If we hadn’t convinced 2 super seniors and a likely 2nd round draft pick to come back, our line would be in shambles for 2023.  I think the three 2022 guys they signed will be good eventually but they would have gotten murdered last year.   

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 26, 2023, 06:53:10 PM »
Didn’t Carver Willis play a few series when we had Olineman down due to injury?  I remember Cooper going down and someone filling in (OU maybe?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 26, 2023, 06:53:24 PM »

Honestly our starting center was nearly unplayable.  Leingang was the only reserve that the coaches trusted once Panzer was inserted for Portier. If we hadn’t convinced 2 super seniors and a likely 2nd round draft pick to come back, our line would be in shambles for 2023.  I think the three 2022 guys they signed will be good eventually but they would have gotten murdered last year.

Yeah, probably wouldn't have been great, despite some of the young guys having good pedigree and some experience in the program, which is executive why Colorado's line is going to be a rough ridin' disaster with there spare parts learning the system and each other on the fly.

common ground :cheers:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 26, 2023, 06:55:49 PM »
Didn’t Carver Willis play a few series when we had Olineman down due to injury?  I remember Cooper going down and someone filling in (OU maybe?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He played in 7 games. ww is on crack.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 26, 2023, 07:39:23 PM »
Del Forge played in 14 games and a freshman played over him at RG.  No way CU has a worse OL than KU did last year and they averaged 35 a game.  Having a crap ton of offensive weapons can overcome mediocre line play.  They will use their playmakers in space and utilize Sanders running ability to help out the OL.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 26, 2023, 07:40:58 PM »
Del Forge played in 14 games and a freshman played over him at RG.  No way CU has a worse OL than KU did last year and they averaged 35 a game.  Having a crap ton of offensive weapons can overcome mediocre line play.  They will use their playmakers in space and utilize Sanders running ability to help out the OL.

KU's OL is better than you're giving it credit for, tbh.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: April 26, 2023, 08:27:49 PM »

Yeah agreed, KU put together a pretty nice line last year.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 26, 2023, 08:44:51 PM »

They had one player who graded out in the top 150 in PFF’s OL Power Rankings for 2022. CU’s 2022 squad that went 1-11 had two.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 26, 2023, 09:08:17 PM »

They had one player who graded out in the top 150 in PFF’s OL Power Rankings for 2022. CU’s 2022 squad that went 1-11 had two.

Well let me tell you WHAT. I use something that has fallen out of fashion with the kids, and we like to call that something the EYE TEST.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 26, 2023, 09:28:46 PM »
I mean CU could still have a worse o-line than KU if it's just based on that completely random criteria

And no, I don't care to research the matter any further
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:26:58 AM by michigancat »

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 27, 2023, 09:39:33 AM »

This is the sticking point for me. I don't think he'll ever have major success there, because if he shows serious improvement in even 2 years, I think a Florida school or SEC team throws absurd money at him knowing he could completely flip a roster and change a culture quickly. He's bitched non stop about the weather in Boulder since getting there.

Also, they completely removed the 25 man scholarship per year rule due to Covid. And I know it'll never be back to that number with the immediate transfer rules now, but has there been any mention of going back to anything like that? or gone forever?