Author Topic: The Biden (interim) Dictator  (Read 303338 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #2175 on: June 18, 2021, 10:39:11 PM »
the market is efficient fellas and fellettes
How much student loans did you pay for, bud?

Mine are around $50k and are just recently paid off. My wife is around $150k. We're paying hers off but it's like 1% so we aren't rushing it. We still have around $40k left.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: June 18, 2021, 11:25:33 PM »
the market is efficient fellas and fellettes
How much student loans did you pay for, bud?

Mine are around $50k and are just recently paid off. My wife is around $150k. We're paying hers off but it's like 1% so we aren't rushing it. We still have around $40k left.
Damn, respect!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: June 19, 2021, 07:15:57 AM »
My only real beef is that college prices have close to doubled since I graduated about 10 years ago.  I’m not sure if that’s “market efficiency” so much as it is colleges recognizing that Uncle Sam is an unlimited money faucet.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: June 19, 2021, 07:49:08 AM »
My only real beef is that college prices have close to doubled since I graduated about 10 years ago.  I’m not sure if that’s “market efficiency” so much as it is colleges recognizing that Uncle Sam is an unlimited money faucet.

then don't go if the cost is stupid. that's the great thing, there are shitloads of other options. shaking your fist at them for any reason is silly.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: June 19, 2021, 09:07:30 AM »

then don't go if the cost is stupid. that's the great thing, there are shitloads of other options. shaking your fist at them for any reason is silly.
It’s not that simple. First like I said, the “they know what they’re getting into” is the same argument used by payday lenders and the like. Maybe you agree with them but most don’t.

Second, especially in something like the legal field there is crazy high competition for culturally diverse talent because the supply coming out of law school isn’t that high. I’m sure that’s true for other white collar jobs as well.

The market wants those kids to get higher education, so telling people without an economic safety net that they’re probably better off going into trade school is not really the market having spoken.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2180 on: June 19, 2021, 09:32:30 AM »
It's still $15K a year for trade school. crap is expensive as well.

I paid $300 a semester at KSU. Pretty sure that included football and basketball season tickets.

What else has increased at that rate since 1989?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #2181 on: June 19, 2021, 09:39:30 AM »
It’s easy to say if it’s too expensive then just don’t go. But say goodbye to public education/social workers/counselors/therapists etc

Shitty paying professions that my anecdotal evidence suggests is populated by lower middle class kids that are being squeezed the most by price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #2182 on: June 19, 2021, 10:49:30 AM »
The one thing that is an indisputable fact is that rough ridin' boomers had their college education incredibly subsidized and you have to remind them of that constantly because they forget, especially when they are talking about “working through college” to pay for it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: June 19, 2021, 01:18:54 PM »

It’s not that simple. First like I said, the “they know what they’re getting into” is the same argument used by payday lenders and the like. Maybe you agree with them but most don’t.

Second, especially in something like the legal field there is crazy high competition for culturally diverse talent because the supply coming out of law school isn’t that high. I’m sure that’s true for other white collar jobs as well.

The market wants those kids to get higher education, so telling people without an economic safety net that they’re probably better off going into trade school is not really the market having spoken.
That’s literally the market speaking

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: June 19, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »
It’s evidence that the market is broken. Pretty much any social inequality could be justified by laissez faire because the whole point is the people with money and power are the ones the market is designed to most efficiently serve.

Letting “the market” determine education is a pretty efficient way to keep the underprivileged from becoming privileged, even if there exists a strong demand for the opposite.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: June 19, 2021, 02:08:29 PM »
Letting “the market” determine education is a pretty efficient way to keep the underprivileged from becoming privileged, even if there exists a strong demand for the opposite.

i'm confused.  you're still the same poster that wanted banks to decide how likely any given prospective college student is to repay a student loan?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: June 19, 2021, 02:27:13 PM »
The one thing that is an indisputable fact is that rough ridin' boomers had their college education incredibly subsidized and you have to remind them of that constantly because they forget, especially when they are talking about “working through college” to pay for it.
My god, YES!

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: June 19, 2021, 02:27:35 PM »

i'm confused.  you're still the same poster that wanted banks to decide how likely any given prospective college student is to repay a student loan?
Was that implicit in something else I said? I think the current education system incentivizes colleges to rapidly increase tuition costs beyond what they would if there wasn’t a subsidized lender willing to foot whatever the cost is. That’s my biggest issue.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: June 19, 2021, 02:34:59 PM »
you said you agreed with rage's opinion that student loans should be dischargeable through bankruptcy and banks should bear some risk.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: June 19, 2021, 02:36:30 PM »
My god, YES!

:confused:
Have you changed your opinion on this? You have dozens of posts making the same "I had 15 jobs in college and I'm paying for my loans, why can't everyone else?"

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: June 19, 2021, 03:20:07 PM »
My god, YES!

:confused:
Have you changed your opinion on this? You have dozens of posts making the same "I had 15 jobs in college and I'm paying for my loans, why can't everyone else?"
What am I missing here? Boomers had it easier paying for college at like 2K a semester. He’s making fun of them, for them ruining our future economic opportunities & acting like complete chodes for saying millennials are weak, lack work ethic, etc. :dunno: I know they never had to think about $13K a year for college and that’s without room and board, food, etc.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: June 19, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »
you said you agreed with rage's opinion that student loans should be dischargeable through bankruptcy and banks should bear some risk.
The main part I was agreeing with was his take that allowing an 18 year old to accrue $100k in debt without the ability to discharge it in bankruptcy is unfair.

Fundamentally I think the system is broken. I think it would be an improvement to put some risk on the lenders, but in a way that incentivizes them to write fewer blank checks, not to decide who they are going to write blank checks for.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: June 19, 2021, 03:37:58 PM »
The main part I was agreeing with was his take that allowing an 18 year old to accrue $100k in debt without the ability to discharge it in bankruptcy is unfair.

Fundamentally I think the system is broken. I think it would be an improvement to put some risk on the lenders, but in a way that incentivizes them to write fewer blank checks, not to decide who they are going to write blank checks for.
It’s completely broken. I’m honestly shocked some of the die hard lib’s down here are acting like it’s fine. It’s kinda weird tbh.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: June 19, 2021, 03:49:07 PM »
I think it would be an improvement to put some risk on the lenders, but in a way that incentivizes them to write fewer blank checks, not to decide who they are going to write blank checks for.

banks charge money for assuming risk, that's the business they're in.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: June 19, 2021, 03:58:29 PM »
I think it would be an improvement to put some risk on the lenders, but in a way that incentivizes them to write fewer blank checks, not to decide who they are going to write blank checks for.

banks charge money for assuming risk, that's the business they're in.
And profit from it

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: June 19, 2021, 04:16:00 PM »

Who exactly do you think the lenders are here?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: June 19, 2021, 04:17:24 PM »
SYS: open the borders and charge the crap out of college! #Weird
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 04:32:20 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: June 19, 2021, 04:39:46 PM »
SYS: open the borders and charge the crap out o college! #Weird

i'm not arguing for charging more for college.  i'm arguing that the central problem is the cost, not the system in place for loaning money to people faced with that cost.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: June 19, 2021, 05:03:33 PM »
SYS: open the borders and charge the crap out o college! #Weird

i'm not arguing for charging more for college.  i'm arguing that the central problem is the cost, not the system in place for loaning money to people faced with that cost.
And yet you seem to be missing my point that our lending programs have been responsible for driving that cost up?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: June 19, 2021, 05:17:15 PM »
And yet you seem to be missing my point that our lending programs have been responsible for driving that cost up?

i can see the logic (education expands to capture funds available), but i'm not sure that is a primary driver of education inflation.

just guessing, but my guess is that decline in state funding, change in pricing models (discounted prices for many more than previous), expansion of services and administrative bloat probably account for more of the change.