Author Topic: The Biden (interim) Dictator  (Read 313765 times)

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #1400 on: March 12, 2021, 03:00:12 PM »
A mileage tax that replaced the gas tax would be something like $0.015 per mile for a typical 4 door sedan, fwiw.

They don’t actually verify your mileage though

It'd be easy to verify in Texas because you have to get your car inspected every year and the mileage is recorded at that time.

Damn, what a pain in the ass.  No freedoms in tx

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: March 12, 2021, 03:57:46 PM »
A mileage tax that replaced the gas tax would be something like $0.015 per mile for a typical 4 door sedan, fwiw.

It'd be easy to verify in Texas because you have to get your car inspected every year and the mileage is recorded at that time.

It is a giant pain in the ass. Limits the number of beaters on the road though. 

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: March 12, 2021, 04:31:56 PM »
The libertarians missed something because their way is supposed to be cheaper and more efficient than the government way.

The turnpike in Kansas between Topeka and Kansas City is in a lot better shape than other parts of I-70.

Do current fuel taxes pay for all newly built roads and maintenance/replacement?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: March 12, 2021, 05:00:12 PM »
The libertarians missed something because their way is supposed to be cheaper and more efficient than the government way.

The turnpike in Kansas between Topeka and Kansas City is in a lot better shape than other parts of I-70.

Do current fuel taxes pay for all newly built roads and maintenance/replacement?

The fuel tax only covers about 1/4 of total KDOT funds. Kansas fuel tax is about $0.24 per gallon. So a vehicle averaging 30 mpg pays a tax (to Kansas) of about $0.008 per mile. The state+federal gas tax is closer to $0.014. The Kansas Turnpike costs about $0.06 per mile.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: March 12, 2021, 05:17:36 PM »

The fuel tax only covers about 1/4 of total KDOT funds. Kansas fuel tax is about $0.24 per gallon. So a vehicle averaging 30 mpg pays a tax (to Kansas) of about $0.008 per mile. The state+federal gas tax is closer to $0.014. The Kansas Turnpike costs about $0.06 per mile.

With KTAG, the turnpike cost is more like $0.048 after you get your KTAG discount.  If you're driving a vehicle that averages 20 MPG that works out to $0.012 per mile for a quarter of KDOT funds.  To fully fund KDOT, you would need $0.048 per mile.  To fund all of the roads then you also need at least the $0.014 per mile from the federal fuel tax plus whatever federal highway spending isn't covered by fuel taxes.  It seems like the turnpike is an ok deal in that light

Even the 30 MPG car is a total of $0.032 per mile for KDOT plus the federal $0.014.  That's a total of $0.046 per mile plus whatever federal spending isn't covered by fuel taxes.

My main concern with the registration fees funding the roads vs tolls or fuel taxes is how out-of-state semis going to be charged for their use of highways.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: March 12, 2021, 06:01:43 PM »

yeah well we tried that Brownback thing and it sucked

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: March 12, 2021, 08:04:09 PM »

With KTAG, the turnpike cost is more like $0.048 after you get your KTAG discount.  If you're driving a vehicle that averages 20 MPG that works out to $0.012 per mile for a quarter of KDOT funds.  To fully fund KDOT, you would need $0.048 per mile.  To fund all of the roads then you also need at least the $0.014 per mile from the federal fuel tax plus whatever federal highway spending isn't covered by fuel taxes.  It seems like the turnpike is an ok deal in that light

Even the 30 MPG car is a total of $0.032 per mile for KDOT plus the federal $0.014.  That's a total of $0.046 per mile plus whatever federal spending isn't covered by fuel taxes.

My main concern with the registration fees funding the roads vs tolls or fuel taxes is how out-of-state semis going to be charged for their use of highways.

I would argue that a 20 mph vehicle probably weighs about twice as much as most 30 mpg vehicles and should pay a higher rate. The biggest issue with the privatization idea is that rural roads will never be feasible for a private organization to maintain. There is always going to be some need for a government entity to collect taxes in some form so that public access can be maintained statewide. So you end up paying the toll, plus a higher tax on tags, income, and property to cover that overhead. Electric vehicles are starting to get heavier, and there needs to be a way for people who drive them to pay their share of the road maintenance cost. Otherwise, the cost will continue to shift to personal property. If you favor use taxes against property taxes, you should favor shifting the tax on gasoline to a tax on mileage.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: March 12, 2021, 08:12:36 PM »

I would argue that a 20 mph vehicle probably weighs about twice as much as most 30 mpg vehicles and should pay a higher rate. The biggest issue with the privatization idea is that rural roads will never be feasible for a private organization to maintain. There is always going to be some need for a government entity to collect taxes in some form so that public access can be maintained statewide. So you end up paying the toll, plus a higher tax on tags, income, and property to cover that overhead. Electric vehicles are starting to get heavier, and there needs to be a way for people who drive them to pay their share of the road maintenance cost. Otherwise, the cost will continue to shift to personal property. If you favor use taxes against property taxes, you should favor shifting the tax on gasoline to a tax on mileage.

I would definitely favor use taxes over property taxes and gas taxes and agree that you need to have some collections for rural roads and smaller highways.  I would favor tolling the interstates in combination with the use taxes in order to force out of state semis to pay for their use of the highways.  We already have the overhead for the KTA, so it could be rolled into that.

If there is a way to force out of state semis for their use of the roads with a use tax, then I would be pretty indifferent between that and tolling.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: March 12, 2021, 08:24:27 PM »
Raising rates on trucking just makes delivery more expensive and that gets passed on to every consumer. I get that there is a philosophy at work here, but I think just making a big gas tax in the short term would be smartest for a lot of reasons.  Once electrics are more than a fringe, you deal with that, but the faster we transition the better.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: March 12, 2021, 08:48:56 PM »
Raising rates on trucking just makes delivery more expensive and that gets passed on to every consumer. I get that there is a philosophy at work here, but I think just making a big gas tax in the short term would be smartest for a lot of reasons.  Once electrics are more than a fringe, you deal with that, but the faster we transition the better.

So people who consume more have to pay more?  I think we may be onto something here.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: March 12, 2021, 08:54:07 PM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: March 12, 2021, 09:04:05 PM »

So people who consume more have to pay more?  I think we may be onto something here.

Again, I don't have a super strong opinion on use tax or no, but I lean toward a use tax of some kind.  I think we do need to spend more on infrastructure and also that we should strongly encourage EV and discourage gas consumption, so a gas tax makes the most sense to me, along with some more incentives for people to buy EVs.

I think usage fees are overall fine, but often times libertarians get excited about them because they really just want to privatize the roads. I am very opposed to selling off public assets to private companies like Chicago just did and would oppose KTA going that route

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: March 12, 2021, 09:13:55 PM »
If you favor use taxes against property taxes, you should favor shifting the tax on gasoline to a tax on mileage.

a mileage tax is clunky and cumbersome.  all vehicles use fuel of some sort, just tax the fuel, be it electricity, hydrogen, ethanol, diesel, gasoline or whatever.

agree with katkid that for now, it is more important to incentivize uptake of ev's than precisely account for each vehicle's use, so no hurry to implement taxes on alternative fuels.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: March 12, 2021, 09:24:16 PM »
I also should be clear that I am just talking about what we should do if we didn't live in a slowly failing empire where almost nothing can ever change because the politics of a gas tax are probably still bad, although not nearly as bad as 10 years ago.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: March 12, 2021, 09:29:31 PM »
ty for your contribution nihilist kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: March 12, 2021, 11:09:05 PM »
I also should be clear that I am just talking about what we should do if we didn't live in a slowly failing empire where almost nothing can ever change because the politics of a gas tax are probably still bad, although not nearly as bad as 10 years ago.

Out of curiosity, which countries do you think are thriving or excelling?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Biden (interim) Dictator
« Reply #1416 on: March 13, 2021, 07:09:28 AM »
The Nordic countries are the obvious choices for how to run a welfare state, but I think most of Europe has come to terms with ending their empires better than I think the US is/will.

I am actually being a bit more pessimistic than I should be as the domestic Biden agenda would be really good if it gets done, I just have serious doubts about it and the constant invoking of these insane little barriers to change our democracy has allowed are bad signs (the parliamentarian, cloture and a bunch of other dumb senate crap).

I mean at the end of the day, we had an election between two guys who had melting brains so it is hard to take an overly optimistic view, but I am watching for what happens over the next year and would be very happy to see infrastructure and a voting rights bill.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:16:22 AM by Kat Kid »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: March 13, 2021, 07:28:11 AM »
Billionaire tax. It’s so simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: March 13, 2021, 10:16:28 AM »
The EU is in shambles.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: March 13, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »
The EU is in shambles.

We will rescue them, we always do.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: March 13, 2021, 02:47:49 PM »
As far as I know*, the kta is already privately held.

*source: a cop pulled me over doing 100 and was really angry and yelled at me and told me it's a private road and I can get #banned from using it.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: March 13, 2021, 02:53:40 PM »
As far as I know*, the kta is already privately held.

*source: a cop pulled me over doing 100 and was really angry and yelled at me and told me it's a private road and I can get #banned from using it.
I don’t think so, KTA is kind of separate from KDOT because it has its own revenue stream but it is publicly owned, just has some aspects that make it more biz like.  Maybe someone else can explain more clearly, I have read the “about us” page before and that’s the extent of my knowledge.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: March 13, 2021, 03:46:14 PM »
http://www.kslegresearch.org/KLRD-web/Publications/BriefingBook/2020Briefs/M-2-KansasTurnpike-TheRelationshipBetweenKTAandKDOT.pdf

sounds like it's similar to the usps.  in california, the high speed rail authority is a similar legal structure that i'm familiar with.  personally, i'd rather these things be explicitly owned and operated by elected govt and supported by tax revenues.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: March 13, 2021, 04:25:23 PM »

Fantastic burden on the poor in a state where vehicles are absolutely necessary.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: March 13, 2021, 04:50:11 PM »

Fantastic burden on the poor in a state where vehicles are absolutely necessary.

I also suspect it's a way to weed out undocumented immigrants, but please point me to the state where vehicles are not necessary?