Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 113527 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #1750 on: January 08, 2024, 10:07:49 AM »
Just for my own understanding, is the entire "Will is soft" narrative based on that one tweet from his TE?

was it a tweet or a post game interview? (both?)

not sure

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: January 08, 2024, 10:14:27 AM »
How many true freshmen could have done better in his place that season? I say very, very few. He was good as a true freshman.
He wasn’t just “not good, even for a freshman.”  He was almost unbelievably bad.  Like it was difficult to believe any human could be so bad at being a quarterback.

That response is not a long list of people who would have been better, is it?
Like, in the history of the game of football?  A lot?

I get hardly any true freshman are asked to play meaningful snaps at QB (though a lot more are doing it a lot more).  But in 2020 alone, Michael Pratt, Jeff Sims (then at GT), Max Johnson (then at LSU), DJU, Harrison Bailey of Tennessee, Ken Seals of Vandy.  Avery was "good" this year.  Howard was not in 2020.

Even for a true freshman, he was not "good."

I agree that he doesn't compare with the top 1% of true freshman. Here's what I mean. Imagine you take every true freshman from every team in the country and have them play as much as Howard did as a true freshman. Where does Howard rank on that list?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: January 08, 2024, 10:21:10 AM »
Just for my own understanding, is the entire "Will is soft" narrative based on that one tweet from his TE?

was it a tweet or a post game interview? (both?)

not sure

It was a post game interview in which Sinnott discussed criticism on social media and other places. It kind of blew up then but it existed in other places. The Sinnott soundbite gave those who had been critical license to be even louder, "see I told you he was soft." The most laughable take are the people who think that Howard put Sinnott up to making the quote.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How good is Will Howard[emoji47]
« Reply #1753 on: January 08, 2024, 10:23:08 AM »
What is even the point of focusing on his freshman year? I think we can all agree that even if you totally ignore Will’s first season, he was not good the following season. If you’re suggesting the freshman year ruined his confidence, it doesn’t explain how good he played in 2022. And if you think he is viewed unfairly because of a slow start then it doesn’t really explain the apparent regression for stretches in 2023.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard[emoji47]
« Reply #1754 on: January 08, 2024, 10:31:37 AM »
What is even the point of focusing on his freshman year? I think we can all agree that even if you totally ignore Will’s first season, he was not good the following season. If you’re suggesting the freshman year ruined his confidence, it doesn’t explain how good he played in 2022. And if you think he is viewed unfairly because of a slow start then it doesn’t really explain the apparent regression for stretches in 2023.
We're only talking about it because Chum made a bold statement that he was "good" his freshman year.  It was an interesting statement that we have some more perspective on at this point, so I thought it was worth talking about.

Calling Howard "soft" is obviously crazy. That guy heard unreal amounts of criticism throughout his career -- especially prior to '22.  That he stuck around and was ready to go in the back half of 2022 tells you all you need to know about whether he can handle criticism from a fanbase.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: January 08, 2024, 10:48:23 AM »
I would guess most of Will's "regression" in 2023 could be explained by not having Deuce

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: January 08, 2024, 11:02:52 AM »
I would guess most of Will's "regression" in 2023 could be explained by not having Deuce
Absolutely.  And the inverse of that is that part of why Will looked so good in 2022 is because of Deuce.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard[emoji47]
« Reply #1757 on: January 08, 2024, 11:06:19 AM »
What is even the point of focusing on his freshman year?

I think recognizing that he was good at one point in time clears up some of the "nobody could have seen it coming/Howard came out of nowhere" stuff people say.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: January 08, 2024, 11:06:53 AM »
I've thought he's been good at pre-snap reads but not great at reading after the snap.  I think B12 defenses adjusted to that which caused him to be baited into dumb interceptions early too.  I think he forced some balls due to overconfidence as well.

I certainly agree that Deuce being gone allowed defenses to play us differently too.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: January 08, 2024, 11:43:12 AM »
have you guys figured out how good will howard is yet?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: January 08, 2024, 11:44:24 AM »

I think most of it is based on the drinking problems a certain doughy segment of our fanbase struggles with.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: January 08, 2024, 12:04:22 PM »
Lots of good discussion about 'ole Howard in here so I'll just throw my take in on it.

2020 was a crap year for everyone, and with half our team out at any given point I was disappointed, but not upset with how Will played. He had very little time in the program, lots of distractions going on around him and the program, and a fair amount of volatility.

2021 was quite an upsetting year. Between his turnovers, his concrete feet, and almost always overthrowing receivers and costing us downs, I was completely sure that Howard was not a D1 quarterback. I'm fairly certain I even came in here and said as much. The only redeeming thing that came out of that season was a bowl win and us firing Messingham after the disaster that was the Texas game. I was also completely sure that when Martinez went down in 2022 that our season was over. Howard had shown next to no improvement (in my opinion) between his freshman and sophomore years so...

I'm thankful that I was wrong.

All in all, I think Howard was an above average quarterback that, when surrounded by the right tools, can really shine. I don't think he'll end up being one of the greats though who's able to take the team on his shoulders and go on to victory. We'll always have the Dr. Pepper though.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: January 08, 2024, 12:07:29 PM »
I think the takeaway is Avery is gonna be rough ridin' incredible

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: January 08, 2024, 12:08:53 PM »

Giddens is a future nfl back

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: January 08, 2024, 04:26:36 PM »

Nope.  Good news is that we have another team to watch next year in order to find out!  Unless he doesn't win the starting job, in which case the debate will continue.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: January 08, 2024, 07:37:04 PM »

He's a much better than average QB who made remarkable progress in our program. Howevertheless, he lacks the magic of a superstar that his successor appears to have.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: January 08, 2024, 07:53:23 PM »
Just another Klieman NFL QB product
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: January 08, 2024, 11:02:38 PM »

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: January 08, 2024, 11:44:18 PM »
I think the OL might be the problem

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: January 21, 2024, 04:52:40 PM »
 :dubious:

Former Alabama quarterback Julian Sayin, ESPN's top quarterback recruit in the 2024 class, is transferring to Ohio State, he told ESPN on Sunday.

Sayin entered the NCAA transfer portal Friday in the wake of Nick Saban's retirement from Alabama. He is ESPN's No. 3 overall prospect in the Class of 2024 and the top offensive prospect in his recruiting class.

He plans to enroll at Ohio State soon and will participate in the Buckeyes' spring practice. Sayin left Alabama after enrolling there in early January. Saban retired soon after Sayin's arrival.

"Incredibly excited to join the team here at Ohio State," Sayin told ESPN on Sunday. "I held this program in high regard throughout my entire recruiting process and am looking forward to learning from some of the most talented players and coaches in college football and contributing to our team's success."

Sayin has experience with the Ohio State staff and a relationship with new Buckeyes coordinator and quarterbacks coach Bill O'Brien from his high school recruiting process. O'Brien had been part of Sayin's early recruitment to Alabama. (O'Brien left for the Patriots for the 2023 season before getting hired at Ohio State last week.)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39357008/former-alabama-qb-julian-sayin-transfer-ohio-state

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: January 21, 2024, 05:10:24 PM »
Maybe Bill O’Brien is the type of guy who won’t want his guy?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: January 21, 2024, 05:10:35 PM »
I hope Will got his bag up front

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: January 21, 2024, 05:14:32 PM »
Just a quick little history/geography lesson…bill obrien was the guy who came in and calmed the waters in the paterno aftermath at Penn(sylvania) State. And Will Howard is from…you guessed it folks, Pennsylvania.
Translation: Will has nothing to be worried about

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: January 21, 2024, 05:35:51 PM »
If 5th year Will can't beat out a kid who has literally never taken a college snap then he was never going to make the NFL.  I'd still put him as the heavy favorite to be the starter in 24

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: January 21, 2024, 07:09:44 PM »
I don’t think it’s a given that he would beat out their existing guys.