Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 110872 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #650 on: September 13, 2021, 09:53:05 AM »
this morning i am CHECKING THE TAPE.

in the drama of how shitty the 2nd quarter ended up being, i forgot that Howard's first full drive was actually very good ending in a TD.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 13, 2021, 10:12:59 AM »
Based on my review of Nevada's games so far: their run defense is total garbage.  K-State facing this defense this week is a godsend.  Truly a miracle.

Cal's running backs rushed for 7.5 ypc.  They gave it to their RBs just 21 times. SMH.  Meanwhile, they threw the ball 38 times for 4.7 ypa.  Idaho State's RB also got 7.5 ypc.  F worrying about building up Howard's confidence this week.  Feed the runningbacks early and often.  I want the 3 headed monster to get 40 carries.  Let Howard carry it 10 times too if he wants. 

They have an average pass defense and an above average pass rush in my view. 

Go rush for 300 yards, run 3-3-5 all game to try and stop that mad bomber crap they pull, and we should win by 3 scores. 

If our offensive line was better I’d be more confident, but you are spot on with your strategy.  Let Jacardia pound it between the tackles and keep them off the field as much as possible.

They're not that bad, but sorta understand your point. I actually think they played/play pretty darn well.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 13, 2021, 10:26:54 AM »
Based on my review of Nevada's games so far: their run defense is total garbage.  K-State facing this defense this week is a godsend.  Truly a miracle.

Cal's running backs rushed for 7.5 ypc.  They gave it to their RBs just 21 times. SMH.  Meanwhile, they threw the ball 38 times for 4.7 ypa.  Idaho State's RB also got 7.5 ypc.  F worrying about building up Howard's confidence this week.  Feed the runningbacks early and often.  I want the 3 headed monster to get 40 carries.  Let Howard carry it 10 times too if he wants. 

They have an average pass defense and an above average pass rush in my view. 

Go rush for 300 yards, run 3-3-5 all game to try and stop that mad bomber crap they pull, and we should win by 3 scores.

i needed this

As did I. I may take a step back from the ledge... at least for now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 13, 2021, 10:32:02 AM »
this morning i am CHECKING THE TAPE.

in the drama of how shitty the 2nd quarter ended up being, i forgot that Howard's first full drive was actually very good ending in a TD.

first drive of the 3rd was a 66 yard drive. and there was a 2nd half TD drive in the 4th. Not terrible!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 13, 2021, 10:38:15 AM »
I think the thing with Will is, the eyeball test with me. Which is where he doesn't look good at all and I don't see much room for improving, since he sucks complete donkey sacks. That's it though, other than that, he seems like a good kid.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 13, 2021, 10:45:52 AM »
Has anyone seen Jaren Lewis play? Practice tidbits?
EMAW

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 13, 2021, 11:03:52 AM »
He got scout team player of the week like a billion times

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 13, 2021, 11:08:50 AM »
has jaren lewis ever even taken a garbage time snap?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 13, 2021, 11:09:58 AM »
No. This is the first year he hasn't been on scout team.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #659 on: September 13, 2021, 11:10:39 AM »
Here is how the game went on a drive-by-drive basis.  Here the "productivity" number is the "actual" value of the drive minus the expected value of the drive for an average offense.  For example, an average team will score about a 0.9 points for a drive that starts on the 25 yard line (like after a touchback on kickoff), and an average team will score about 4.3 points when starting a drive from the opponent's 25 yard line.  I put actual in quotes because I still give some credit for offense that moves the ball, but doesn't score (that's because in principle in makes it harder for the other offense to score from worse field position).

Anyway, the clear disastrous sequence of drives at the end of the 2nd quarter are quite evident. In three straight drives our offense, by itself, cost us about 11 points. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: September 13, 2021, 11:11:41 AM »
Nevada are early favorites at -2.5.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 13, 2021, 11:36:53 AM »
ESPN article said that Jaren Lewis is backing up Howard, not Rubley.  I don't know if that reporting is just based on the depth chart or something more.  That would seem to indicate that they still plan on trying to RS Rubley.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 13, 2021, 11:38:10 AM »
Wasn’t the plan always to RS rubley? I thought I remembered them talking about it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 13, 2021, 11:39:03 AM »
https://twitter.com/DYoungRivals/status/1437439549689540609

I'll just point out here that Rubley has more experience in the program now than Howard did at this point last year. One of these guys were starting Big 12 football games, the other can't crack the two deep.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 13, 2021, 11:42:16 AM »
Wasn’t the plan always to RS rubley? I thought I remembered them talking about it.

Yes, but that has no bearing on where you are on the depth chart. Dude can play 4 whole games and keep his redshirt, looks like he isn't going to play 4 snaps this year and he's behind two other freshmen on the depth chart.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 13, 2021, 11:52:11 AM »
Colin Klein was moved to WR later in his career than Rubley is now

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 13, 2021, 12:13:01 PM »

Right, and he never passed the starter on the depth chart.. Even after he won the Texas game, Coffman went back to start when he was healthy. Daniel Thomas threw more passes the last two games of that season than Klein did, 3-0.

I don't think proper appreciation is being given to how hard it will be for Howard to lose the job next year if he gets another handful of starts again this year.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 13, 2021, 12:16:27 PM »
All Rubley has to do is not get injured and he will get a shot within the next two years.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 13, 2021, 12:18:42 PM »

Right, and he never passed the starter on the depth chart.. Even after he won the Texas game, Coffman went back to start when he was healthy. Daniel Thomas threw more passes the last two games of that season than Klein did, 3-0.

well, he had been playing WR the year before so...

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 13, 2021, 12:31:21 PM »

Yes his only job this year was to be in Justin Bieber themed tik tok videos
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 13, 2021, 01:46:34 PM »

Yes, but that has no bearing on where you are on the depth chart. Dude can play 4 whole games and keep his redshirt, looks like he isn't going to play 4 snaps this year and he's behind two other freshmen on the depth chart.
I would say it has a bearing…what coach is gonna give first team reps to a guy who can’t play more than 4 games? I’m sure it’s fair to say Rubley hasn’t done enough to make the staff think it’s worth burning his redshirt, but other than that I don’t think you can say a whole lot else.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 13, 2021, 03:10:31 PM »

I would say it has a bearing…what coach is gonna give first team reps to a guy who can’t play more than 4 games? I’m sure it’s fair to say Rubley hasn’t done enough to make the staff think it’s worth burning his redshirt, but other than that I don’t think you can say a whole lot else.

More than 1 QB gets first team reps. The coaches redshirting him is indicative of the fact they don't think he's ready to play nor will he be this year.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 13, 2021, 03:14:34 PM »
There is no threat to burn Rubely’s rs, even if he plays. Just battering ram Howard and feed the three-headed monster (Jac, Swervin Ervin, and Deuce) until Thompson comes back.

We should be able to roll over Nevada’s run defense anyway.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 13, 2021, 06:18:44 PM »
There is no threat to burn Rubely’s rs, even if he plays. Just battering ram Howard and feed the three-headed monster (Jac, Swervin Ervin, and Deuce) until Thompson comes back.

We should be able to roll over Nevada’s run defense anyway.

Stock up on the band aids for his elbows and we should be in good shape.
@mikec2w

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 14, 2021, 12:27:00 AM »
Yes, bandages for Will Howards elbows and forearms after pounding himself into a pulp for ol’ KSU. Rubley will pass Howard for QB soon enough and then get drafted into the NFL because he is going to be awesome at passing TDs.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.