Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 110874 times)

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #625 on: September 12, 2021, 05:18:15 PM »
without thinking that much into it, i think it's bad our hotshot 4 star qb isn't getting considered over the WSQBOAT. but coaches are weird about freshman. it's definitely not a huge deal yet, i'd say my hope for rubley dropped like 20%.

K-State coaches are weird about freshmen QBs. You see them rolled out at other schools, sometimes with good to amazing results -- of course, sometimes not. But we're talking about WAR of Howard.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 12, 2021, 05:34:00 PM »
Will Howard is complete trash.

It's been 9 months, and nothing has changed. Will Howard is still not a D1 quarterback.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 12, 2021, 05:58:39 PM »
Will seemed plenty confident early last season. it’s the several games of reality that have crushed it beyond recognition
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 12, 2021, 06:12:07 PM »
If Rubley isn't a better option than Howard that means our staff has failed to recruit an FBS level QB.

And 0 prospects for 2022
I fully expect a transfer this winter/spring at QB
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 12, 2021, 06:52:50 PM »
Rubley wasn't even the back up, Jaren Lewis was/is. I saw Rubley play last year, my guess is that the game is a bit too fast for him right now. But Howard had to play as a true freshman without an off-season. If Rubley isn't better than him now, he never will be.
come on man

Come on what? What are you taking exception to here? Howard has been in the program 5 months longer than Rubley, those five months were Howard playing college football, in those same 5 months Rubley played 5 high school football games. They are both freshman and Rubley isn't going to get 7 games of playing QB to close whatever gap there is now. If Klieman decides Rubley isn't get enough to at least get a chance to start sometime this season and you assume progression is linear for both guys, Rubley won't close the gap.

If Rubley is the more talented player he needs to play right now. If Howard's playbook knowledge and intangibles are strong enough to overcome what we all think is a gap in physical skill, I have no idea when the coaches will ever see enough to make a change if they're going to let Howard turn the ball over 3 times every game.
well, i can’t imagine (other than to support your preposterous take) that one would assume a linear progression path between the two players whom posses such dissimilar skill sets.  for someone who continually preaches objectivity to this board, might be time for you to take some of your own advice.

Because you have the amazing propensity to criticize and bitch without actually making a point of your own, I'm still very unclear with the issue you have with the point I made. I'm almost certain you're misunderstanding the point but I can't be certain because you haven't said anything. Judging by your last line I'm guessing you think I'm saying that I think Howard is better, if that's the case you need to read better.

My opinion is that I hope they give Rubley the chance to earn the job of starting QB. I don't think they have done that yet. If they view the starting job as Howard's job, then Rubley will never play here. I'll point out again, that as of yesterday they didn't even have Rubley as the 3rd QB on the depth chart.

We can all want Rubley to play, and no crap, we all do. We don't make the depth chart.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: September 12, 2021, 06:59:11 PM »
Also I have no idea how can determine they have dissimilar skill sets. Here are the high school stats for one of them.

Here's the other.

I'm hoping that Rubley is significantly better Howard but I don't understand the thought that they have a different skill set. Maybe you have access to film I haven't seen, it's very possible.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 12, 2021, 07:17:06 PM »
K-State coaches are weird about freshmen QBs. You see them rolled out at other schools, sometimes with good to amazing results -- of course, sometimes not. But we're talking about WAR of Howard.

GOTTA EARN IT :jerk:

Makes me think. Do the lunchpails really care if some stud comes in and destroys him at his job with half the effort? Do we even care about them to begin with, they’re just happy to be on the team. I get making sure everyone works hard, but there’s a balance and we jerk off our walkons too much.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 12, 2021, 07:23:01 PM »
Rubley wasn't even the back up, Jaren Lewis was/is. I saw Rubley play last year, my guess is that the game is a bit too fast for him right now. But Howard had to play as a true freshman without an off-season. If Rubley isn't better than him now, he never will be.
come on man

Come on what? What are you taking exception to here? Howard has been in the program 5 months longer than Rubley, those five months were Howard playing college football, in those same 5 months Rubley played 5 high school football games. They are both freshman and Rubley isn't going to get 7 games of playing QB to close whatever gap there is now. If Klieman decides Rubley isn't get enough to at least get a chance to start sometime this season and you assume progression is linear for both guys, Rubley won't close the gap.

If Rubley is the more talented player he needs to play right now. If Howard's playbook knowledge and intangibles are strong enough to overcome what we all think is a gap in physical skill, I have no idea when the coaches will ever see enough to make a change if they're going to let Howard turn the ball over 3 times every game.
well, i can’t imagine (other than to support your preposterous take) that one would assume a linear progression path between the two players whom posses such dissimilar skill sets.  for someone who continually preaches objectivity to this board, might be time for you to take some of your own advice.

Because you have the amazing propensity to criticize and bitch without actually making a point of your own, I'm still very unclear with the issue you have with the point I made. I'm almost certain you're misunderstanding the point but I can't be certain because you haven't said anything. Judging by your last line I'm guessing you think I'm saying that I think Howard is better, if that's the case you need to read better.

My opinion is that I hope they give Rubley the chance to earn the job of starting QB. I don't think they have done that yet. If they view the starting job as Howard's job, then Rubley will never play here. I'll point out again, that as of yesterday they didn't even have Rubley as the 3rd QB on the depth chart.

We can all want Rubley to play, and no crap, we all do. We don't make the depth chart.
as you often do, you’ve pivoted. 
your original and dumbass point was that if rubley isn’t better than howard today, then he never will be.  those words, your post.
i’ll let you continue to try to get as far away as you can from such a dumb statement, because i’d want the same consideration if I posted something that hilarious.  or maybe it was a parody post, idk.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 12, 2021, 07:25:26 PM »
also, i’ve already posted my support for howard in this thread and do not want rubley to play.  because i trust the judgement of paid professionals to determine his readiness.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 12, 2021, 07:29:23 PM »

Makes me think. Do the lunchpails really care if some stud comes in and destroys him at his job with half the effort? Do we even care about them to begin with, they’re just happy to be on the team. I get making sure everyone works hard, but there’s a balance and we jerk off our walkons too much.

What are some examples of these freshman QBs? Is the criticism here ultimately just that K-State coaches don't recruit players on the level of Spencer Rattler or Trevor Lawrence?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 12, 2021, 07:49:27 PM »
Colin Klein MAY have been one. Hard to tell because he was a WR as a freshman and was backing up Carson Coffman as a sophomore.

Of course, maybe there is still time for development after game two of a true freshman season.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 12, 2021, 08:21:57 PM »
come on man

as you often do, you’ve pivoted. 
your original and dumbass point was that if rubley isn’t better than howard today, then he never will be.  those words, your post.
i’ll let you continue to try to get as far away as you can from such a dumb statement, because i’d want the same consideration if I posted something that hilarious.  or maybe it was a parody post, idk.

Yeah, you did misunderstand, that wasn't at all the point, but continue to go off. I've explained it twice a third time won't help you read less angrily.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 12, 2021, 08:25:32 PM »
also, i’ve already posted my support for howard in this thread and do not want rubley to play.  because i trust the judgement of paid professionals to determine his readiness.
lol, so since we agree on this I can only ascertain you're mad at my assertion that Rubley won't get good enough to pass Howard by being the third string QB and never playing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 12, 2021, 08:30:38 PM »

What are some examples of these freshman QBs? Is the criticism here ultimately just that K-State coaches don't recruit players on the level of Spencer Rattler or Trevor Lawrence?

The thought that college football backups, especially for programs outside of the top 10 in the recruiting class rankings, should be able to seamlessly come in and win completely discounts the importance and difficulty of the position.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 12, 2021, 08:33:15 PM »
e in an
rea
You can post that when Will the Unready came in and performed so badly the professional basically decided they had to take the ball out of his throwing hand if the team was to have a chance to win?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 12, 2021, 10:34:09 PM »
Did anyone watch his postgame interview.  He basically said he knew he had mumped up some of the plays, but attributed to not having first string reps during practice.  He feels he will play with more confidence with first string reps this week for the Nevada game.  Lets hope he improves. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 12, 2021, 11:11:26 PM »
Didn't see that, kinda makes sense, kinda doesn't. Either way I like the confidence, hope it's real and not false bravado.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 12, 2021, 11:16:51 PM »
Based on my review of Nevada's games so far: their run defense is total garbage.  K-State facing this defense this week is a godsend.  Truly a miracle.

Cal's running backs rushed for 7.5 ypc.  They gave it to their RBs just 21 times. SMH.  Meanwhile, they threw the ball 38 times for 4.7 ypa.  Idaho State's RB also got 7.5 ypc.  F worrying about building up Howard's confidence this week.  Feed the runningbacks early and often.  I want the 3 headed monster to get 40 carries.  Let Howard carry it 10 times too if he wants. 

They have an average pass defense and an above average pass rush in my view. 

Go rush for 300 yards, run 3-3-5 all game to try and stop that mad bomber crap they pull, and we should win by 3 scores. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 13, 2021, 12:30:53 AM »
Based on my review of Nevada's games so far: their run defense is total garbage.  K-State facing this defense this week is a godsend.  Truly a miracle.

Cal's running backs rushed for 7.5 ypc.  They gave it to their RBs just 21 times. SMH.  Meanwhile, they threw the ball 38 times for 4.7 ypa.  Idaho State's RB also got 7.5 ypc.  F worrying about building up Howard's confidence this week.  Feed the runningbacks early and often.  I want the 3 headed monster to get 40 carries.  Let Howard carry it 10 times too if he wants. 

Go rush for 300 yards, run 3-3-5 all game to try and stop that mad bomber crap they pull, and we should win by 3 scores.

Will Howard will never make a dime playing quarterback anywhere else. At Kansas State he has opportunity the opportunity to earn immortality — and cold hard cash. Klein and Mess must go all in on the QB battering ram offense until Thompson returns.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 13, 2021, 05:21:48 AM »

If our offensive line was better I’d be more confident, but you are spot on with your strategy.  Let Jacardia pound it between the tackles and keep them off the field as much as possible.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: September 13, 2021, 06:19:17 AM »
All end-arounds, all the time. This game is gonna be wild.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 13, 2021, 08:42:07 AM »
Did anyone watch his postgame interview.  He basically said he knew he had mumped up some of the plays, but attributed to not having first string reps during practice.  He feels he will play with more confidence with first string reps this week for the Nevada game.  Lets hope he improves.

leading up to the first 2 games, i def read that he was getting 30% of the 1st team reps in practice.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 13, 2021, 08:57:25 AM »
Snyder didn't love his young QBs either....even in 1.0 era. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 13, 2021, 09:27:33 AM »
lol, so since we agree on this I can only ascertain you're mad at my assertion that Rubley won't get good enough to pass Howard by being the third string QB and never playing.
you calling someone else angry?
no one is mad, at least i’m not

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 13, 2021, 09:28:41 AM »

i needed this