Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 37221 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #1000 on: April 05, 2024, 09:49:02 AM »
Also he’s now admitted to Children’s with O2 levels of 88 and diminished lungs both sides. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, sorry SD.

Our best player will catch every once in a while. He is amazing wherever he plays which is mostly short, but I honestly think he is a better catcher even though he only does it once in a while. Our regular catcher is fine, but when the other kid is back there its a completely different story. Nothing gets by him and its just effortless. It makes little kid games so much better when the catcher is good. Pitching is obviously the most important, but even if he is throwing strikes, kids games completely suck ass when the catcher isn't great.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 08, 2024, 01:11:36 PM »
Great news, he rallied and played his ass off in 4 games this weekend.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 08, 2024, 01:12:11 PM »
PG banned the Hype Fire -5, USSSA will most likely follow suit. Imagine spending $400 on a bat and you can't even use it.

:sdeek:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 08, 2024, 01:13:09 PM »
lmao

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 08, 2024, 02:08:10 PM »
PG banned the Hype Fire -5, USSSA will most likely follow suit. Imagine spending $400 on a bat and you can't even use it.

:sdeek:
MF...yes, imagine  :facepalm:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: April 08, 2024, 02:18:04 PM »
I have the hype -10. I think its last years version. Am I screwed too? If so, I now understand why I got such a good deal.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 08, 2024, 02:19:28 PM »
I have the hype -10. I think its last years version. Am I screwed too? If so, I now understand why I got such a good deal.

not yet, just the -5 so far. reviews all say the -5 is the hottest so probably will be good.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 08, 2024, 02:21:45 PM »

not yet, just the -5 so far. reviews all say the -5 is the hottest so probably will be good.

Thanks, I assume I'll be fine since its last years model. How do they make these determination? Like, does the season start and coaches start noticing a bunch of rockets being hit by a certain brand?

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 08, 2024, 02:23:48 PM »

Oh good deal. My son has the drop 10, but I was guessing that would be following soon.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 08, 2024, 03:40:08 PM »
so this touches on an issue that i’ve been wondering about ever since I first picked up one of these bats.  it’s ridiculous how lightweight and “hot” they are.  i immediately wondered to myself how they were legal and accepted.  i’m not suggesting that they should be using wooden bats, although college probably should be. 

seems like the technology and materials advancement has outpaced the game.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 08, 2024, 03:56:17 PM »
so this touches on an issue that i’ve been wondering about ever since I first picked up one of these bats.  it’s ridiculous how lightweight and “hot” they are.  i immediately wondered to myself how they were legal and accepted.  i’m not suggesting that they should be using wooden bats, although college probably should be. 

I may be talking out my ass here, but I think they actually have less pop than they used to. I think the old college bats that you heard the "ping" were hotter so they added the new version with required specs. I may have made that whole thing up though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 08, 2024, 04:02:56 PM »

I may be talking out my ass here, but I think they actually have less pop than they used to. I think the old college bats that you heard the "ping" were hotter so they added the new version with required specs. I may have made that whole thing up though.
No, the hottest bats are composite and sound like a snapping branch when you hit with them. The alloy bats have generally less pop and still give that ping. Composite bats don’t have a long life and can’t be hit in cold weather because they will break. Also you don’t want to use them in the cage because you’re shortening that lifespan. Most kids will have an alloy metal bat and composite bat in their bat pack. Like there are Marucci bats in the same line (ie CatX) that are alloy, composite handle/alloy barrel, and two piece composite. Lil sd carries the second and third ones.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 08, 2024, 05:50:10 PM »
Old college/hs bats were hotter than any bat a hs or college player can use today. There were no certifications, and the technology was pretty advanced at that point. Hs and College players were also using drop 5s.

The first certification was BESR, which tamed the bats and required hs/college players to use drop 3 bats.

Several years later BBCOR became the certification, and deaded bats even more. So, now the bat companies do all they can to max out the bats within the BBCOR certification. So they come out with new bats all the time, and new technology, but it really doesn’t amount to much other than combinations of swing-weight, sweet-spot/forgiveness, and pop. Today’s bats can’t hold a candle to the bats of the late 90s and early 2000s.

It’s different for USSSA certification, which is what little kids use, especially competitive teams. They make those bats as hot as they can and turn youth baseball into an industrial complex for rich suburbanites. USSSA cert is generally for -10 to -5 bats.

Compare a drop 5 usssa to a drop 3 BBCOR and you will see the difference immediately.

There is also USA baseball certification for little league, etc. which significantly deadens the bat and minimizes forgiveness and sweetspot.

Edit: every so often a USSSA bat will be released that is deemed “too hot” and get removed from tournament use.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 05:56:54 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 08, 2024, 06:01:56 PM »
Yeah, if you play travel ball and a kid shows up with a USA bat your first priority is explaining to his parents that he’s going to need a USSSA bat.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 08, 2024, 06:31:52 PM »
Old college/hs bats were hotter than any bat a hs or college player can use today. There were no certifications, and the technology was pretty advanced at that point. Hs and College players were also using drop 5s.

The first certification was BESR, which tamed the bats and required hs/college players to use drop 3 bats.

Several years later BBCOR became the certification, and deaded bats even more. So, now the bat companies do all they can to max out the bats within the BBCOR certification. So they come out with new bats all the time, and new technology, but it really doesn’t amount to much other than combinations of swing-weight, sweet-spot/forgiveness, and pop. Today’s bats can’t hold a candle to the bats of the late 90s and early 2000s.

It’s different for USSSA certification, which is what little kids use, especially competitive teams. They make those bats as hot as they can and turn youth baseball into an industrial complex for rich suburbanites. USSSA cert is generally for -10 to -5 bats.

Compare a drop 5 usssa to a drop 3 BBCOR and you will see the difference immediately.

There is also USA baseball certification for little league, etc. which significantly deadens the bat and minimizes forgiveness and sweetspot.

Edit: every so often a USSSA bat will be released that is deemed “too hot” and get removed from tournament use.
thanks, very helpful.  you also touched on a concern I had but didn’t express and that is what you’re calling the industrial complex for the steve dave’s of the world. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 08, 2024, 08:46:00 PM »
Soccer kids just get to ogle cleats, shin guards and grip socks.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 08, 2024, 09:06:13 PM »
It’s all sports. Sports aren’t for the poor.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 08, 2024, 09:25:01 PM »
Soccer kids just get to ogle cleats, shin guards and grip socks.
i think they call them boots

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 08, 2024, 09:27:14 PM »
too broad of a brush.  sports absolutely offer a ray of hope and opportunity for underprivileged children.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 08, 2024, 10:23:26 PM »
too broad of a brush.  sports absolutely offer a ray of hope and opportunity for underprivileged children.
These HBO Real Sports segments paint a different picture, where only the very most athletic unprivileged kids will have a chance.

https://youtu.be/AGxxBER5xJU?si=Qn4pRLtdpzP67Y2x

https://youtu.be/9ATwFkYpVys?si=-AFmhscIQNDzmB14

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: April 08, 2024, 10:47:45 PM »
These HBO Real Sports segments paint a different picture, where only the very most athletic unprivileged kids will have a chance.

https://youtu.be/AGxxBER5xJU?si=Qn4pRLtdpzP67Y2x

https://youtu.be/9ATwFkYpVys?si=-AFmhscIQNDzmB14
I linked that very same episode earlier in this thread but for other reasons.  i’d rather not get any further into this topic than we already are so i’ll just peace out.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 08, 2024, 10:50:50 PM »

thanks, very helpful.  you also touched on a concern I had but didn’t express and that is what you’re calling the industrial complex for the steve dave’s of the world.
One of the numerous reasons I despise youth sports in its current form

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 09, 2024, 12:58:13 AM »

One of the numerous reasons I despise youth sports in its current form

What would youth sports be in its ideal form for you?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
competitive little kid sports
« Reply #1023 on: April 09, 2024, 08:59:01 AM »
I saw a thread about youth soccer in the 12,000 person town Erling Haaland grew up in and that sounded idyllic.

Caveats— I don’t know if it is accurate and I am generalizing

They had kids in youth soccer from about 6 on. They built a dome for soccer in the middle of town (it is Norway). They had an excellent coach. They only practiced 2x a week but left the doors unlocked to the facility so it was open access pretty much 24/7. They had pickup games every Saturday. They did not cut, they let kids choose how often they came to practice when they were like 11-12, 2x a week or 4x a week. Again they didn’t cut and they only started competing in tournaments regionally at 13+. I don’t know what the fees were, but it seemed like most of the expenditures were public not pay to play.

That sounds better in pretty much every way.

And it produced several pros, not just Haaland. I don’t care if my kid plays beyond HS or even in HS if they do more than ride the bench tbh, I just want them to have something they can get better at that is active and with a team.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 09:06:06 AM by Kat Kid »

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 09, 2024, 09:36:00 AM »
I saw a thread about youth soccer in the 12,000 person town Erling Haaland grew up in and that sounded idyllic.

Caveats— I don’t know if it is accurate and I am generalizing

They had kids in youth soccer from about 6 on. They built a dome for soccer in the middle of town (it is Norway). They had an excellent coach. They only practiced 2x a week but left the doors unlocked to the facility so it was open access pretty much 24/7. They had pickup games every Saturday. They did not cut, they let kids choose how often they came to practice when they were like 11-12, 2x a week or 4x a week. Again they didn’t cut and they only started competing in tournaments regionally at 13+. I don’t know what the fees were, but it seemed like most of the expenditures were public not pay to play.

That sounds better in pretty much every way.

And it produced several pros, not just Haaland. I don’t care if my kid plays beyond HS or even in HS if they do more than ride the bench tbh, I just want them to have something they can get better at that is active and with a team.

Yeah, this sounds pretty great. I feel like outside of small towns, US cities/suburbs are just too segmented. The above sounds awesome, but that 12k person town would be like 7 different cities/towns in the KC area. I'm not sure what the fix is. Its a combo of so many different issues. The main problem is that 95% of kids playing sports should be playing in rec leagues with like 5% playing "competitive or travel". For some reason, that % that I just made up got flipped and rec leagues are hard to find or non existent because everyone is on a different competitive team. Its dumb.