Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 36912 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #875 on: March 08, 2024, 08:47:23 PM »
We have still tipped as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 09, 2024, 10:25:24 AM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 09, 2024, 03:58:34 PM »

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 09, 2024, 08:41:17 PM »
It's a wonder there aren't more concussions in tee ball and early coach pitch.  They put all the kids in a semi-circle around the pitcher's mound, and every time a ball is hit, there are about 4 kids diving for it and cracking heads.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 11, 2024, 08:27:41 AM »
It's a wonder there aren't more concussions in tee ball and early coach pitch.  They put all the kids in a semi-circle around the pitcher's mound, and every time a ball is hit, there are about 4 kids diving for it and cracking heads.

It only takes one kid that knows what he is doing to completely wreck the other dirt diggers. When Lil SF was in T ball, he figured out really quick where to stand to get the most action. He would run out just to the 3rd base side of the mound and claim his spot. He would then get every grounder and chuck it towards whatever kid was near first base almost killing said kid. It was terrifying every time, but no one could tell him not to do what he was supposed be doing.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 11, 2024, 08:33:47 AM »
pretty sure I've said it before but it still boggles my mind that baseball is the first organized sport I played. It's boring, has confusing rules, and really difficult for little kids. Like the worst of everything for kids trying sports. I wonder how many kids got completely turned off of sports because they sucked at baseball when they were like 8 or 9 and that was their only option and they assumed they sucked at all sports. (granted that's changed but still)

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 11, 2024, 08:49:30 AM »
After much research, this is the song he should use.

https://youtu.be/wOU0yV2dj8U?si=drbuOjJfEkacN2cl
@mikec2w

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 11, 2024, 09:00:06 AM »
pretty sure I've said it before but it still boggles my mind that baseball is the first organized sport I played. It's boring, has confusing rules, and really difficult for little kids. Like the worst of everything for kids trying sports. I wonder how many kids got completely turned off of sports because they sucked at baseball when they were like 8 or 9 and that was their only option and they assumed they sucked at all sports. (granted that's changed but still)

Ha, very true. Pretty sure me and my kid both killed little kids baseball careers. I was playing catch with one of his class mates. They were prob 1st grade and I was just lobbing it to him trying to get him going. He started doing better so I lobbed one a bit higher so he would turn his glove around. Right in the eyeball. He finished the season but never played again. I still joke with him that I made him quit baseball and he just smiles and says "yeah".

Lil SF did the same, got paired with a dirt digger in like 1st grade. I noticed it immediately and went over to him and said, "make sure he is watching before you throw it to him". I turned my back for like 9 seconds and WHAM. Right in the beak and blood everywhere.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 11, 2024, 09:17:09 AM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 11, 2024, 10:22:10 AM »

Ha, very true. Pretty sure me and my kid both killed little kids baseball careers. I was playing catch with one of his class mates. They were prob 1st grade and I was just lobbing it to him trying to get him going. He started doing better so I lobbed one a bit higher so he would turn his glove around. Right in the eyeball. He finished the season but never played again. I still joke with him that I made him quit baseball and he just smiles and says "yeah".

Lil SF did the same, got paired with a dirt digger in like 1st grade. I noticed it immediately and went over to him and said, "make sure he is watching before you throw it to him". I turned my back for like 9 seconds and WHAM. Right in the beak and blood everywhere.
The thing about baseball is you will get absolutely smoked by a baseball hundreds of times in your career so weeding out the weak early is really to protect them. If you aren’t comfortable wearing a 4 seamer to the kneecap this ain’t the sport for you.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: March 11, 2024, 10:23:57 AM »
Is it going to hurt for awhile? Yeah. But are you now on base? Hell yeah you are. Now pay attention and don’t get picked off because they know you’re hobbled and you and I know you’re slow as crap to begin with.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 11, 2024, 10:39:45 AM »
Is it going to hurt for awhile? Yeah. But are you now on base? Hell yeah you are. Now pay attention and don’t get picked off because they know you’re hobbled and you and I know you’re slow as crap to begin with.

1st year of kid pitch, I had Lil SF right on the plate. Like, right on top of it. I told him the same, over the plate, swing away, inside, wear it and jog to first. One game he got hit twice in a row and the third time up, the other coach called timeout and bitched at the umpire and they made him move back a bit. Everyone booed him. ha.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 11, 2024, 10:48:56 AM »

1st year of kid pitch, I had Lil SF right on the plate. Like, right on top of it. I told him the same, over the plate, swing away, inside, wear it and jog to first. One game he got hit twice in a row and the third time up, the other coach called timeout and bitched at the umpire and they made him move back a bit. Everyone booed him. ha.
BASEBALL GUY!

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 11, 2024, 12:20:39 PM »
LOL at being introduced to sports at 8 or 9 anymore.  By the time they are that age, baseball/softball kids have had 6 years of private instruction, outgrown $3000 worth of gear, had at least one Tommy John surgery, are practicing/playing 5 days a week year round and have played tournaments in 6 different states outside of their own.  Soccer is almost as bad (no Tommy John though).

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 11, 2024, 01:22:05 PM »

The thing about baseball is you will get absolutely smoked by a baseball hundreds of times in your career so weeding out the weak early is really to protect them. If you aren’t comfortable wearing a 4 seamer to the kneecap this ain’t the sport for you.

Honestly if your reflexes are so slow that you take a fastball off the knee you probably aren't much of a threat at the plate anyway.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 11, 2024, 02:00:15 PM »

Honestly if your reflexes are so slow that you take a fastball off the knee you probably aren't much of a threat at the plate anyway.
What are you wanting them to do? Move out of the way?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 11, 2024, 02:02:26 PM »
WEAR IT!

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 11, 2024, 02:09:49 PM »

We need baserunners!!!!!!!

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 11, 2024, 03:08:59 PM »
I got cut in 4th grade from the baseball team.  Quit football in 7th grade. 

Wrestling was my salvation in 8th grade thru my senior year.  Two great coaches who took an interest in helping me mature and grow up. 

I wasn't the best 185-pounder and we had no heavy weight, so I "wrestled up" on 9th grade team as a heavy weight.  My aerobics were second to none, so if you were one of the 225 lb tubs of goo taking me on, if you didn't pin me inside of a minute, your ass was mine. 

Always took bottom, and worked the arm bar to roll those big boys over until they ran out of breath and succumbed to my reverse half nelson with all 180 lbs directed between their boy boobs into their sternum thru my chin.

Finished 2nd in every Fr, So (185), JV (185) wrestling tournament.  Knee injury ended the senior campaign 3 matches into the season.

Rejoined the football team again as a sophomore and started my senior year as one of the most average lineman in the Centennial League.

I am available as a motivational speaker for any of your teams.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 11, 2024, 05:06:05 PM »
Hell yeah Tom. 
@mikec2w

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 11, 2024, 06:36:17 PM »

The smart ones just turn their leg in towards the plate and wear it on the back of the leg
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 12, 2024, 09:37:56 AM »

The smart ones just turn their leg in towards the plate and wear it on the back of the leg

And he better not rough ridin' rub it!!!!!

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 12, 2024, 09:40:41 AM »
I got cut in 4th grade from the baseball team.  Quit football in 7th grade. 

Wrestling was my salvation in 8th grade thru my senior year.  Two great coaches who took an interest in helping me mature and grow up. 

I wasn't the best 185-pounder and we had no heavy weight, so I "wrestled up" on 9th grade team as a heavy weight.  My aerobics were second to none, so if you were one of the 225 lb tubs of goo taking me on, if you didn't pin me inside of a minute, your ass was mine. 

Always took bottom, and worked the arm bar to roll those big boys over until they ran out of breath and succumbed to my reverse half nelson with all 180 lbs directed between their boy boobs into their sternum thru my chin.

Finished 2nd in every Fr, So (185), JV (185) wrestling tournament.  Knee injury ended the senior campaign 3 matches into the season.

Rejoined the football team again as a sophomore and started my senior year as one of the most average lineman in the Centennial League.

I am available as a motivational speaker for any of your teams.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
:emawkid:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 12, 2024, 10:44:50 AM »

baseball is the best to teach hand/eye coordination and unlike other sports, you can't start it later. I see what you're saying if its the ONLY sport you start playing, but I think it's a good one for littler kids because of the hand/eye stuff.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 12, 2024, 10:56:33 AM »
baseball is great for all kids. you can put in more work at baseball and be much better than another kid who is naturally taller/stronger/faster than you are. there are definitely genetic advantages you can have in the game, but much less so than other sports. football you can take up much later in life and have success if you are just athletically more gifted. baseball is great for rewarding hard work.