Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 36907 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #800 on: February 28, 2024, 01:50:15 PM »
I was something of a wrestler myself in my youth. Not sure it reinforced positive character traits.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 28, 2024, 01:56:22 PM »
What does wrestling do for kids? Have zero wrestling experience or knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 28, 2024, 02:00:12 PM »

You've never learned how to grapple male genitals?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 28, 2024, 02:01:38 PM »
More and more I believe wrestling is invaluable for developing positive traits in youths.

Once you’ve wrestled, everything else is easy.

I keep trying to convince Lil SF of this very thing. I never wrestled, but I am of the opinion that learning to wrestle at a young age solves many problems in JH, HS, and even college. I may force him to give it a try.

I wouldn't recommend forcing him.  My recommendation would be to take him to some wrestling tournaments so he can see what it is all about.  Hopefully he will have some buds who wrestle that can help convince him to try it. 

Not sure where you are at, but going to a college event would be pretty cool for him.  It will be freestyle instead of folkstyle, but he will get the general idea.
@mikec2w

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 28, 2024, 02:04:56 PM »

Being able to whip everyone's ass in the room has its advantages.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 28, 2024, 02:05:34 PM »

Discipline and perseverance are the main things I would point to.  It is a great sport for girls too and girls wrestling is absolutely exploding right now.
@mikec2w

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 28, 2024, 02:07:14 PM »
I have ribbons and trophies and stuff. Definitely didn't help me in any discernible way.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 28, 2024, 02:24:30 PM »

Discipline and perseverance are the main things I would point to.  It is a great sport for girls too and girls wrestling is absolutely exploding right now.
I don't deny that wrestling requires incredible tenacity and athleticism but I'm really ambivalent (actually troubled) about sports that require weight cutting. I know they are (supposedly) trying to de-emphasize unhealthy means of weight cutting in wrestling but it is still in the sport.  One of my kids does XC and always eats lunch at school with her friends that are wrestlers. They make her feel weird because she is eating a normal lunch so she can go on a 5K run during practice after school and they are having nothing because they are cutting weight. We should normalize young athletes being able to eat and drink as much as they need to hydrate and fuel their little bodies.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 02:30:40 PM by Sandstone Outcropping »

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 28, 2024, 02:35:41 PM »
I have ribbons and trophies and stuff. Definitely didn't help me in any discernible way.

Interesting. I'm a fan of one on one type sports especially for kids at a younger age. I think it builds confidence when kicking ass and humility when getting said ass kicked. These things can def be learned in other areas, but i've always felt wrestling/mma/boxing etc make you learn these things faster. Baseball is sort of similar as its a battle between pitcher/batter, but there is also a lot of downtime in between. I say go right to the ass kicking!!!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 28, 2024, 02:39:57 PM »
It’s hard to make excuses or blame others in wrestling
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: February 28, 2024, 02:57:47 PM »
so it's basically just the same things as individual sports in general. I'm a bigger proponent of team sports for what they build in kids but both have their benefits for sure.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 28, 2024, 03:01:15 PM »

Agreed. I don't condone fighting in any way and have told my kids its an absolute last resort, especially now that everyone has lost their freaking minds. I guess my thought is learning to defend yourself in a proper way and building confidence while also getting your ass handed to you every once in a while would be good for any kid. Things are just so different than when we grew up. I see a lot of my kids friends act tough as crap online, but they can't even communicate in real life.

What the crap do I know though?

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 28, 2024, 03:02:40 PM »
I didn't grow up around wrestling but a few years ago a friend took me to watch the state wrestling meet and this fact was really striking. I guess you can blame refs for calls they do or don't make but by and large it is just you out there with another person who wants to throw you on your back in front of hundreds of other people. Can't blame your teammate for not passing you the ball or blocking for you or whatever.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: February 28, 2024, 03:05:29 PM »
so it's basically just the same things as individual sports in general. I'm a bigger proponent of team sports for what they build in kids but both have their benefits for sure.

Hey SD, Lil SF's baseball team is coming to Omaha to whip ass in a tournament in June. Maybe I can get some game changer tips.  :driving:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 28, 2024, 04:45:58 PM »

Interesting. I'm a fan of one on one type sports especially for kids at a younger age. I think it builds confidence when kicking ass and humility when getting said ass kicked. These things can def be learned in other areas, but i've always felt wrestling/mma/boxing etc make you learn these things faster. Baseball is sort of similar as its a battle between pitcher/batter, but there is also a lot of downtime in between. I say go right to the ass kicking!!!

You guys are the parents, not me. I'm just a devastatingly handsome bachelor living in the big city. I can't speak for the children. I don't regret wrestling, but it was pretty smelly and gross. And while I did dominate, I can't track whether it was a pivotal moment in my life. I would have dominated, anyway.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 28, 2024, 06:04:32 PM »

Hey SD, Lil SF's baseball team is coming to Omaha to whip ass in a tournament in June. Maybe I can get some game changer tips.  :driving:
Slump Buster?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 28, 2024, 06:35:14 PM »
I enjoyed playing bball growing up but kind of wish my parents would have known that wrestling was probably a better choice for someone who was never going to get over 6ft tall at a 6A high school.

I didn't start wrestling until my sophomore year of high school after getting cut from the basketball team because nobody needs a 5'9 SF. Definitely the hardest sport I've ever played, I would compare it to maxing out lifting weights and sprinting at the same time on and off for 6 minutes.

I ended up going to state twice and winning a couple of matches because I mastered one move (over under toss) but when I faced people who had been wrestling since they were kids I was out of my league.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 28, 2024, 07:26:54 PM »

Slump Buster?

I think so. It says Triple Crown, but slump buster sounds right.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 28, 2024, 09:19:37 PM »

Slump Buster?

hell yeah, triple crown runs the tourney but it's called Slumpbuster. we take that weekend off for the CWS but let me know when you guys play and we'll come cheer you on if we aren't down there!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 29, 2024, 12:01:55 AM »
wrestling sounded pretty good if you were into 24/7 chawdips to avoid eating and also getting a bunch of medieval skin worm things and maybe running around for hours wearing sweaters or some stupid crap

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 29, 2024, 02:03:00 AM »
I loved wrestling in Jr high and absolutely hated it in high school when it became more serious and the insane amount of endurance running at practice. Only team type thing I've ever quit mid season.

It was a great release of that primal battle type energy that I was filled with as a teenager. I preferred the team aspect of football and tackling doesn't have as heavy endurance demands.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 29, 2024, 07:17:48 AM »

Slump Buster?

hell yeah, triple crown runs the tourney but it's called Slumpbuster. we take that weekend off for the CWS but let me know when you guys play and we'll come cheer you on if we aren't down there!

:thumbsup:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 29, 2024, 08:19:18 AM »
wrestling sounded pretty good if you were into 24/7 chawdips to avoid eating and also getting a bunch of medieval skin worm things and maybe running around for hours wearing sweaters or some stupid crap

they did latex suits when I was in high school. my dumb high school take was "if you're the toughest mother rough rider that you say you are, why are you so afraid of wrestling someone in the higher weight bracket?"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 29, 2024, 08:35:38 AM »

they did latex suits when I was in high school. my dumb high school take was "if you're the toughest mother rough rider that you say you are, why are you so afraid of wrestling someone in the higher weight bracket?"
The entire culture, as someone who has never been around it, seems cringey

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 29, 2024, 08:49:40 AM »
Headed to state basketball in Wichita tomorrow.   :thumbs:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.