Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 33754 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #600 on: April 14, 2023, 12:44:38 PM »
Umpire shortfall is v bad. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 14, 2023, 12:46:21 PM »
2 of my kids are running school track this spring. It's kind of brutal to watch. We were there for 3 hours yesterday and there was about 90 seconds of action between them. They run the 200m and the 100m + the relays.

But my favorite part is what parents scream from the stands. It's like 'RUN! RUN! GO! RUN! DON'T STOP!'  Like, wtf, you thought they were going to stop?

The things parents yell at kid sporting events almost needs it's own thread. Also, it's amaze how few people know the rules of sports (specifically baseball). I was working a JV game (these kids are 16!) baseball game yesterday. I called time to clean the plate, the catcher asked me how many time outs each team gets per game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 14, 2023, 12:47:45 PM »
to be fair, baseball has some of the dumbest strangest rules of any sport in recorded history

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 14, 2023, 12:48:10 PM »

It's because parents at the 10u level or younger are completely insane, don't know basic rules, and treat officials like trash. So the kids who start working games at that level quit because they don't want the abuse. Parents at higher level games are way more chill and understand rules and stuff.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 14, 2023, 12:49:13 PM »
to be fair, baseball has some of the dumbest strangest rules of any sport in recorded history

And I love every dumb rule.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 14, 2023, 12:52:30 PM »

It's because parents at the 10u level or younger are completely insane, don't know basic rules, and treat officials like trash. So the kids who start working games at that level quit because they don't want the abuse. Parents at higher level games are way more chill and understand rules and stuff.

that's a really interesting dynamic. I went to my nephew's 12U or 14U games last summer and I was embarrassed for just about all the parents there.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 14, 2023, 12:57:58 PM »

that's a really interesting dynamic. I went to my nephew's 12U or 14U games last summer and I was embarrassed for just about all the parents there.

Completely anecdotal but in my observation, basketball is WAAAY worse than baseball. 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 14, 2023, 01:26:41 PM »
i buddy of mine told me about a 10u boys basketball game his kids played as part of the local competitive league where a dad was complaining so much the ref gave him his whistle the dad officiated the rest of the game

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 14, 2023, 01:41:10 PM »
In my experience it is basketball > baseball > football for parental craziness but baseball can seem worse because a single loud parent can be clearly heard much easier than football

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 14, 2023, 01:42:44 PM »

I sat our three 9 and 10 yo catchers down at practice last night and tried to explain the dropped third strike rules and after like 7 minutes I was just like, “if you drop strike three tag the batter, if you can’t tag him throw to first, if you need to do anything different I’ll just yell at you what to do if you drop it before the pitch”

One of them got all confused because at one point either I or a parent or something told them to just step on home plate an inning earlier so they tried that with an empty first and got really upset when that didn’t pay off for them. Not your fault little bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 14, 2023, 01:47:41 PM »

I sat our three 9 and 10 yo catchers down at practice last night and tried to explain the dropped third strike rules and after like 7 minutes I was just like, “if you drop strike three tag the batter, if you can’t tag him throw to first, if you need to do anything different I’ll just yell at you what to do if you drop it before the pitch”

One of them got all confused because at one point either I or a parent or something told them to just step on home plate an inning earlier so they tried that with an empty first and got really upset when that didn’t pay off for them. Not your fault little bro.

dropped 3rd strikes are amazing moments of exposing who does and doesn't know the rules.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 14, 2023, 01:49:20 PM »
obstruction/interference is another one no one understands.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 14, 2023, 01:50:40 PM »
Fun thing to know about me is that I know the rule but still yell at my kids to run because when I’m in the moment my mouth runs on full auto pilot. It’s the price you pay for coaching at the speed of light.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 14, 2023, 01:52:15 PM »
lil sd gets called for catchers interference a lot. I always have to tell him to back up. Stick your glove out there and if you can touch the batters knee you are too close bro.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 14, 2023, 01:57:06 PM »
lil sd gets called for catchers interference a lot. I always have to tell him to back up. Stick your glove out there and if you can touch the batters knee you are too close bro.

i have complete trust in you as a coach, but that's gotta get cleaned up ASAP. You can get your hand broken.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 14, 2023, 02:37:59 PM »
I went to my nephew's (10 years old) game and the umpire didn't show up so the league called in some 16 year old who got there as fast as he could, but the game was delayed about 30 minutes.  The parents immediately being giving him crap over every call.  It was infuriating to watch.  I can't believe that kid showed up.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 14, 2023, 02:41:49 PM »
2 of my kids are running school track this spring. It's kind of brutal to watch. We were there for 3 hours yesterday and there was about 90 seconds of action between them. They run the 200m and the 100m + the relays.

But my favorite part is what parents scream from the stands. It's like 'RUN! RUN! GO! RUN! DON'T STOP!'  Like, wtf, you thought they were going to stop?

The things parents yell at kid sporting events almost needs it's own thread. Also, it's amaze how few people know the rules of sports (specifically baseball). I was working a JV game (these kids are 16!) baseball game yesterday. I called time to clean the plate, the catcher asked me how many time outs each team gets per game.

tbf, there are probably different tourneys these kids play in over summer like legion or aau that might have some time out limits

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 14, 2023, 08:57:19 PM »
I went to my nephew's (10 years old) game and the umpire didn't show up so the league called in some 16 year old who got there as fast as he could, but the game was delayed about 30 minutes.  The parents immediately being giving him crap over every call.  It was infuriating to watch.  I can't believe that kid showed up.

maybe I'm being high and mighty here but we'd send a parent to the parking lot for crap like that immediately. actually our own parents would regulate it before it got to the point of being a problem.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 14, 2023, 08:59:40 PM »
we tell our catchers that the first time they go out there they are supposed to introduce themselves to the blue and give them a fist and last pitch of the game they need to take off their helmets off and thank them for their work.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 14, 2023, 09:05:41 PM »
unless they eff up balls and strikes obviously then it's "UP YOURS BLUE!"

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 14, 2023, 09:08:01 PM »
we tell our catchers that the first time they go out there they are supposed to introduce themselves to the blue and give them a fist and last pitch of the game they need to take off their helmets off and thank them for their work.
This is the adult version of dabbing. So pure

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 14, 2023, 09:08:14 PM »
stone coached consecutive back to back pony 4 Manhattan city league champs for his frat and if any parents acted up their kids got a solid benching and I would refuse to smile at them

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 28, 2023, 09:18:36 PM »
played 4 this weekend. ended up 2-2 and both the losses we had secured with a lead but melted down. these kids are 9 and 10 years old. they took it really bad though, lots of big emotions. big holding themselves responsible, big tears, the works. played incredible baseball and also made some errors and hit into outs and whatnot because it's baseball. wouldn't trade it for anything. gonna be much better men because of these weekends imo. me as well.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 28, 2023, 09:20:35 PM »

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile