Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 33763 times)

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #575 on: February 10, 2023, 08:15:20 AM »
Katdaddy no! Those also look like they could be used for sexy time with the Mrs.  :fatty:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 10, 2023, 12:11:39 PM »
Katdaddy no! Those also look like they could be used for sexy time with the Mrs.  :fatty:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 10, 2023, 12:24:31 PM »
lol

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
competitive little kid sports
« Reply #578 on: April 01, 2023, 09:58:53 PM »
We’re playing in a classic NE spring 25 degree 10u baseball tournament and check out the frame my ace just tossed

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 01, 2023, 10:01:06 PM »
We were up 7-0 and we brought in another kid to finish it out and he immediately walked around 3 runs and had a shitload of waterfowl on the lake before we finally sweatily shut it down with the 7-3 W

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 02, 2023, 05:45:41 AM »
We’re playing in a classic NE spring 25 degree 10u baseball tournament and check out the frame my ace just tossed

He struck out 9 in a row and then gave up a walk and got yanked?!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 02, 2023, 07:35:34 AM »
I will be driving to New Haven, CT for two water polo games today

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 02, 2023, 07:38:55 AM »
Also I've been following women's college water polo this season and it's such a great wild sport. I kind of want to start a thread about it because there is not much discussion of it anywhere (somewhat understandable)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 02, 2023, 08:22:57 AM »
last ever predawn drive to a volleyball tournament was this morning- enjoy it why it lasts

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 02, 2023, 09:11:43 AM »
Also I've been following women's college water polo this season and it's such a great wild sport. I kind of want to start a thread about it because there is not much discussion of it anywhere (somewhat understandable)

I knew you had a daughter playing water polo. I know you live in New York. When you discussed this before, in my mind y'all were still in California. Water Polo in the northeast blows my mind.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 02, 2023, 10:04:52 AM »

I knew you had a daughter playing water polo. I know you live in New York. When you discussed this before, in my mind y'all were still in California. Water Polo in the northeast blows my mind.

It's a pretty popular high school sport in Pennsylvania, and a lot of the New England boarding schools have it as well as Greenwich, CT, but that's about it for schools which makes solid clubs kind of difficult. (Outside of Greenwich which is just an insane place - they have a ton of resources and are always easily the best club outside of California.) Last summer my daughter played on a "super" club team with girls from Connecticut, Maryland, and all states between. She'll be doing the same with a different club this summer as most of that team aged up but she didn't.

On the college side in the northeast, the MAAC has a pretty fun lower-tier water polo conference and the CWPA has Princeton, Brown, Harvard, and Michigan. Indiana used to be in that conference but moved to the MPSF which is all California schools + ASU. Seems dumb by them but maybe it helps recruit California kids? But I think they had to make 7 west coast trips this season. Fun fact is the best D3 team, Pomona-Pitzer (which is two colleges combined) is ranked in the Division 1 top 25 and actually beat Indiana this season.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 02, 2023, 10:15:07 AM »
Also I forgot to mention my daughter primarily practices with high school boys which is great for her TBH (and makes me roll my eyes when people complain about trans girls putting the safety of players at risk). A lot of meatball Russians in Brooklyn that are into water polo. There's actually two Brooklyn water polo clubs and one of them doesn't let girls play because they think they shouldn't.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 03, 2023, 08:01:47 AM »
I will be driving to New Haven, CT for two water polo games today
Update, it was a classic northeast water polo weekend.

There were 3 clubs, 2 of which my daughter had played with and she knew someone on the third. Neither of her 2 clubs had goalies so field players took turns. It was a shallow/deep pool which means the goal in the shallow end is a lot taller and if you use the floor of the pool to make a play it's a penalty - my daughter had a gorgeous play where she flew out of the water for a goal and the dumb ref thought she pushed off the floor and her coach had to be calmed down lol.

Game 1 my daughter's 16u team played a club with her 18u friends (including a D1 signee) and won by like 4. The second game had two of her 18u friends she played against in game 1 switched to play with the second club to make it more competitive. My daughter won 15-5 and my daughter got a quarter in goal! Her coach was encouraging her to practice half court shots and had some pretty great goals doing it. All in all good times.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 03, 2023, 11:09:06 AM »
It was a shallow/deep pool which means the goal in the shallow end is a lot taller and if you use the floor of the pool to make a play it's a penalty - my daughter had a gorgeous play where she flew out of the water for a goal and the dumb ref thought she pushed off the floor and her coach had to be calmed down lol.

This sounds infuriating as almost any enforcement seems like a guess.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 03, 2023, 12:09:56 PM »
It was a shallow/deep pool which means the goal in the shallow end is a lot taller and if you use the floor of the pool to make a play it's a penalty - my daughter had a gorgeous play where she flew out of the water for a goal and the dumb ref thought she pushed off the floor and her coach had to be calmed down lol.

It happened way less than you might expect. I think I saw it called 3 or 4 times in 2 games. My daughter practices in a shallow/deep pool so she's kinda used to it. There is plenty more that goes on in the water that refs miss all the time so that judgement call isn't much of an issue, it's just an interesting rule.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 03, 2023, 12:15:07 PM »

It happened way less than you might expect. I think I saw it called 3 or 4 times in 2 games. My daughter practices in a shallow/deep pool so she's kinda used to it. There is plenty more that goes on in the water that refs miss all the time so that judgement call isn't much of an issue, it's just an interesting rule.

The underwater cameras in the Olympics made water polo really entertaining to watch.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 03, 2023, 02:04:01 PM »
Our blues are almost all like HS age kids (really nice, eff up calls all day, don’t know all the rules) or old retired guys (really mean, eff up calls all day, know all the rules). I give the kids a lot of grace and never argue calls. I give the old guys a lot of grace and never argue calls but talk crap about them with the other coaches.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 03, 2023, 02:05:48 PM »
Unless they have good banter with my catcher, then they are basically my BFF no matter how mean and shitty they are. You joke around with a 9 yo catcher and you can eff up calls all day imo.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 03, 2023, 03:32:50 PM »
Our blues are almost all like HS age kids (really nice, eff up calls all day, don’t know all the rules) or old retired guys (really mean, eff up calls all day, know all the rules). I give the kids a lot of grace and never argue calls. I give the old guys a lot of grace and never argue calls but talk crap about them with the other coaches.

This is the way

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 03, 2023, 03:43:22 PM »
I barely know any water polo rules so I mostly ask questions. "Wait why was that a foul?"

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 07, 2023, 10:54:27 AM »
2 of my kids are running school track this spring. It's kind of brutal to watch. We were there for 3 hours yesterday and there was about 90 seconds of action between them. They run the 200m and the 100m + the relays.

But my favorite part is what parents scream from the stands. It's like 'RUN! RUN! GO! RUN! DON'T STOP!'  Like, wtf, you thought they were going to stop?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 07, 2023, 11:53:43 AM »
Yell at the other kids to stop imo

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 14, 2023, 09:43:54 AM »
One of the local youth baseball clubs has this as their Facebook group photo, so dorky and pure. Love it.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 14, 2023, 10:12:55 AM »
2 of my kids are running school track this spring. It's kind of brutal to watch. We were there for 3 hours yesterday and there was about 90 seconds of action between them. They run the 200m and the 100m + the relays.

But my favorite part is what parents scream from the stands. It's like 'RUN! RUN! GO! RUN! DON'T STOP!'  Like, wtf, you thought they were going to stop?

I remember playing youth baseball and one of the kids' mom would always yell "Get the lead out of your ass!" every time he was running the bases.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 14, 2023, 12:43:15 PM »

decent umpires get moved off of little kid games really fast. anyone decent will be working 14u in no time because they are so short on umpires.