Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 36350 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #500 on: September 23, 2022, 05:33:17 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 23, 2022, 05:42:15 PM »
you've barely pegged me at all irl

hubba hubba

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 23, 2022, 08:28:33 PM »
SD spending all his money on bats and catchers equipment to the point he can’t even furnish rooms! That’s dedication
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 14, 2022, 09:52:20 AM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 14, 2022, 10:03:13 AM »
Absolute kayos (?)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 14, 2022, 10:17:52 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/reel/603674008023331?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I've said it before but baseball should be the very last sport we introduce kids to. How it became the first sport most kids in the country were introduced to is kind of mind-boggling.

(obv soccer is probably the first sport for most kids now but not in Kansas when I was a kid)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 07, 2022, 07:59:20 PM »
Any elite kid sports coaches with recommendations /tips/resources about teaching kids to stop shooting a two handed push shot and start to shoot a basketball properly?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 07, 2022, 08:07:45 PM »
Any elite kid sports coaches with recommendations /tips/resources about teaching kids to stop shooting a two handed push shot and start to shoot a basketball properly?

Not elite, but if they are young, don’t worry about it.

Offensively, Get them good at ball-handling, passing, cutting and screening, and especially driving! Lots of 1 v 1, 2 v 2, 3 v 3.

Teach them spacing 4-out or 5-out.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline husserl

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 07, 2022, 10:04:07 PM »
Appropriately sized ball, short goal. Have them balance the ball/shoot one handed now and then until they get the basics of the motion. Generally though nicname is correct as far as emphasis goes, especially with early focus on ball handling and short sided games.

I'd recommend Brian Mccormick books to anybody doing any coaching.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
competitive little kid sports
« Reply #509 on: December 07, 2022, 10:47:30 PM »
As the coach of an all girls co-ed 6u team I can say with confidence that just out aggressiveness’ing the other team is 100% of the battle and two handed push shots are actually cool and chill.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 07, 2022, 10:57:13 PM »
That’s not a good shot? Well the scoreboard (older brother keeping tally in the stands because we don’t keep official score at this age) says 22-4’ish so maybe shut your dang mouth.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 07, 2022, 11:00:33 PM »
FYI I coach my daughters 6u team irl. Co-ed league but our team is all girls and mostly the younger sisters of lil sd’s baseball team boys. They are absolutely tough as crap and have dominated every team we’ve played so far, mostly all boys. Having older brothers is like doing 15 years of steroids for little girls.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 08, 2022, 12:08:07 AM »
This guy has a great coaching blog. Look for the posts about whatever level of basketball is applicable.

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/haefner/

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 08, 2022, 05:24:41 AM »
Appropriately sized ball, short goal. Have them balance the ball/shoot one handed now and then until they get the basics of the motion. Generally though nicname is correct as far as emphasis goes, especially with early focus on ball handling and short sided games.

I'd recommend Brian Mccormick books to anybody doing any coaching.

Yes! Brian McCormick is the best basketball coaching resource there is and what he says really applies to all sports. His books are totally worth it and he's also an interesting Twitter follow.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 08, 2022, 05:30:57 AM »
Also what age and goal/ball are we talking here? If the league is third graders with a 10 foot goal I'd probably skip shooting form because they just aren't strong enough. If it's just a kid at home lower the goal and do a smaller ball and do one hand shooting really close to the basket to get started.

but if kids continue to play they generally seem to transition to proper form as they get stronger and taller.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 08, 2022, 08:33:07 AM »
Also what age and goal/ball are we talking here? If the league is third graders with a 10 foot goal I'd probably skip shooting form because they just aren't strong enough. If it's just a kid at home lower the goal and do a smaller ball and do one hand shooting really close to the basket to get started.

but if kids continue to play they generally seem to transition to proper form as they get stronger and taller.
Thanks for the tips, folks.

I have a 9yo player. This is her first year to do organized b-ball. She seems pretty motivated to work on her skills (moreso than her older sibs who have migrated to other sports). They will play their games on 10' goals with the same ball that HS girls use. We have an adjustable goal at home.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 08, 2022, 08:43:33 AM »
floor shooting with one of a ball like this is how the muscle memory for an elite shooter is made.  this is the smallest one i saw in a quick amazon search and the smaller the better
https://www.amazon.com/SportimeMax-Hands-Junior-Basketball-Inches/dp/B0042SYZ48/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=38FBD7J11MQ9N&keywords=basketball+with+hand+placement&qid=1670510393&sprefix=%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-8

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 08, 2022, 09:06:35 AM »
FYI I coach my daughters 6u team irl. Co-ed league but our team is all girls and mostly the younger sisters of lil sd’s baseball team boys. They are absolutely tough as crap and have dominated every team we’ve played so far, mostly all boys. Having older brothers is like doing 15 years of steroids for little girls.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched a little kid dominate and then figured out who her family is in the stands, and yep, she has an older bro.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 08, 2022, 09:08:03 AM »
There's a girl on my daughter's 5th grade basketball team and soccer team who dominates. She is always late to practice, never has a ball, usually forgets water, never has the right shoes for the given sport, but she dominates. Yes, she is the youngest of like 5 kids with several bros.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 08, 2022, 09:20:27 AM »

Thanks for the tips, folks.

I have a 9yo player. This is her first year to do organized b-ball. She seems pretty motivated to work on her skills (moreso than her older sibs who have migrated to other sports). They will play their games on 10' goals with the same ball that HS girls use. We have an adjustable goal at home.

it sounds like you're not coaching, but I would focus on layups and dribbling at that age (and defense against dribbling). As soon as you can try to get her dribbling with two balls - different sized balls is great! Between the legs and behind the back are essential skills (and not showboating like some small town KS coaches might think) and can also be done with two balls which is a fun skill.

if you need a drill, something like this is fantastic (don't spend much time doing layup lines or stressing about form IMO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RFDFy3o5rM

as are things like tag dribbling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G97jXWXi71k

and you can do a lot of variations of tag. I will echo the small-sided games comments: do 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 far more than 5v5. And any time you aren't doing some sort of scrimmage have as many kids either moving with a ball or defending someone with a ball as possible

Offline husserl

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 08, 2022, 09:32:00 AM »
downside to reading McCormick is that a lot of youth coaches will tend to drive you insane

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 08, 2022, 09:33:19 AM »
i agree with Micat on focusing on layups for little kids and add my opinion is don't stress too much on how they shoot them as long as they don't travel.  For some kids a jump stop type layup off 2 feet will be more comfortable (especially so for the gymnastics girls) and just let them do it how they feel comfortable at young ages. 

my experience is most youth games are a basically a prison rules with few fouls called so you want you players to take shots they can make with zero hesitation.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 08, 2022, 09:40:22 AM »
downside to reading McCormick is that a lot of youth coaches will tend to drive you insane
Yes the solution is to coach yourself

Which leads to parents driving you insane

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 08, 2022, 09:41:44 AM »
Yes the solution is to coach yourself

Which leads to parents driving you insane
The true worst part of coaching kids sports

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 08, 2022, 09:45:10 AM »
also be honest with yourself on if coaching your own kid is best for your kid - it probably was not the best thing for me to coach my youngest