Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 33785 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
competitive little kid sports
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2020, 08:52:02 PM »
MHK seems like the perfect bike sized town for a kid. Tons to explore and do. But not so big you’re riding for 45 minutes before you’re even out of the suburbs. If lil sd started riding he’d be in the 45 minute camp before he got to anything more interesting than a suburban ballfield or sports bar with Big Buck Hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2020, 09:02:40 PM »
yes. my kids currently bike throughout the neighborhood, but they will be tearing up the town on their bikes in like 4 years.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2020, 10:15:59 PM »
Probably just a pretty average dad. That kid does ride the crap out of his bike though. Yla was not fabricating that gE content.

I’m no authority, but place great value in parents trusting kids to operate unsupervised.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2020, 10:30:36 PM »
Probably just a pretty average dad. That kid does ride the crap out of his bike though. Yla was not fabricating that gE content.

I’m no authority, but place great value in parents trusting kids to operate unsupervised.

That's real different if you have young girls. It's also different if you have kids who are reckless a.f., like totally oblivious to the world. I have one of those.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2020, 10:46:28 PM »
We let our daughters ride bikes wherever they wanted to at 11 or 12. Kinda depended on strength and responsibility of them. They also started riding the city bus at that age at least within town which I'm kinda jealous that they have (or at least had when they could go places)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2020, 07:52:42 AM »

That's real different if you have young girls. It's also different if you have kids who are reckless a.f., like totally oblivious to the world. I have one of those.

For me, I don’t think it would make much difference. I could be wrong in that assumption.

I also tend to maybe oversimplify the world as a safe place for kids, because my world (pop. 2000 North Central KS town) was basically a playground for kids of any age to do anything.

It’s gotten me into trouble as an adult. For instance dropping my 7 year old son off at the pool by himself while I ran errands (I planned to go back and join him in a couple hours). The pool here didn’t allow unsupervised kids under 9 at the pool. My kid simply left, walked to his grandmas beauty salon several blocks away, and I caught endless crap — rightfully so.

Note: I carried this confidence to explore elsewhere as well, always wandering off in malls and stores, getting “lost” and freaking my relatives out as a 12 year old wandering the streets of SF.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2020, 08:06:39 AM »
We let our daughters ride bikes wherever they wanted to at 11 or 12. Kinda depended on strength and responsibility of them. They also started riding the city bus at that age at least within town which I'm kinda jealous that they have (or at least had when they could go places)

Reminds me of Jonathan Haidt telling Joe Rogan he lets his 8-year-old daughter run around Greenwich Village on her own and blowing Joe’s mind.

Similarly, when my dad was 10-11, he would go around SF, making money sharpening knives for people, then use it to buy bus or train tickets to Candlestick
then using the rest for a ticket to Giants games, which he attended alone or with his little brother.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 08:10:16 AM by nicname »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2020, 08:16:38 AM »
when I was like 10 my parents would let me ride my bike 2.5 miles on a highway to Meade to play pool and arcade games at the local burger place (number 1 of 5 eateries in Meade, KS https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g38894-d1171571-Reviews-Bob_s_Drive_In-Meade_Kansas.html) . Also I had to walk home if I got in trouble and had to stay after school. I'd cut through a dryland field though so it was closer to 2 miles. also don't do that because walking on farm ground is like being stuck in mud but I was a kid so obviously a huge idiot.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »
There was a thread on shaggy once about a guy asking if he was a bad parent because he went to the grocery store and left his 11yr old daughter home alone (security system on of course) and the responses were about equally mixed and I was pretty shocked because I started coming home to an empty house after school in first grade.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2020, 08:47:16 AM »
There was a thread on shaggy once about a guy asking if he was a bad parent because he went to the grocery store and left his 11yr old daughter home alone (security system on of course) and the responses were about equally mixed and I was pretty shocked because I started coming home to an empty house after school in first grade.

my kids are riding the bus this year, 3rd and 1st grade.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2020, 09:25:39 AM »

And look how you turned out.

j/k

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2020, 09:29:00 AM »
Have you ever noticed that about 95% of the people who post pics of paddles and belts on Facebook and brag that their parents beat the crap out of them when they were kids and they turned out "just fine" are really kind of mumped up mental cases?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2020, 10:05:28 AM »
Have you ever noticed that about 95% of the people who post pics of paddles and belts on Facebook and brag that their parents beat the crap out of them when they were kids and they turned out "just fine" are really kind of mumped up mental cases?

I think people that post about parenting on social media in general are weirdos. Unless it’s asking for advice or something like that.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2020, 10:07:49 AM »

And look how you turned out.

j/k

I know!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »
Yeah.. I think it's awesome. I've had buddies tell me they spot them and they thinks its great as well.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2020, 04:45:10 PM »

I think people that post about parenting on social media in general are weirdos. Unless it’s asking for advice or something like that.

I’m a blah, blah, but most of all I’m a DAD and a HUSBAND who loves his family!!!!!!!!!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2020, 04:23:50 PM »
Nicname Jr finally got the bat he’s been pining for!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2020, 04:24:13 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2020, 04:36:55 PM »
That thing is a monster

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2020, 04:39:58 PM »
We lost in the semi final today for spring ball(delayed season obv). Had a “baseball dad” coach on the other team. Main ump had to come in from the complex and make him stfu. Lotta that in my future I assume. Not my scene at all. May kick his entire ass when not in front of kids and families and grandparents though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2020, 04:45:12 PM »
Or get my entire ass kicked. He was pretty beefy. Could go either way.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2020, 04:51:45 PM »
What was baseball guy dad saying

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2020, 04:53:44 PM »
We had an ump kick out an opposing team dad this season for multiple loud f-bombs directed at said ump and  co-ump. Was pretty humorous, but also   :surprised:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 05:03:20 PM by nicname »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2020, 05:00:50 PM »
What was baseball guy dad saying
Yelling at our junior ump (18’ish yo girl) about calls, yelling “why this if last inning that!?”, pushing the boundaries of 6/7 yo baseball rules. I’m definitely a “have fun” dad which probably doesn’t bode well for my son’s competitive future though.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2020, 05:10:57 PM »
That thing is a monster

Yes, it’s a little too long 31 inches, but it’s only -10 and he will grow into the length. I thought it prob most practical to get like a 30/22 or 29/21, but who care about transitioning to -5 in 2 years anyway? I want him to have as much fun hitting now as possible.

His previous bat was the crappy USA Baseball certified, which are specifically designed to mimick Wood bats (smaller sweet spot, less pop, less forgiving). All the other kids on his team had regular usssa bats and were ripping liners off the end and knob all the time. I had no idea when I bought it.

Usssa bats average about 3.5% more exit velocity and 15-20 feet more distance on contact.