Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 33760 times)

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2020, 04:54:35 PM »
I know you're a professional drinker, SD, but I found quarter pounder, fries, and a sweet tea a quick cure for a level 6 hangover.

Back to travel ball discussion.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2020, 07:59:35 PM »
While delicious sounding, I'm not sure that's going to help much while chasing baseballs around in the heat of a plains summer day. Yuck :Yuck:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2020, 09:01:37 PM »
kids travel sports just seem to be money making operations
at lil sd’s age I cannot help but believe his time would be better spent with sd rather than stanky jim the travel 7 yr old kid baseball coach

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2020, 08:45:57 AM »
My first kid did a variety of different sports and activities, none for very long or taken very seriously. When she got into jr high, she picked something new on her own and LOVES it. It's totally her thing and obviously will be throughout high school. I feel like that worked out really well.

I wonder about maybe trying a different approach with my second kid, who just started 4th grade. Maybe I'll just be like, "Swimming or tennis? Pick one." And just force him to go to lessons and competitions for the next 4-5 years with the idea that he'll do it in high school because I'll basically force him to.

I'll probably just do the same as I did with the first kid. I do wonder about it, though.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2020, 08:52:06 AM »
kids travel sports just seem to be money making operations

yeah thinking about it the only people who would benefit from U8 travel baseball are paid travel coaches and tournament operators and suburban Des Moines hoteliers.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2020, 09:28:26 AM »
My first kid did a variety of different sports and activities, none for very long or taken very seriously. When she got into jr high, she picked something new on her own and LOVES it. It's totally her thing and obviously will be throughout high school. I feel like that worked out really well.

I wonder about maybe trying a different approach with my second kid, who just started 4th grade. Maybe I'll just be like, "Swimming or tennis? Pick one." And just force him to go to lessons and competitions for the next 4-5 years with the idea that he'll do it in high school because I'll basically force him to.

I'll probably just do the same as I did with the first kid. I do wonder about it, though.

Your second kid will never play in Wimbledon with that attitude.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2020, 12:04:27 PM »
I have two boys. One has played a ton of sports included traveling baseball his whole life and the other one played only one year of tball when he was in kindergarten.  Why is that? One wanted to play all those different sports and the other absolutely did not. So here’s a hot take- if your kid wants to do competitive baseball and is good enough and you have the money and think it would be a decent time, then let him. If any of those things aren’t true then don’t.

Also and for a million reasons, yes to multiple sports if sports are something he’s kind of into.

Honest question, no judgement from me to anyone posting here but at 7 did your kid play travel sports instead of rec sports and if so, how did they make the distinction? Don't kids at that age just want to play with their friends?

The last sentence is the saddest part. Most kids don’t really play anymore. They don’t run around. They don’t play sandlot sports or pickup. They don’t learn all the social crap they need to learn and sort out on their own. Most basically sit at home and get shuffled from activity to activity. Imo kids need to be free range to an extent. The old “get out of here after lunch and don’t come back until dinner.”

Mir response- age seven was his first year of travel baseball. There were two travel teams in mhk for that age. Seven boys (his closest friends) in his grade school class played on one of those two teams, five on his team and two kids played on the other team. So yeah he was playing with his friends. My kid made the team because he was pretty athletic and I knew the dad putting it together. Anybody can play city league. Traveling you either have to try out or know someone. Usually both.  Hilariously enough, they had a hostile take over by one of the parents at the end of the year. three kids got cut, the team changed names and old coach was out. Mine was one that got cut. He just ended up going and playing for the other team. Little kid travel baseball is hilariously serious and I was not prepared for the weirdness of it all all. About 1/2 of baseball parents are rough ridin' insane. Overall it’s been pretty great though. It allowed him to meet and play and hangout with a million kids his age from all over town and even outside of town at an early age. Every year I warn him that he’s going to have to start taking it more seriously and improve if he wants to keep playing traveling ball because his bat is on the weak side and hitting is a fairly important part of baseball. He keeps making traveling teams though and keeps wanting to play so I indulge him on it. At some point in time though his good won’t be good enough and baseball will be over. I’m guessing 10th grade but who knows. It’s mainly a social thing for him and I think there’s also some mhk street cred that comes with playing traveling ball but who knows. From a personal standpoint I am old with not a ton of close friends in mhk and almost non existent hobbies so the tournaments on a weekend don’t really bother me like it would some parents.

Nickname response- idk. I personally don’t see that. At least not with my kids or their bros in our neighborhood. Not to say that it isn’t true to a larger extent but even when my kids were young they had friends and would be outside and going from house to house and yard to yard 24/7. Reminded me exactly of my youth/

Also, some of you guys are dorks. Most traveling Baseball teams are just run by dads who like their kids and like baseball. Also, you don’t have to sign a contract stating that you will no longer play catch with your kid or show interest in them if they belong to a team. My kid is 13, baseball was done with over a month ago and we just went outside the other day and played catch for a good thirty minutes. Good grief on this either/or stuff.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:33:22 PM by Dr Rick Daris »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2020, 01:50:23 PM »
most people have limited time to dedicate to kids sports but not rowdy boy rick daris i guess is the point of that post

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »

Also, some of you guys are dorks. Most traveling Baseball teams are just run by dads who like their kids and like baseball. Also, you don’t have to sign a contract stating that you will no longer play catch with your kid or show interest in them if they belong to a team. My kid is 13, baseball was done with over a month ago and we just went outside the other day and played catch for a good thirty minutes. Good grief on this either/or stuff.

You shouldn't take our thoughts as attacks on what you did - you know your son and situation better than we ever could and I'm sure you made good choices. But I don't think it's dorky to stop and look at the dynamic SD and Lil sd have now and wonder why you would change that  Who gains what? What's lost if they wait a year or two?

Also having a bunch of friends on the team is a pretty good reason to join a more competitive team. Our daughter that's into swim took a summer off, then came back and her good friends in the group got promoted up and now she never wants to take any time off of swimming at all so I totally get it

Also also I bet there's a pretty wide range in travel team commitments and sd might have been exaggerate the commitment requirement juuuuust a bit.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2020, 03:41:00 PM »
Good coaching in youth baseball is rare and is what should be valued.  In my area travel ball academies that you tryout and pay to play for that are usually coached by a kid fresh off his small timey college career, they have an indoor facility and range from average to crap in terms of competitiveness.  The best coaches usually have their own team with their son on it and attract the best players because they win and everybody wants to play for them, these teams cost less to play for cuz no coach or facility or profit margin to pay for.  Parents of studs generally don't pay the academy upcharge.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2020, 03:52:51 PM »
As has been said a bazillion times itt, the parents are the worst part.

@RD - yeah, I know it isn’t all neighborhoods. I just wish I saw more of it. Free, unsupervised play, whether sports or just doing whatever outside is where kids get a lot of development.

The absolute worst thing to see is coach/dad ruining the sport for their own kid by being too serious.

A big part of me feels bad that nicname jr didn’t grow up in a small town like sd, I and others did. It takes most of the bs out of it. You just play on the team (all your bros anyway) or don’t. No better feeling as a kid imo.

@MakeItRain is spot on. Pay for play imo is generally terrible for a bazillion reasons.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2020, 04:27:22 PM »
I ran around more when I was a kid in a small town but also outside of summer baseball there weren't really organized sports in my town until junior high. Kids where I live start organized soccer at like 4 and get overscheduled early and also parents are really worried about their kids getting kidnapped and molested at the local park.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »
Based on my casual observations, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a strong correlation between unsupervised outdoor play with other kids and athletic ability.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2020, 04:33:19 PM »
I ran around more when I was a kid in a small town but also outside of summer baseball there weren't really organized sports in my town until junior high. Kids where I live start organized soccer at like 4 and get overscheduled early and also parents are really worried about their kids getting kidnapped and molested at the local park.

#savethechildren

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2020, 04:35:51 PM »
most people have limited time to dedicate to kids sports but not rowdy boy rick daris i guess is the point of that post

The point was that it made/makes sense for him/us. My other kid doesn’t play a single sport at all and never has. that also makes sense for him/us.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2020, 04:53:25 PM »

You shouldn't take our thoughts as attacks on what you did - you know your son and situation better than we ever could and I'm sure you made good choices. But I don't think it's dorky to stop and look at the dynamic SD and Lil sd have now and wonder why you would change that  Who gains what? What's lost if they wait a year or two?

Also having a bunch of friends on the team is a pretty good reason to join a more competitive team. Our daughter that's into swim took a summer off, then came back and her good friends in the group got promoted up and now she never wants to take any time off of swimming at all so I totally get it

Also also I bet there's a pretty wide range in travel team commitments and sd might have been exaggerate the commitment requirement juuuuust a bit.

I didn’t take anything as an attack at all. Overall it’s been a positive for him and for the most part I’ve enjoyed it as well. I don’t take it seriously either though. It’s a fun hobby for he and I, but he’ll be pretty lucky to even make the high school team based on his skill and level of give a crap.

I was just saying that it doesn’t have to be either/or. Too many people were talking like you could either continue to play catch with your kid and do stuff with them or get super serious and hand them over to some nazi travel team and never interact with them again. That’s silly. He’s also done a billion other sports and has started and stopped all of them at some point in time except baseball. Tackle football for two years then stopped. No football for two. Then flag football for one. Wrestled for two and then stopped for two and then wrestled again last year. He plays if he wants and doesn’t it he doesn’t. Not my life so I have no real opinion.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2020, 04:59:35 PM »

I didn’t take anything as an attack at all. Overall it’s been a positive for him and for the most part I’ve enjoyed it as well. I don’t take it seriously either though. It’s a fun hobby for he and I, but he’ll be pretty lucky to even make the high school team based on his skill and level of give a crap.

I was just saying that it doesn’t have to be either/or. Too many people were talking like you could either continue to play catch with your kid and do stuff with them or get super serious and hand them over to some nazi travel team and never interact with them again. That’s silly. He’s also done a billion other sports and has started and stopped all of them at some point in time except baseball. Tackle football for two years then stopped. No football for two. Then flag football for one. Wrestled for two and then stopped for two and then wrestled again last year. He plays if he wants and doesn’t it he doesn’t. Not my life so I have no real opinion.
Not to mention those little bastards bike all over this town

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2020, 05:19:49 PM »
I was just saying that it doesn’t have to be either/or. Too many people were talking like you could either continue to play catch with your kid and do stuff with them or get super serious and hand them over to some nazi travel team and never interact with them again. That’s silly.

of course it's not a 100% either/or but increasing the amount of time dedicated to "serious" practice will likely change the dynamic in some way and that's worth considering. also clams' stanky jim the baseball coach post was funny

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2020, 06:28:01 PM »

Word. It sucks.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2020, 06:31:06 PM »

I think you make really good distinction between the types of “club” teams there are and the different types of experience. I hope my word diarrhea didn’t come of as either or.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2020, 06:34:06 PM »

:emawkid:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2020, 06:46:18 PM »
If we all lived in the same town, I’m confident that team #gE would have to most fun and be very successful. It would be the team all the kids would want to play on.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2020, 07:09:07 AM »

Haha. I’ve probably had five different adults come up to me and tell me that they saw little daris on his bike down by the mall or something and act surprised and definitely look down on me and the fact that I would let him have free range of the town with his bros on their bikes.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2020, 10:23:50 AM »

Haha. I’ve probably had five different adults come up to me and tell me that they saw little daris on his bike down by the mall or something and act surprised and definitely look down on me and the fact that I would let him have free range of the town with his bros on their bikes.

You’re an awesome dad, rd.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2020, 08:30:25 PM »
Probably just a pretty average dad. That kid does ride the crap out of his bike though. Yla was not fabricating that gE content.