Author Topic: Athletes Forcing Change  (Read 94657 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Athletes Forcing Change
« Reply #475 on: July 08, 2020, 05:29:15 PM »
Would Jaden pass the character and fitness part of the bar exam process?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 08, 2020, 05:31:46 PM »

You seem to be the only person with that interpretation, I'm not going to try to figure out your agenda for making such a dubious interpretation.

My agenda is the same as KSU’s: educate some fools.

Yup. Also, they could've used this as an education moment and had him have to take an African American history course and make it a pre-req for graduation. They control after all how you get a degree.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 08, 2020, 05:35:39 PM »

You seem to be the only person with that interpretation, I'm not going to try to figure out your agenda for making such a dubious interpretation.

My agenda is the same as KSU’s: educate some fools.

Yup. Also, they could've used this as an education moment and had him have to take an African American history course and make it a pre-req for graduation. They control after all how you get a degree.
Adding something like that to the core curriculum would be a great step, IMO.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 08, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »
 The only thing that will actually fix the problem is society not accepting racism, not implementing rules against it. Which I recognize is being attempted. Hopefully all this will cause people to speak out more often to their friends/family that have racist tendencies. That's a big slow boat to turn around though, as history shows. However racism has clearly receded over decades and I expect it will continue to do so, although doubtful to ever truly die. Maybe all this can accelerate the process? We can only hope.

But I guess what I'm saying is that I still support the right for dumbass people to say dumbass things within the confines of law. Society itself has to defeat small minds, and IMO, it's very important to keep our rights intact during that process.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 08, 2020, 05:43:55 PM »
Personally I don't think there is anything to solve. Racist speech should not be punished by the government.

Why not?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: July 08, 2020, 05:53:12 PM »

The only thing that will actually fix the problem is society not accepting racism, not implementing rules against it.

Rules might not be best way in your opinion but they could definitely help.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 08, 2020, 06:01:07 PM »

The only thing that will actually fix the problem is society not accepting racism, not implementing rules against it.
It could quiet it to some degree, but winning over minds is the real prize. I don't think rules really affect that.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 08, 2020, 06:06:17 PM »
Personally I don't think there is anything to solve. Racist speech should not be punished by the government.

Why not?

Wow

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 08, 2020, 06:07:10 PM »

It could quiet it to some degree, but winning over minds is the real prize. I don't think rules really affect that.

If you force knuckleheads like Jaden underground or off campus you definitely make it more difficult for them to organize and get attention. I'm sure he would attract lots of folks who go College Republicans -> TPUSA -> America First who might have just stopped at College Republicans if the America First wasn't an option

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #484 on: July 08, 2020, 06:43:05 PM »
You can't educate someone old enough to be in college away from being a racist.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 08, 2020, 07:01:03 PM »
Depends on your definition of educate, but racists aren’t irredeemable, ideologically, imo.  Whether that’s a fight worth fighting is a different matter.

College students are crazy impressionable though.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 08, 2020, 07:04:41 PM »
Depends on your definition of educate, but racists aren’t irredeemable, ideologically, imo.  Whether that’s a fight worth fighting is a different matter.

yeah I don't understand how chings is coming up with this. I've definitely evolved on race relations since I left college. Granted it wasn't necessarily driven by someone "educating" me, but learning and listening was part of it.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #487 on: July 08, 2020, 07:13:01 PM »

By educate, I mean someone representing the University providing material to a student with the intent to teach them something.

I don't believe in the excuse of ignorance as a true cause of racism for anyone raised (except for extremely extenuating circumstances) in this country.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 08, 2020, 07:21:08 PM »

By educate, I mean someone representing the University providing material to a student with the intent to teach them something.

I don't believe in the excuse of ignorance as a true cause of racism for anyone raised (except for extremely extenuating circumstances) in this country.

You're probably right on the first part, but I disagree on the second - again, depends on your definition of "racist". I think there are plenty of casual dog-whistley racists that are that way because they never interacted with minorities.

I'd say an example is when I grew up I used the phrase "jewed him down" quite a bit. I didn't know any Jews or really understand why it was wrong! I probably even used it in college. I don't use that phrase any more.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 08, 2020, 07:35:36 PM »
A huge piece of racism can be educated away. Very few racists actively seek to oppress minorities. The vast majority just seek to perpetuate systems to their advantage either without knowing or being indifferent about the fact that they oppress minorities.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 08, 2020, 08:09:09 PM »

Why not?

Wow

Please sit this out, at the very least until I can get an answer to my question and I can rebut before you freak out about nothing. Thanks.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 09, 2020, 02:50:59 AM »

You're probably right on the first part, but I disagree on the second - again, depends on your definition of "racist". I think there are plenty of casual dog-whistley racists that are that way because they never interacted with minorities.

I'd say an example is when I grew up I used the phrase "jewed him down" quite a bit. I didn't know any Jews or really understand why it was wrong! I probably even used it in college. I don't use that phrase any more.

Goddam rusty and Stephen Jackson, two peas in a pod!
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 09, 2020, 07:53:35 AM »

Why not?

Wow

Please sit this out, at the very least until I can get an answer to my question and I can rebut before you freak out about nothing. Thanks.

Because I believe that freedom of speech is the cornerstone of a free society. Yes, there are some pretty specific limitations mostly dealing with breaking the law. I understand that you want to file racism in that category as well but it comes dangerously close to thought crime and that's just not something I can support.

If a person is being threatening or harrasing, that's a different discussion.

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 09, 2020, 08:53:01 AM »
A lot of racist speech is threatening or harassing. I think Jaden's tweet comes pretty close to harassment.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 09, 2020, 08:54:15 AM »
I don't think it comes anywhere near harassment
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 09, 2020, 08:57:12 AM »

agreed

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 09, 2020, 09:08:09 AM »

yeah. if he was going around saying it directly at people, i could see that being interpreted as harassment or fighting words. but since he just put it on twitter - where presumably twitter doesn't force you to see his content and you have to go seek it out - i think that just means he's confirming that he's a piece of crap.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 09, 2020, 09:11:24 AM »

agreed
Oddly enough, the people who would be the ones harassed disagree.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Athletes Forcing Change
« Reply #498 on: July 09, 2020, 09:11:45 AM »
I would think of harassment in terms of, would the aggrieved person have any chance of getting a restraining order from the alleged harasser?

When someone says shitty things about someone else that you saw on social media, you’ve got a tough case there.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 09, 2020, 09:19:04 AM »
You can't legislate morality
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.