Author Topic: 202x Coaching Carousel  (Read 89284 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: 202x Coaching Carousel
« Reply #850 on: December 07, 2022, 02:04:37 PM »
I mean, if we can afford to pay $6 million, we can afford $8 million. You guys are acting like Purdue is paying $20 million or something.

Likely yes, if Gene can raise the money they’ll pay him pretty much anything. No idea how the new TV contract will affect the budget, I’m not the resident budget guy here.

Also, I absolutely do not think Purdue is a threat to steal CK. Was just relaying what some random family members mentioned to me today, do not think they have any inside info on this.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: December 07, 2022, 02:15:58 PM »
I hasn’t heard that rumor. If true (and good on him if so) then I think he’s ours for the remainder. With a 12 team playoff on the way, Kleiman’s best chance of getting a natty before he retires is at Cats U.

This is a great point, along with this *is* his program now.  The overall environment seems to have a pretty good vibe and looks to be "a place to be" fball/bball wise for a while at least.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: December 07, 2022, 09:55:01 PM »
I mean, if we can afford to pay $6 million, we can afford $8 million. You guys are acting like Purdue is paying $20 million or something.

If he truly wants to stay here, he isn't going to ask for $8 million for his salary because he would want money for assistants and staff.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: December 07, 2022, 10:49:10 PM »

Likely yes, if Gene can raise the money they’ll pay him pretty much anything. No idea how the new TV contract will affect the budget, I’m not the resident budget guy here.

Also, I absolutely do not think Purdue is a threat to steal CK. Was just relaying what some random family members mentioned to me today, do not think they have any inside info on this.

They are just rough ridin' with you, knowing it would rile you up.  :thumbsup:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: December 07, 2022, 10:53:24 PM »

If he truly wants to stay here, he isn't going to ask for $8 million for his salary because he would want money for assistants and staff.

Sony Dykes is in the process of an extension with annual payments to be the highest in the conference, which is 7.5 million paid to Gundry at OSU. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: December 08, 2022, 05:23:46 AM »
We don’t know what Aranda makes, but it could very easily be more than Gundy. KU just gave Leipold 5 million a year so Klieman is going to get 6M at a minimum.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 08, 2022, 08:26:40 AM »
Does he have any ties to Purdue? Their fans seem oddly confident he would seriously consider it. I know they're not a bad program but they are meh city, imo
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 08, 2022, 08:36:50 AM »
We don’t know what Aranda makes, but it could very easily be more than Gundy. KU just gave Leipold 5 million a year so Klieman is going to get 6M at a minimum.

Gundy has been at OSU for 18 seasons, and he has the exact same amount of B12 titles as Kleiman

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 08, 2022, 08:40:11 AM »

Gundy has been at OSU for 18 seasons, and he has the exact same amount of B12 titles as Kleiman

and also exact same number of wins against Oklahoma (3)

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 08, 2022, 09:01:12 AM »
Purdue is the perfect job for Leipold, although I think he's personally invested in having his stamp on KU's stadium and facility upgrades.  That's a pretty rare opportunity in itself.  The average PU fan isn't going to be impressed with how the season ended, bowl results pending.  Also be interesting to see how KU does with the portal now they have a specific story to sell.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 08, 2022, 09:12:43 AM »

Absolutely no way that could possibly be true

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: December 08, 2022, 09:24:05 AM »
I looked at past OSU records and they weren't quite as impressive as I thought they were, although still pretty impressive.  OSU firing Gundy would be pretty sweet karma though.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 08, 2022, 09:31:23 AM »

LHC Bill Snyder coached for 25 years and only got two of them suckers and he is in the Hall of Fame!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 08, 2022, 11:38:47 AM »
I'd love for Gundy to win 6 or 7 next year and then get canned.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 08, 2022, 12:18:20 PM »
Does he have any ties to Purdue? Their fans seem oddly confident he would seriously consider it. I know they're not a bad program but they are meh city, imo

No. These mediocre Big 10 and SEC programs have a very inflated sense of what they are because all of the media hype and self-fellating. It's a lateral move and they aren't going to pay him any more than we would. They just lost their coach to Louisville but they think they are going to take K-State's coach, it's an insane level of delusion.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 08, 2022, 01:17:42 PM »

No. These mediocre Big 10 and SEC programs have a very inflated sense of what they are because all of the media hype and self-fellating. It's a lateral move and they aren't going to pay him any more than we would. They just lost their coach to Louisville but they think they are going to take K-State's coach, it's an insane level of delusion.

OK, makes sense. I don't think it's smart to puff out the chests too much and laugh in their faces on twitter about it, as it seems like its tempting the gods. I will continue to laugh at them behind their backs tho
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 08, 2022, 01:55:07 PM »
Frank Martin has shown we can lose a coach to a place like Purdue. But I think Klieman and Gene have a slightly better relationship than Frank and Currie.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 08, 2022, 02:30:06 PM »

Absolutely no way that could possibly be true

it really is bananas

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: December 08, 2022, 02:30:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1600910987594326017?t=5y3iZvxW4HMjchCJAZa6XQ&s=19

Surprised you didn't end up as a coordinator somewhere (NFL) already
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 08, 2022, 03:43:41 PM »
ftr, Feldman has the following candidates on his list

Current HC:
Dino Babers
Troy Calhoun
Jason Candle
Kane Wommack

Current AC:
Todd Monken
Jim Leonhard
Herrone Moore
Ryan Walters
Brian Hartline

Wildcards:
Kevin Sumlin
Dan Mullen

https://theathletic.com/3980562/2022/12/07/purdue-coach-candidates-jeff-brohm/
- chunkles

Online Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: December 08, 2022, 03:58:19 PM »

Current HC:
Dino Babers
Troy Calhoun
Jason Candle
Kane Wommack

Current AC:
Todd Monken
Jim Leonhard
Herrone Moore
Ryan Walters
Brian Hartline

Wildcards:
Kevin Sumlin
Dan Mullen

Leonhard would be fun for all sorts of reasons

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 08, 2022, 04:01:25 PM »
Frank Martin has shown we can lose a coach to a place like Purdue. But I think Klieman and Gene have a slightly better relationship than Frank and Currie.
Excellent points

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 08, 2022, 04:02:20 PM »

Current HC:
Dino Babers
Troy Calhoun
Jason Candle
Kane Wommack

Current AC:
Todd Monken
Jim Leonhard
Herrone Moore
Ryan Walters
Brian Hartline

Wildcards:
Kevin Sumlin
Dan Mullen

Leonhard would be fun for all sorts of reasons
he would complete the quadrangle

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 09, 2022, 09:49:06 AM »
Excellent points

I think there was pressure coming from some large doners that didn`t like Frank's antics. Frank said "adios".

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 09, 2022, 11:12:37 AM »
Excellent points

I think there was pressure coming from some large doners that didn`t like Frank's antics. Frank said "adios".

The situations aren't even remotely close. Frank went to South Carolina because of things having nothing to do with on field items, money, or resources. If Chris Klieman had a contentious relationship with his athletic director and a segment of the donor base, no one would be surprised if he left for Purdue. What makes this scenario laughable is because he has a low pressure job, which he's achieved success, with a boss who he has a wonderful relationship with and a fan and donor base who universally loves him. He's got what seems to be a pro quarterback returning, and seemingly a generational quarterback in his best recruiting class. He wouldn't be making more money and he wouldn't be getting better facilities or a better recruiting base.

The Purdue thing was laughable and made no sense because, right now, there's no reason for him to take that job, just like Frank wouldn't have taken the South Carolina job in April 2010.