Author Topic: 202x Coaching Carousel  (Read 89397 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 202x Coaching Carousel
« Reply #700 on: November 22, 2022, 12:37:10 AM »
https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1587795158682173440?s=21

Gosh, hard to see any difference in these two guys. I wonder why Jimbo has a longer leash.
Probably nothing to do with a National Title or $85M buyout.
He didn't win that national championship at A&M, he was in the process of already ruining one program. He went 5-6 at Florida State the season he was hired to take over at A&M. You think they would have given Sumlin that job if he was in the process of missing a bowl game and finishing 6th in the ACC Atlantic division, at Florida State?

Jimbo was given the extension that called for his ridiculous buyout after his third season, he was 17-8 in conference, definitely good, but he didn't even win a division, does that merit a $100 million buyout? Sumlin was also given a generous buyout on his extension but it was nowhere close to $100 million.

I don't think that A&M were explicit in giving Jimbo more money and a longer rope "because he's white." I do think they were wreckless with hiring him and with his extension, in a way that they wouldn't have with Sumlin.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 22, 2022, 07:46:37 AM »
Agree.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 22, 2022, 08:38:12 AM »
How many games did Sumlin end up coaching before he was fired?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 22, 2022, 09:22:50 AM »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 22, 2022, 11:10:21 AM »
I'm guessing they fire Jimbo as soon as the buyout drops below $50 million. So 2026 :lol:.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: November 22, 2022, 12:14:39 PM »

51. They were also 7-4 when he was fired. They'd murder a black man walking on their grass for 7-4 right now.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 22, 2022, 12:23:01 PM »

51. They were also 7-4 when he was fired. They'd murder a black man walking on their grass for 7-4 right now.

Wiki says his record at A&M was 51 - 26 over 6 seasons.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 22, 2022, 12:36:46 PM »
Six seasons for Sumlin means that the weekly record comparisons can continue next year. Yes!!!

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 22, 2022, 02:57:32 PM »

Gosh, hard to see any difference in these two guys. I wonder why Jimbo has a longer leash.
He didn't win that national championship at A&M, he was in the process of already ruining one program. He went 5-6 at Florida State the season he was hired to take over at A&M. You think they would have given Sumlin that job if he was in the process of missing a bowl game and finishing 6th in the ACC Atlantic division, at Florida State?

Jimbo was given the extension that called for his ridiculous buyout after his third season, he was 17-8 in conference, definitely good, but he didn't even win a division, does that merit a $100 million buyout? Sumlin was also given a generous buyout on his extension but it was nowhere close to $100 million.

I don't think that A&M were explicit in giving Jimbo more money and a longer rope "because he's white." I do think they were wreckless with hiring him and with his extension, in a way that they wouldn't have with Sumlin.
Mostly agree. I have little doubt there are some racist decision makers at a&m. However, I don't think that has anything to do with giving Jimbo a stupid contract, and then locking themselves into it for nearly a decade. After all, it was the same admin that gave Sumlin the job first. I think it has more to do with unrealistic expectations, and going scorched earth in pursuit of them. Now they have to sleep in the bed the poo'd in.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 22, 2022, 03:03:15 PM »

Mostly agree. I have little doubt there are some racist decision makers at a&m. However, I don't think that has anything to do with giving Jimbo a stupid contract, and then locking themselves into it for nearly a decade. After all, it was the same admin that gave Sumlin the job first. I think it has more to do with unrealistic expectations, and going scorched earth in pursuit of them. Now they have to sleep in the bed the poo'd in.

His FSU team beat Alabama in the BCS NC and that is what they dream of, hence they get him at all costs.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 22, 2022, 03:04:10 PM »
Is his ridiculous contract what they used to lure him from FSU, or did they give him an extension at some point after he joined them?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 22, 2022, 03:05:15 PM »
Both. :thumbs:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 22, 2022, 03:19:09 PM »
Yeah, they gave him a stupid fully guaranteed contract to get him to leave the dumpster fire he created in FSU then gave him another fully guaranteed extension after they went 9-1 during the COVID year when no one was trying.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 22, 2022, 05:53:15 PM »

Wiki says his record at A&M was 51 - 26 over 6 seasons.
I read that question as wins.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 22, 2022, 05:54:20 PM »

fully agree

Offline ksuchris2000

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 22, 2022, 10:10:14 PM »
Yeah, they gave him a stupid fully guaranteed contract to get him to leave the dumpster fire he created in FSU then gave him another fully guaranteed extension after they went 9-1 during the COVID year when no one was trying.

That's the rough ridin' life, getting a crap ton of $$$ with nothing really to show, Charlie Weis should take some notes, except he's wiping his ass with his own millions
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 23, 2022, 09:42:10 AM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 23, 2022, 09:47:22 AM »
Very good question, clams. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 23, 2022, 09:50:03 AM »
I think it means that Wisconsin is keeping their interim guy and Nebraska is going with someone else (probably Matt Rhule).

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 23, 2022, 10:01:56 AM »
Dennis Dodd has reported Rhule turned Neb down but he has been wrong often and Neb's offer is likely to keep increasing as candidates like Leipold use them for leverage.

i am rooting for Bill O'Brien to get it and be the outsider that talks crap on Nebraska and it's tradition as he flames out.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 23, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »
Dennis Dodd has reported Rhule turned Neb down but he has been wrong often and Neb's offer is likely to keep increasing as candidates like Leipold use them for leverage.

i am rooting for Bill O'Brien to get it and be the outsider that talks crap on Nebraska and it's tradition as he flames out.
Oh man. I change my wish to this also.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 23, 2022, 12:54:02 PM »
Leipold's only received contract extensions, right? His original buyout was only $6 million (think it is $5 million this year), unless they massively increased his buyout, this all means nothing as far as him taking another job.

Did I miss anything on his buyout being increased?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 23, 2022, 12:54:50 PM »
Leipold's only received contract extensions, right? His original buyout was only $6 million (think it is $5 million this year), unless they massively increased his buyout, this all means nothing as far as him taking another job.

Did I miss anything on his buyout being increased?

No details have been released, but it has been said (rumored?) that this includes a substantial pay increase and a higher buyout.