Author Topic: Journalist persecution/heroism (lol, thread is re: journalist self-importance)  (Read 24804 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Isn’t sports “Journalism” closer to Entertainment Tonight and US magazine than it is to the rest of the work done at the Times and the Post?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Half the stuff on the Athletic reads like someone read a box score or looked at the standings and churned out a few paragraphs.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Half the stuff on the Athletic reads like someone read a box score or looked at the standings and churned out a few paragraphs.

Probably plugged a few nuggets into ChatGPT and let it rip.
@mikec2w

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Probably plugged a few nuggets into ChatGPT and let it rip.
Yeah, it reads like the auto generated Gamechanger write ups for youth baseball games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Isn’t sports “Journalism” closer to Entertainment Tonight and US magazine than it is to the rest of the work done at the Times and the Post?

Maybe, but he didn't try to draw any further significance of sports journalism. This thread is watered down as hell. If he went on to draw some Watergate or Boston Globe uncovering abuse in the Catholic Church parallels, I mean then yeah, but he didn't do that.

Also that student newspaper absolutely single handedly got Pat Fitzgerald fired and the UP and his initial 2 week suspension for Fitzgerald might be next. They reported on that hazing when no one else had it. They stayed with it even when the school seemingly dropped the ball.

It's pretty hard, for just me I guess, to simultaneously compare sports journalism to Us Weekly and dismiss sports journalists who uncovered widespread bullying and racial issues within a football program at one of America's most prestigious universities.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Were the student reporters SPORTS journalists, or journalists covering a story that was related to sports?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I just checked, the student journalism appears to have been done by real news journalists and not sports entertainment followers.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Your research didn't lead you to discover that the Daily Northwestern doesn't have dedicated sports writers? All of the journalists working on that Fitzgerald story have written other sports pieces outside of that. One of them wrote an article about the NBA Summer League right before they broke the Fitzgerald story.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That's good, I'm glad for them that they write about more than just sports, OR are they are forced to write about sports in addition to real news as a part of a balanced curriculum?  Though if someone wanted to waste a Northwestern education learning to write about entertainment then free country I guess. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What a dumb rough ridin' dickhead. Even made her own hashtag :ROFL:
https://twitter.com/sagesteele/status/1691437577797337088?t=dNQm0rpMkXDyJkd-DSLShg&s=19

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
I have no idea what this is about and don't care to find out but it reminded me how aggressively sports journos honk off to buzz.

https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1691999191428411867

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Listen up: I have no patience for any chucklehead who thinks our kids can't watch Friday Night Lights. In fact, I'm rewatching it currently. And guess what? I'm enjoying the hell out of it. But I also have no patience to learn the name Buzz Bissinger, so me and Kyle Chandler are quietly quitting.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
One of my favorite things about Coach Taylor is how when he says he appreciates something…most of the time he actually does not, in fact, appreciate that thing. Probably resents it, if anything.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
One of my favorite things about Coach Taylor is how when he says he appreciates something…most of the time he actually does not, in fact, appreciate that thing. Probably resents it, if anything.

Deal with it, IMO

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Trim are you okay?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Journalist persecution/heroism (lol, thread is re: journalist self-importance)
« Reply #393 on: September 13, 2023, 07:48:38 PM »
Persecution grievance somewhat walked back. Awkward!

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1702118049107615818

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Journalist persecution/heroism (lol, thread is re: journalist self-importance)
« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2023, 12:59:36 AM »
Again you have watered down this thread to the point that it makes no sense.

I'm inclined to say she shouldn't have apologized but if was flatly lying about him then yeah she should have apologized and probably fired.

Online Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 18, 2023, 12:56:25 PM »
Just a clarifying point - team reporters aren't real reporters. They're mouthpieces for the teams. Some of them - not all, but certainly some - try and project themselves as real reporters (usually the ones who previously were real reporters who got laid off and then turned to the "dark side"). But, they aren't. They're basically PR people who write stories.

So, if I'm the Bills, and I'm paying a salary to someone to write favorable coverage for my own team's website, social channels, etc., yeah, I'd probably be irritated by this "reporter's" oopsie.

Note - one could also argue that the vast majority of reporters who cover sports aren't "real" reporters and that's a fair viewpoint. It's certainly the viewpoint of many reporters who cover non-sports...

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 19, 2023, 10:46:42 PM »
Mirjam should be a gE event
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 20, 2023, 11:39:46 AM »
https://twitter.com/MirjamSwanson/status/1704260390509817954

If I'm reading this correctly, someone wrote a story and used quotes he got from eavesdropping on two players talking to each other? That's shady as crap, confused as to why he thought that was something he should have done.

Am I the only graduate of the Alexander Quintella Miller School of Journalism and Communication left on this board?  :cry:

Online Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 20, 2023, 12:32:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/MirjamSwanson/status/1704260390509817954

If I'm reading this correctly, someone wrote a story and used quotes he got from eavesdropping on two players talking to each other? That's shady as crap, confused as to why he thought that was something he should have done.

Am I the only graduate of the Alexander Quintella Miller School of Journalism and Communication left on this board?  :cry:

You aren't, but "integrity" and "sports journalism" are an increasingly rare pairing.