Author Topic: The riot to reform police thread  (Read 114434 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The riot to reform police thread
« Reply #1525 on: August 29, 2020, 07:47:33 AM »
Good perspective on where our police are at these days.

https://twitter.com/PaulSzoldra/status/1298679211557756930

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 29, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
people on this board have heard me criticize the police for the last 15 years.  i don't need to keep repeating it now that people finally agree with me.

yeah, I will vouch for ksufans sys making me wtf with his takes on this. and here we are now.
yeah Sys has been anti-police for about as long as I can remember.  lol at these rusty come lately's questioning his bonafides.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: August 29, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »
people on this board have heard me criticize the police for the last 15 years.  i don't need to keep repeating it now that people finally agree with me.

yeah, I will vouch for ksufans sys making me wtf with his takes on this. and here we are now.
yeah Sys has been anti-police for about as long as I can remember.  lol at these rusty come lately's questioning his bonafides.

sys was absolutely the biggest hater of cops at one point but his affection for Biden and addiction to contrarianism is ever-so-slightly easing him into "there were a lot of good things in the 94 crime bill" territory. hate to see it!

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 29, 2020, 11:12:44 AM »
I think Leonydus was trying to say that racism isn't a problem, it's just that blacks are predisposed to do more of the violent crimes

Yeah, it seems like the only point there was to show that black people commit more crimes per million people. I'll give him credit though, at least we didn't get that idiotic "black people make up 15% of the population but commit.80% of all the crimes" bullshit.

I believe it also shows the police are not as racist as they are made out to be.

That's an incredibly silly way to look at those stats and to minimize the the issue of excessive force.

There's plenty of issues with excessive force towards all races, but my point is the police aren't racist and it appears the stats back it up. 

But I'm all ears on why it's silly.  Please explain I'm open-minded. 

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: August 29, 2020, 11:24:36 AM »
It’s time to let black people run police departments.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: August 29, 2020, 11:30:01 AM »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 29, 2020, 12:26:08 PM »
Protesters in DC closed in on Rand Paul, chanting “say her name” at the man who wrote the Breonna Taylor Act to curtail no-Knock warrants.

https://reason.com/2020/08/28/rand-paul-breonna-taylor-rnc-protesters-say-her-name/
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 29, 2020, 12:39:04 PM »
Sys's softening view of police is a textbook example of how people tend to get more conservative as they age.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 29, 2020, 12:45:22 PM »
Where does respecting officers that joined to truly protect and serve and appreciating the difficulty of their job and seeing they get caught up in a horrible system of unions and bad cops and wanting the whole thing tore down fall on the scale?  I feel like that's where I am.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 29, 2020, 12:55:59 PM »
Where does respecting officers that joined to truly protect and serve and appreciating the difficulty of their job and seeing they get caught up in a horrible system of unions and bad cops and wanting the whole thing tore down fall on the scale?  I feel like that's where I am.

I think most reasonable people are pretty aligned with this. It’s why fixing the problem takes measures on multiple fronts. Problem is people align themselves with whatever side of the issue and point fingers and delegitimize their opposition.

Do we need to better hold offending LEO accountable? Yes.
Do we need LEO to constantly work against the threat of their own bias? Yes
Do we need to affectively reduce the level of violent crime and the situations that lead to it and subsequent adversarial encounters with LEO? Yes.

If I’m a good-hearted kitten handler and deal with all sorts of kittens, but calicos bite and scratch me more often than non-calicos I’m naturally going to develop some bias against calicos, and deal with even innocent calicos in a different manner than I do with non-calicos. This is bad for everyone; kitten handlers, non-violent calicos, and violent calicos . It’s neutral for non-violent non-calicos, but also dangerous for kitten handlers dealing with violent non-calicos.

Edit: And if I’m a kitten handler that already doesn’t like calicos going in, then it’s double bad.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 12:59:46 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 29, 2020, 01:12:59 PM »
Can’t even imagine the kind of crap cops have been getting away with pre body cam and social media

https://twitter.com/shannonsharpe/status/1299427348211625984?s=21
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 29, 2020, 01:28:21 PM »
Can’t even imagine the kind of crap cops have been getting away with pre body cam and social media

https://twitter.com/shannonsharpe/status/1299427348211625984?s=21

honestly it seems like cops give so few fucks when on camera it makes me wonder if their behavior has changed all that much.

side note I went back and watched the Rodney King beating and it's wild how tame it seems today, I mean during the first wave of George Floyd protests there were like 10 videos like this a day from NYC alone

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 29, 2020, 03:17:35 PM »
Middle class and upper middle class white dudes armed with the latest smartphones calling a black DC Cop a traitor and a Jim Crow.

100% BidenBot Nation right there.

SMDH

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: August 29, 2020, 03:44:04 PM »
Sys's softening view of police is a textbook example of how people tend to get more conservative as they age.

i've become more liberal over the relevant time-span.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: August 29, 2020, 10:42:31 PM »
Who could argue with this sound logic. 

ProgFascist Manifesto

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: August 30, 2020, 10:30:49 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 30, 2020, 11:18:52 AM »
Middle class and upper middle class white dudes armed with the latest smartphones calling a black DC Cop a traitor and a Jim Crow.

100% BidenBot Nation right there.

SMDH

NWA been saying that since '88, SMDH
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: August 30, 2020, 12:26:26 PM »
Kenosha sheriff lies about watching the video. Like it's unreal stupid that you would not watch the video, but then you tell a lie to make it seem like you are that stupid? These cop press conferences, man

https://twitter.com/MalyndaHale/status/1299487701423386624

https://twitter.com/MalyndaHale/status/1299518214674681856

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 30, 2020, 01:27:15 PM »
They’ve never ever in their history been held accountable so they don’t know what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: August 30, 2020, 03:12:17 PM »
You can tell he was lying by how fast he got the eff away from the reporters when they starting questioning him about the video.  What a sack of crap.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: August 30, 2020, 08:15:08 PM »
I think Leonydus was trying to say that racism isn't a problem, it's just that blacks are predisposed to do more of the violent crimes

Yeah, it seems like the only point there was to show that black people commit more crimes per million people. I'll give him credit though, at least we didn't get that idiotic "black people make up 15% of the population but commit.80% of all the crimes" bullshit.

I believe it also shows the police are not as racist as they are made out to be.

That's an incredibly silly way to look at those stats and to minimize the the issue of excessive force.

There's plenty of issues with excessive force towards all races, but my point is the police aren't racist and it appears the stats back it up. 

But I'm all ears on why it's silly.  Please explain I'm open-minded.

I refuse to argue the affirmative or negative argument of "police are racist." It's such a ridiculous, simple construct. Issues of race and authority/power can't be simplified to this group of 700,000 people are or aren't racist as a collective. You might be that stupid, but I'm not.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: August 30, 2020, 11:35:05 PM »
I’d argue that relatively few police are racist. A much higher percentage approach encounters with bias, which is only natural. Reducing bias, much learned on the job, should be a huge priority.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 31, 2020, 01:12:57 AM »
I’d argue that relatively few police are racist. A much higher percentage approach encounters with bias, which is only natural. Reducing bias, much learned on the job, should be a huge priority.

There are very few racist cops because very few people identify as racist. That sheriff in Arkansas who was fired yesterday, for yelling at his girlfriend for having the audacity to talk to a "n-word" working at the Piggly Wiggly. He screamed at this woman for at least minutes five minutes and used the word n-word at least 7 times. This sheriff said he's not racist.

Figuring out who's racist and who isn't is an unnecessary fool's errand. Policing in this country seems to be irreparably broken, no matter who's racist or not. Of course there are other factors at play that make black men much more susceptible to having contact with the police and victims of excessive force.

Coming back to the unvetted stat from Leonydus, that fun muffin is desperately trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Two key things that the stat doesn't mention that black men are far less likely to carry a gun than white men and white men are much more likely to commit domestic violence, which cops say are the most violent, unpredictable calls. Trying to draw conclusions from those numbers is simply cherry picking info to reach a predetermined thought.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 31, 2020, 07:11:47 AM »
Man, who could have foreseen any deaths after 95 straight days of white middle and upper middle class people rioting in Portland.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 31, 2020, 07:19:29 AM »
102 of 177 arrests related to the protest/riots in Kenosha are arrests of people from out-of-town.

Very surprised by this, was told this was primarily an indigenous movement.