Author Topic: The riot to reform police thread  (Read 113531 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The riot to reform police thread
« Reply #975 on: June 08, 2020, 02:01:27 AM »
He was cutting thru that crowd like Stone Cold in a surprise appearance on Raw. Did they not notice or did they gtf away from the maniac with a gun? That dude was a half step from gunning it into that crowd. Thankful he didn’t, but why leave the car and just peace out THRU the crowd. That’s some NWO crap.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 08, 2020, 04:05:02 AM »
Unless they saw the gun, there was no way most of those people could know. I'm assuming they have spent a week+ hearing random bangs and pops. Him running through the crowd was brilliant because he blended in great with the thousand other white guys in a dark hoodie. Unfortunately, he left his rough ridin' car there making it pretty damn easy for him to get found, if the Seattle police were interested in such things.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The riot to reform police thread
« Reply #977 on: June 08, 2020, 09:07:37 AM »
So Minneapolis is actually going to defund the police department, cRusty was really a pioneer on this.
I'm excited to see what they end up with!
I’ve been trying my darndest to figure out what “defund the police” means, and as far as I can tell it means “reform.”

My early impression is that “defund the police” is going to be the progressive version of “repeal and replace Obamacare.”

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 08, 2020, 09:21:12 AM »
Yeah, the "defund the police" thing seems dumb to me because the goal seems to be to still have a police department. It's the opposite of the dog whistles conservatives have been using.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 08, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »
I am assuming the defund the police the insane weaponry they pretend they need.

The RCPD MRAP would be a victim of this defund campaign, right?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 08, 2020, 09:31:05 AM »
Yeah, the "defund the police" thing seems dumb to me because the goal seems to be to still have a police department. It's the opposite of the dog whistles conservatives have been using.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't sound great, it's not a great optical issue. If it was reform I guess it would sit a lot better. Maybe it needs to sound so dramatic to get attention. IDK
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 08, 2020, 09:36:46 AM »
Ted Cruz likes to say "abolish the EPA" and that seems about the same.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 08, 2020, 09:38:22 AM »

Yeah, it definitely doesn't sound great, it's not a great optical issue. If it was reform I guess it would sit a lot better. Maybe it needs to sound so dramatic to get attention. IDK
I think it has two purposes.

First, it’s an emotional campaign to placate a large segment of protestors.

Second, it’s basically a rallying cry. Although it doesn’t really mean anything, people understand it as meaning doing a lot more than we’ve been doing. “Reform” has basically become synonymous with doing nothing.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 08, 2020, 09:39:04 AM »
I don't think "defund" or "reform" go far enough. I agree that "reform" basically says "do nothing". But like I said, let's see what Minneapolis comes up with when they actually put things into action.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 08, 2020, 09:41:53 AM »

I think it has two purposes.

First, it’s an emotional campaign to placate a large segment of protestors.

Second, it’s basically a rallying cry. Although it doesn’t really mean anything, people understand it as meaning doing a lot more than we’ve been doing. “Reform” has basically become synonymous with doing nothing.

I mean that is fair, and at the end of the day if meaningful things come out of it great, I just think it gives chowder to the wrong people and gives some people pause about what the heck is actually going on and want to do something about it. But I guess you got to want beyond what is actually needed into order to move the needle.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 08, 2020, 09:44:36 AM »
Unless they saw the gun, there was no way most of those people could know. I'm assuming they have spent a week+ hearing random bangs and pops. Him running through the crowd was brilliant because he blended in great with the thousand other white guys in a dark hoodie. Unfortunately, he left his rough ridin' car there making it pretty damn easy for him to get found, if the Seattle police were interested in such things.

He walked through the crowd to the police.

Video's in here: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/man-shot-after-gunman-drives-car-into-capitol-hill-protesters/

Also shows that goal of non-panicking dude was to hold that shitty plastic barrier down on the car to keep it from advancing further. Much confidence in his strength.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 08, 2020, 09:46:33 AM »
It means a city has the county sherriff's office do all the traditional police work.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-04/how-camden-new-jersey-reformed-its-police-department

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 08, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
I don't think "defund" or "reform" go far enough. I agree that "reform" basically says "do nothing". But like I said, let's see what Minneapolis comes up with when they actually put things into action.

Actually "defunding" a police department would mean that there just isn't a police department anymore. How does that not go far enough?

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 08, 2020, 09:55:17 AM »
i take "defund" to mean reduce their budget, not eliminate it

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 08, 2020, 09:56:29 AM »

Actually "defunding" a police department would mean that there just isn't a police department anymore. How does that not go far enough?

True but I think it as more of a call to give them less money than its proper definition

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: June 08, 2020, 09:57:23 AM »
Can't make a catchy slogan out of "Reduce the Police budget by up to 35%"

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 08, 2020, 10:12:26 AM »
if drivers of honda civics with WA plates are packing now, sheesh

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 08, 2020, 10:27:00 AM »
Can't make a catchy slogan out of "Reduce the Police budget by up to 35%"

Our the wraps on those mraps!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 08, 2020, 10:49:26 AM »
who's leading the seattle protests? they seem especially feisty. Is it just they're more progressive than most other cities?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 08, 2020, 11:09:34 AM »
who's leading the seattle protests? they seem especially feisty. Is it just they're more progressive than most other cities?

Nobody.  Even various "leaders" and groups are in-fighting about who's the voice of the community.  It's transformed into a political game with various characters and officials all trying to advance their own interests.

There have been plenty of other protests and marches that haven't gotten crazy.  What you've seen is all from a block in the most libby neighborhood where there's a police precinct. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 08, 2020, 11:14:33 AM »

Nobody.  Even various "leaders" and groups are in-fighting about who's the voice of the community.  It's transformed into a political game with various characters and officials all trying to advance their own interests.

There have been plenty of other protests and marches that haven't gotten crazy.  What you've seen is all from a block in the most libby neighborhood where there's a police precinct.

Interesting. It also seems like there's really a bit of the "antifa" professional protester element, like white people who live for events like Charlottesville.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 08, 2020, 11:19:49 AM »

Interesting. It also seems like there's really a bit of the "antifa" professional protester element, like white people who live for events like Charlottesville.

If there wasn't coronavirus and the soccer team was playing, most of those people would be getting it all out at the games.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 08, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »
so based off browsing Ben Shapiro's twitter this morning, it seems like the go-to conservative response to defunding the police is "what'll you do if someone is breaking into your home?" Like how often do cops prevent home invasions in progress?

the other go-to is "you're going to hurt minority communities!" which is definitely something conservatives have shown is important to them time and time again.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 08, 2020, 12:14:22 PM »
anytime you have to explain that your slogan doesn't mean what everyone thinks it means, you have a bad slogan.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."