Author Topic: The riot to reform police thread  (Read 105459 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: The riot to reform police thread
« Reply #776 on: June 03, 2020, 05:11:54 PM »

https://www.pscp.tv/w/caXOgjIxNDY1MjN8MWdxeHZFckFMckFKQu243Jd5lKwOj3Ef5L3D8yOGxUbjLg66DJPfrJYNpjah

I'd been thinking about firing up the periscope. nice find.

Your CFS is a block from this.

:lol:

Theyre chanting "S-P-D suck my dick.."

What a bunch of horny basstards... anyway not advisable, due to most the S-P=D  having healthy set of teeth.  :ohno:  thou females might be safe.  :thumbs:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 03, 2020, 05:12:40 PM »
So a great way of getting quality cops is to make the profession seems bad and not kid friendly.  Should help with community relations too.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 03, 2020, 05:47:44 PM »
the idea that we aren't going to be able to hire any new police if we fire some of the current ones is laughably stupid.

Very much so. First of all reforms would absolutely attract more minority cops. There's also no reason police departments shouldn't be competing with the armed forces for their best talent.

What reforms?  Shouldn't anybody who wants to make a change want to jump into the PD 30 years ago to help make change?

I'm guessing/hoping you aren't asking me about some rando beat cop or some rando chief making systematic changes to generations of flawed policing in the entire country. That's either really stupid or asked in bad faith.

I'm only asking what reforms you think would attract more minority cops. bolded above.

On the short term, there isn't much that will make any significant impact. The greatest reason that there aren't minority cops is goes all the way back before the country was ever founded, I'd hope you know that. We live in highly segregated areas but have never been allowed to police in the same way. You're not going to overturn hundreds of years of distrust in a matter of months or even years. My mother's generation had to be subjected to cops being the front line in the government pushing back in a battle for civil rights. It's obviously going to be a long and hard transformation, but it has to start somewhere. Here's what I'd do.

1. I would only hire officers that live in my city, especially in metro areas.
2. Police need hiring quotas to assist in representation
3. I balk at busting police unions, but they have been a strong barrier to community policing and representation in police departments.
4. Police departments should invest in education in our cities and not just by putting substations in black neighborhoods. Invest in scholarships, have more programs in small colleges, and not just some community colleges.
5. Partner with secondary schools to have plain clothed officers assist in educational programs. There is a national organization called Jobs for America's Graduates who would be perfect to partner with.
6. Have a presence, plain clothed, no guns, in community events. Host some of these events, block parties, farmers markets in food deserts.

There is literally a eff ton of things they can do if they actually wanted to do so.

I think, hand-in-hand with #6, police should have to walk a beat - with the emphasis on physically walking. They should have to get out of their cars on patrol, so you can see their faces and they are actually out in the community. Talk to kids shooting hoops in the park, stop in and chat with the local business owners, help old ladies cross the road and help carry their groceries, etc. How can you effectively protect and serve people that you don't talk to and don't care about?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: June 03, 2020, 06:42:50 PM »
the idea that we aren't going to be able to hire any new police if we fire some of the current ones is laughably stupid.

Very much so. First of all reforms would absolutely attract more minority cops. There's also no reason police departments shouldn't be competing with the armed forces for their best talent.

What reforms?  Shouldn't anybody who wants to make a change want to jump into the PD 30 years ago to help make change?

I'm guessing/hoping you aren't asking me about some rando beat cop or some rando chief making systematic changes to generations of flawed policing in the entire country. That's either really stupid or asked in bad faith.

I'm only asking what reforms you think would attract more minority cops. bolded above.

On the short term, there isn't much that will make any significant impact. The greatest reason that there aren't minority cops is goes all the way back before the country was ever founded, I'd hope you know that. We live in highly segregated areas but have never been allowed to police in the same way. You're not going to overturn hundreds of years of distrust in a matter of months or even years. My mother's generation had to be subjected to cops being the front line in the government pushing back in a battle for civil rights. It's obviously going to be a long and hard transformation, but it has to start somewhere. Here's what I'd do.

1. I would only hire officers that live in my city, especially in metro areas.
2. Police need hiring quotas to assist in representation
3. I balk at busting police unions, but they have been a strong barrier to community policing and representation in police departments.
4. Police departments should invest in education in our cities and not just by putting substations in black neighborhoods. Invest in scholarships, have more programs in small colleges, and not just some community colleges.
5. Partner with secondary schools to have plain clothed officers assist in educational programs. There is a national organization called Jobs for America's Graduates who would be perfect to partner with.
6. Have a presence, plain clothed, no guns, in community events. Host some of these events, block parties, farmers markets in food deserts.

There is literally a eff ton of things they can do if they actually wanted to do so.

I think, hand-in-hand with #6, police should have to walk a beat - with the emphasis on physically walking. They should have to get out of their cars on patrol, so you can see their faces and they are actually out in the community. Talk to kids shooting hoops in the park, stop in and chat with the local business owners, help old ladies cross the road and help carry their groceries, etc. How can you effectively protect and serve people that you don't talk to and don't care about?

Man, you’re killing itt. MIR’s list is also superb.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 03, 2020, 06:44:06 PM »
A reminder that you can generally assume cops are liars about everything (also eff this headline.)

https://twitter.com/dumbandawful/status/1267932989603938305

https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/looters-swipe-2-4m-worth-of-watches-from-soho-rolex-store/

I'm dumbfounded that de blasio hasn't fired his chief yet. He's making the mayor look stupid almost every hour on the hour.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 03, 2020, 06:44:17 PM »
I don’t know when you guys think of Jim Rome but his first hour on Monday and really the entire show was just perfect and spot on in my opinion.

Def worth a listen. https://podcast.app/jim-rome-hour-e98914909/?utm_source=ios&utm_medium=share
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 03, 2020, 06:48:33 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 03, 2020, 06:51:52 PM »
So a great way of getting quality cops is to make the profession seems bad and not kid friendly.  Should help with community relations too.

We've had respectful dialogue on this, but I gotta ask, what's your angle here? It seems to me, that anything short of unlimited reverence is unacceptable to you.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 03, 2020, 07:58:15 PM »

We've had respectful dialogue on this, but I gotta ask, what's your angle here? It seems to me, that anything short of unlimited reverence is unacceptable to you.

Not at all where I was going with that.  I don't think Legos discontinuing police themed legos or stopping making cop halloween costumes, etc, etc. is going to benefit anybody and is just a publicity ploy.

If we want high quality people to become cops (that isn't happening now) making them to be the boggieman isn't the answer.  I totally understand they are making themselves the boogieman much more effective for the past decades.  Somehow we have to make it a respected profession again or we'll just keep getting dickwads who want absolute power.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 03, 2020, 08:10:04 PM »
Cops should be ashamed of what they are now

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 03, 2020, 08:18:38 PM »

Agreed.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 03, 2020, 08:47:27 PM »

they're very likely better now than they've ever been.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #789 on: June 03, 2020, 08:50:54 PM »

Yeppers

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 03, 2020, 08:58:46 PM »
Racism is just ONE of Ralph’s hobbies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the ad on the child molester profile--not very good!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 03, 2020, 09:37:47 PM »

Creative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 03, 2020, 10:05:13 PM »
People are really fixated on police in this thread and in protests when I feel most of the vitriol should be directed at those in charge of prosecuting them and those who can influence prosecutors (i.e. mayors, governors etc). They are the enablers.  Police killed 19 unarmed white ppl in 2019 versus 9 black people, the issue is that we’re not prosecuting them at the same rate (I assume, don’t have the numbers).  Idk if these numbers include off duty officers like the dumbass Dallas lady cop that shot a man in his own home. 

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 03, 2020, 10:20:56 PM »
Police killed way more than 19 where are you getting that

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: June 03, 2020, 10:31:33 PM »

Unarmed white ppl.  I got it from a wsj opinion piece that was supposedly sourced from wapo data.  I also heard it rattled off on tv a couple nites ago.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 10:35:05 PM by kim carnes »

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 03, 2020, 10:32:00 PM »
He came to kc for that lol

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 03, 2020, 10:32:38 PM »

Unarmed white ppl
Right I read your post where did you get that

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 03, 2020, 10:36:30 PM »
Police killed 19 unarmed white ppl in 2019 versus 9 black people, the issue is that we’re not prosecuting them at the same rate (I assume, don’t have the numbers).  Idk if these numbers include off duty officers like the dumbass Dallas lady cop that shot a man in his own home.

no that's not the issue.  the issues are 1) black americans are 12% of the population, they are killed in numbers disproportionate to their share of the population, and 2) police kill way too many non-black americans too.

although, honestly the killing of people is the least of the problems, as horrific as the individual incidents are.  it's the constant harassment.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 03, 2020, 10:43:55 PM »
Police killed 19 unarmed white ppl in 2019 versus 9 black people, the issue is that we’re not prosecuting them at the same rate (I assume, don’t have the numbers).  Idk if these numbers include off duty officers like the dumbass Dallas lady cop that shot a man in his own home.

no that's not the issue.  the issues are 1) black americans are 12% of the population, they are killed in numbers disproportionate to their share of the population, and 2) police kill way too many non-black americans too.

although, honestly the killing of people is the least of the problems, as horrific as the individual incidents are.  it's the constant harassment.

So you don’t think charging/prosecuting them for wrongdoing will help?  Surely u cannot be serious.