Author Topic: The riot to reform police thread  (Read 111944 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: The riot thread
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2020, 12:38:45 PM »
here's some politics injection

There really is a tweet for everything

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2020, 12:42:02 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2020, 12:44:05 PM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2020, 12:46:12 PM »
Hopefully all impacted business and even individuals are filing lawsuits right now against:  The City of Minneapolis and naming the mayor, the city council and the chief of police by name in those suits.  Also filing suits against the state naming both the governor and the AG specifically in those suits.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2020, 12:52:03 PM »
what have the police, autozone, and target done for that community?
I think the damage is far more widespread than police, autozone and target. 

https://www.startribune.com/mpls-small-business-owners-pick-up-pieces-after-night-of-destruction/570833292/
Elias Usso got an alert at home around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday when an alarm went off at his small pharmacy near Lake Street and Hiawatha Avenue.

Then he watched the live security footage on his phone as looters ransacked the Seward Pharmacy shelves, set a small fire in the back and carted out a safe holding prescription drugs. “I saw the whole thing — it was agonizing,” he said Thursday afternoon as workers mopped up floors drenched from sprinklers and boarded up the shattered store windows. “My biggest concern is that my customers won’t be able to get their prescriptions on time. That’s a nightmare for a pharmacist.”

that sucks! I don't like it but I'm also not ready to say the riots shouldn't have happened. It's a complicated moral question
Yeah it's pretty nuanced and more complicated than the simplified "riots are bad" or "riots are the language of the unheard."  Like, the amount of destruction that's happened in Minneapolis is no joke. 

You can pin the root cause of the destruction on the protestors/rioters or the police/system, but the result (destroyed property and the subsequent effect over the next x years) actually sucks for people in that community.  Maybe the destruction on economic damage is worth it, because it's definitely gotten people's attention.  But still, it's come a pretty sizable cost.

It would be nice if, while they're at it, they went and mumped up a bunch of Minnesota's football facility so Klieman could stop getting his ass kicked by Mr. RTB.  That's something I think we can all agree on and requires 0 nuance.

The fact that most if not all of you think this is complicated is the issue. The dehumanization of black and brown people has been happening in this country since white people invaded the continent. The only thing even remotely close to getting people to have broader conversations about this has been civil disobedience. Honestly, at this point it should happen every time. This should have happened when Philando Castile was murdered. When Mohamed Noor shot Justine Damond and was arrested without needing to be prodded by the public and media, and was sent to prison for 12 years, there should have been riots too.

Our tolerance of injustice is much much higher than you white people would be willing to accept. Y'all sent armed people to capitol buildings throughout the country because they were forced to eat takeout from Cracker Barrel.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2020, 12:53:11 PM »
The no charges thing doesn't bother me that much because I'm about 100% sure there will be charges. The "not guilty" verdict that will come out is the part that really sucks.

Do you think if George Floyd had killed someone on video he'd still be walking around while the prosecutor collected evidence?

I honestly have no idea.

Yes you do

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2020, 12:54:21 PM »
This should help.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1266231100780744704

He's really gonna cry now, little bitch

I wonder if Twitter is going to use this as a double edged sword to prevent politicians from deleting their own tweets as well.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2020, 01:08:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/mukhtaryare/status/1266417544870666242

That's how you know this is a total scam, there were three storm troopers sitting on George.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2020, 01:11:28 PM »
Just for my own understanding, because i'm pretty torn on this, is there any point short of murder where the riot/protest crosses from the morally neutral "language of the unheard" territory and into "ok this is wrong and needs to be stopped"? 

Nothing until your storm troopers stop killing us.
My storm troopers?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2020, 01:11:35 PM »
The no charges thing doesn't bother me that much because I'm about 100% sure there will be charges. The "not guilty" verdict that will come out is the part that really sucks.

Do you think if George Floyd had killed someone on video he'd still be walking around while the prosecutor collected evidence?

I honestly have no idea.

Yes you do

An arrest 4 days after a murder doesn't seem unusually slow to me.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2020, 01:21:31 PM »
It took Georgia like 10 weeks, improvement!

:jerk:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2020, 01:24:30 PM »

I honestly have no idea.

Yes you do

GTFO

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »
Just for my own understanding, because i'm pretty torn on this, is there any point short of murder where the riot/protest crosses from the morally neutral "language of the unheard" territory and into "ok this is wrong and needs to be stopped"? 

My storm troopers?

Don't even bother.   That idiot thinks there's some hotline white people call that sends in the .000000008% of the population that thinks its okay to carry automatic weapons over to the capital building and that every white person is on the whole operation and approves of their actions.

BTW DQ:   The Cow Jumps Over the River (repeat) The Cow Jumps Over the River

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2020, 01:25:24 PM »

I honestly have no idea.

Yes you do

Considering they had video evidence and the guy’s address, seems pretty slow to me.

I’d be very interested to hear what critical piece of evidence emerged over the last 24 hours to prompt the arrest.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2020, 01:27:49 PM »

https://www.startribune.com/mpls-small-business-owners-pick-up-pieces-after-night-of-destruction/570833292/
Elias Usso got an alert at home around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday when an alarm went off at his small pharmacy near Lake Street and Hiawatha Avenue.

Then he watched the live security footage on his phone as looters ransacked the Seward Pharmacy shelves, set a small fire in the back and carted out a safe holding prescription drugs. “I saw the whole thing — it was agonizing,” he said Thursday afternoon as workers mopped up floors drenched from sprinklers and boarded up the shattered store windows. “My biggest concern is that my customers won’t be able to get their prescriptions on time. That’s a nightmare for a pharmacist.”

that sucks! I don't like it but I'm also not ready to say the riots shouldn't have happened. It's a complicated moral question
Yeah it's pretty nuanced and more complicated than the simplified "riots are bad" or "riots are the language of the unheard."  Like, the amount of destruction that's happened in Minneapolis is no joke. 

You can pin the root cause of the destruction on the protestors/rioters or the police/system, but the result (destroyed property and the subsequent effect over the next x years) actually sucks for people in that community.  Maybe the destruction on economic damage is worth it, because it's definitely gotten people's attention.  But still, it's come a pretty sizable cost.

It would be nice if, while they're at it, they went and mumped up a bunch of Minnesota's football facility so Klieman could stop getting his ass kicked by Mr. RTB.  That's something I think we can all agree on and requires 0 nuance.

The fact that most if not all of you think this is complicated is the issue. The dehumanization of black and brown people has been happening in this country since white people invaded the continent. The only thing even remotely close to getting people to have broader conversations about this has been civil disobedience. Honestly, at this point it should happen every time. This should have happened when Philando Castile was murdered. When Mohamed Noor shot Justine Damond and was arrested without needing to be prodded by the public and media, and was sent to prison for 12 years, there should have been riots too.

Our tolerance of injustice is much much higher than you white people would be willing to accept. Y'all sent armed people to capitol buildings throughout the country because they were forced to eat takeout from Cracker Barrel.

I absolutely think they should riot! the complicated question is can rioting go too far? I don't think they have, but I imagine it's possible.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2020, 01:34:22 PM »

I honestly have no idea.

Yes you do

Considering they had video evidence and the guy’s address, seems pretty slow to me.

I’d be very interested to hear what critical piece of evidence emerged over the last 24 hours to prompt the arrest.

It's slower than it should be, but it seems faster than most murder cases I've bothered to follow.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2020, 01:37:58 PM »
Are most murder cases filmed in front of a dozen witnesses?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2020, 01:41:55 PM »

I honestly have no idea.

Yes you do

Y'all are wild

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »
Are most murder cases filmed in front of a dozen witnesses?

No. That's why I said I really don't know. It's not worth getting worked up about, anyway. Save the outrage for the inevitable acquittal.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2020, 01:44:23 PM »

My storm troopers?

Don't even bother.   That idiot thinks there's some hotline white people call that sends in the .000000008% of the population that thinks its okay to carry automatic weapons over to the capital building and that every white person is on the whole operation and approves of their actions.

No surprise to see where dax aims his moist pointed anger in all of this. Again, I'll give you full credit for transparency.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2020, 01:48:07 PM »

I absolutely think they should riot! the complicated question is can rioting go too far? I don't think they have, but I imagine it's possible.

Nothing short of murder, we all place too much value on stuff. I will say that I prefer this to what happened in Ferguson, leave the small neighborhood businesses alone. However, rage, by definition, doesn't have a governor.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2020, 01:48:40 PM »

My storm troopers?

No surprise to see where dax aims his moist pointed anger in all of this. Again, I'll give you full credit for transparency.

I'm always willing to point out a total nutjob.

When you are saying complete bullshit like "y'all sendin . . . ", but rolling out that BS is 1000% MIR BAU.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2020, 01:56:01 PM »

Nothing short of murder, we all place too much value on stuff. I will say that I prefer this to what happened in Ferguson, leave the small neighborhood businesses alone. However, rage, by definition, doesn't have a governor.
That's the thing though.  On the one hand you say nothing short of murder is too far.  On the other hand, you say that they shouldn't go after small neighborhood businesses -- something that's absolutely happened:

Just trying to figure out if people think all of this rage is good/neutral, or only some of it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2020, 02:04:19 PM »

My storm troopers?

Yours as in all of y'alls. White men are the only people who have the power to change this. Once the power structure in this country gets either sick of this or scared of the response will there be any change to policing. I won't even think about asking for a change in systematic racism, that is too big of an ask at this point.

I'm not saying that you as an individual has any blame here, but you certainly have the ability to be part of a coalition to change what's happening in this country. We don't hire cops, we don't draft and oversee policy. We don't run the unions. We don't run the districts attorney offices. We've been told that taking a knee at sporting events isn't an acceptable form of protest. We've been told that social disobedience isn't an acceptable form of protest.

We have no way to fix this and have been told so. These cops are doing the bidding for white people, enforcing laws made by white people, and answering to white people. They're your cops, not mine.

Put it like this, someone is breaking into your house, do you have to think twice as to whether or not you need to call the cops? I do.