Author Topic: The riot to reform police thread  (Read 111864 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The riot to reform police thread
« Reply #1175 on: June 21, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
Personally I don’t really gaf about any statues but I do think the vandals should pay for the damage.

like a reparation?
Well except this would be payment from the exact perpetrators to the exact victim. So maybe more like a lawsuit.

you should look up the definition of the word "reparation". "Exactness" doesn't have anything to do with it
I truly have no idea where you are going with this.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 21, 2020, 01:08:40 PM »
That would be Union General and President Ulysses S. Grant?

Left off slave owner

I'm not going to look too much into it, but his wiki page seems to suggest his ties to slavery were pretty weak, with lots of evidence suggesting he supported emancipation (like teabagging the Confederacy). There should be more nuance when peering into the past. If the standard is that recordable history starts at the point where the badges of racism cease to exist in society, then history has yet to begin.

Anyway, I guess I just was unaware that Grant had been cancelled.

You own one fellow human being and they never let you live it down...

You say this, but in 50 years when the vast majority of humans realize how barbaric the practice of imbibing energy drinks was, I hope you're not around to find out for whom the bell tolls. Hint: for thee.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 21, 2020, 02:01:30 PM »
Personally I don’t really gaf about any statues but I do think the vandals should pay for the damage.

like a reparation?
Well except this would be payment from the exact perpetrators to the exact victim. So maybe more like a lawsuit.

you should look up the definition of the word "reparation". "Exactness" doesn't have anything to do with it
I truly have no idea where you are going with this.

you're too caught up in the details. why would anyone give a eff about tearing down one USG statue? if 300 confederate statues get torn down, that's awesome right? but if protestors tear down 300 confederate statues and 1 USG statue, now all of a sudden it's a rough ridin' travesty.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: June 21, 2020, 02:11:43 PM »
yeah, look it's bad and the people that tore down that statue are dumbasses.  you don't have to reflexively defend everything that people you perceive as on your side do.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 21, 2020, 02:22:24 PM »
That would be Union General and President Ulysses S. Grant?

Left off slave owner

I'm not going to look too much into it, but his wiki page seems to suggest his ties to slavery were pretty weak, with lots of evidence suggesting he supported emancipation (like teabagging the Confederacy). There should be more nuance when peering into the past. If the standard is that recordable history starts at the point where the badges of racism cease to exist in society, then history has yet to begin.

Anyway, I guess I just was unaware that Grant had been cancelled.

You own one fellow human being and they never let you live it down...

You say this, but in 50 years when the vast majority of humans realize how barbaric the practice of imbibing energy drinks was, I hope you're not around to find out for whom the bell tolls. Hint: for thee.

Then my statues will have to come down. It’s the rules

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 21, 2020, 03:30:19 PM »
yeah, look it's bad and the people that tore down that statue are dumbasses.  you don't have to reflexively defend everything that people you perceive as on your side do.

at the same time, it's also counterproductive to malign a movement that's doing a lot of good things just because they aren't doing everything perfectly  :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 21, 2020, 03:35:31 PM »
I think tearing down the grant statue is silly even though I had no idea it existed.

It's also interesting that I learned he was a slaveowner because of it, considering the main non-racist argument against tearing down the confederate statues is you'll forget history.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 21, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »

at the same time, it's also counterproductive to malign a movement that's doing a lot of good things just because they aren't doing everything perfectly  :dunno:
Great.  Glad we agree that tearing down the Grant statue was dumb. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 21, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »

You could literally say the same thing about this country and yet your maligning it on this board constantly. 

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 21, 2020, 04:25:30 PM »

whose life is negatively affected by that? much ado about nothing

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: June 21, 2020, 04:29:12 PM »

You could literally say the same thing about this country and yet your maligning it on this board constantly.

except when the country fucks up, people needlessly suffer. that's alot different from tearing down a statue of a union general (a victimless crime).

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 21, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »

this is literally the same argument made by those who oppose removing statues of confederate soldiers.

and it's just as stupid on either side.  the stories we tell ourselves about our history matter.  they're part of what forms our culture.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 21, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »

this is literally the same argument made by those who oppose removing statues of confederate soldiers.

and it's just as stupid on either side.  the stories we tell ourselves about our history matter.  they're part of what forms our culture.

except that people's lives ARE negatively affected by glorification of the antebellum south. it really seems to be picking nits - you tear down one statue that maybe didn't deserve to be torn down and every POS pub comes out of the woodwork to suggest that the BLM movement is dangerous, or stupid, or just an example of cancel culture, instead of the many great substantive things that it is
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 06:13:49 PM by treysolid »

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 21, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
treysolid  :facepalm:
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 21, 2020, 06:15:39 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 21, 2020, 06:35:42 PM »

I happen to be the great-great-great great-grandson of USG, and I can tell you this hit me like a shot to the gut.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 21, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »

except that people's lives ARE negatively affected by glorification of the antebellum south. it really seems to be picking nits - you tear down one statue that maybe didn't deserve to be torn down and every POS pub comes out of the woodwork to suggest that the BLM movement is dangerous, or stupid, or just an example of cancel culture, instead of the many great substantive things that it is
You can be critical of tearing down the USG statue without condemning the broader movement.  As proof, many people have done it right here in the last page and a half of this thread.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 21, 2020, 06:53:28 PM »

I happen to be the great-great-great great-grandson of USG, and I can tell you this hit me like a shot to the gut.

my condolences for your loss, spracs

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 21, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »
If people want to topple statues there is one in MHK I could direct them towards.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: June 21, 2020, 07:15:21 PM »
If people want to topple statues there is one in MHK I could direct them towards.

What do you have against Johnny kaw, fascist?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 21, 2020, 07:45:48 PM »

What do you have against Johnny kaw, fascist?
:adios:

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 21, 2020, 07:49:27 PM »
 :block:

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: June 21, 2020, 08:08:16 PM »
you tear down one statue that maybe didn't deserve to be torn down and every POS pub comes out of the woodwork to suggest that the BLM movement is dangerous, or stupid, or just an example of cancel culture.

no one is saying that.  they're saying that one small group of people in one city was just randomly pulling down statues without any real justification or rationale.

of the three statues they pulled down, they pulled down two that were like: "huh, that's weird."  and one that was like:  "lol, you dudes are complete dumbasses."

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 23, 2020, 10:45:44 AM »

Yeah, just like the police. :dunno:
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: June 23, 2020, 10:49:54 AM »
Was that Talcum X calling for the destruction of historic stained glass windows because Jesus looks White?