Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 93641 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #900 on: August 16, 2020, 03:00:14 PM »
every level of government is not telling them that it is safe to socialize in crowded bars.  that's absolutely ridiculous, michigancat.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 16, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »
every level of government is not telling them that it is safe to socialize in crowded bars.  that's absolutely ridiculous, michigancat.
By allowing bars to open, government officials are absolutely saying it's safe. Patrons should be able to trust the health department to create and enforce covid guidelines that ensure the safety of the community, just like they do with things like kitchen sanitation.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 16, 2020, 03:37:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/nellyfish_13/status/1294802260791369734
Once again, why do people expect to see people wearing masks in bars

If bars are allowed to open, there will be unmasked people. Blame officials for letting bars to open and students to come back to campus, I think it's dumb to blame the students.

I think the lack of distancing is the bigger issue, and I do agree with you that the fault lies with the city of Manhattan and Riley County. The mayor's role in documenting what's happening is interesting. To me the fix is pretty easy, close Manhattan Ave., Moro, and 12th streets in Aggieville after 10:00PM and allow the bars to serve and outside.

Yes, the students should do the right thing but there are lots of laws created to save us from ourselves including distancing and mask laws in other places. The government has an obligation to protect the people in the community that aren't hanging out in Aggieville.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 16, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »

If bars are allowed to open, there will be unmasked people. Blame officials for letting bars to open and students to come back to campus, I think it's dumb to blame the students.

I think the lack of distancing is the bigger issue, and I do agree with you that the fault lies with the city of Manhattan and Riley County. The mayor's role in documenting what's happening is interesting. To me the fix is pretty easy, close Manhattan Ave., Moro, and 12th streets in Aggieville after 10:00PM and allow the bars to serve and outside.

Yes, the students should do the right thing but there are lots of laws created to save us from ourselves including distancing and mask laws in other places. The government has an obligation to protect the people in the community that aren't hanging out in Aggieville.
Yeah her post was interesting.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3310231629063564&id=100002302797604&anchor_composer=false

It's pretty clear her orders aren't enforced by the bars (or anyone else) but they aren't exactly obvious to the general public either. Like if I hadn't read that post I wouldn't know that I had to sit and only be served and consume at the table if I walked into a bar. That's really the only violation I see to the orders.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 16, 2020, 04:07:23 PM »
By allowing bars to open, government officials are absolutely saying it's safe. Patrons should be able to trust the health department to create and enforce covid guidelines that ensure the safety of the community, just like they do with things like kitchen sanitation.

government is sending mixed messages, and/or is messaging ineffectively are accurate observations.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 16, 2020, 06:02:14 PM »

This is absolutely what should be done, although I would close the streets down earlier / altogether on Fridays and Saturdays.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 16, 2020, 06:24:31 PM »
They’ll just transition to house/frat parties instead. Maybe country roads, but you won’t slow them down if they’re allowed to be on campus during the pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 16, 2020, 06:36:28 PM »

This is absolutely what should be done, although I would close the streets down earlier / altogether on Fridays and Saturdays.

What does time have to do with anything?  Amount of people?
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 16, 2020, 06:45:23 PM »
After 10, people are there exclusively to get drunk and sloppy, too.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 16, 2020, 07:05:52 PM »

Yes, as more people show up we need more room for them to spread out.  I was in Breckenridge, CO a few weeks ago and they shut down the main street in their downtown area so restaurants and other business could operate outside.  It seemed to work well.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 16, 2020, 07:12:53 PM »
I don't know if this is rational or quantifiable, but I'd feel more comfortable on a slightly crowded patio or street than I would at an indoor bar with "social distancing"

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 16, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »

Yes, as more people show up we need more room for them to spread out.  I was in Breckenridge, CO a few weeks ago and they shut down the main street in their downtown area so restaurants and other business could operate outside.  It seemed to work well.

It'd be fun as hell too.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 16, 2020, 09:17:39 PM »
Was in town this afternoon and walked by O'Malley's. They had a paper sign made by the Aggieville Business Association posted on the front door that said they take COVID seriously, are adopting preventative measures, etc. And, as a testament to their efforts, the sign said they've reduced their maximum capacity to 75% of normal operations.

Everything's under control.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 16, 2020, 10:08:57 PM »

Have you never been to Aggieville? Do you not realize most of the businesses there aren't bars that rely on business from people other than 21 year olds trying to get laid?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 16, 2020, 10:17:04 PM »
anyone actually surprised by this?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: August 16, 2020, 10:21:44 PM »
Does it count if I'm surprised people are surprised?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:25:28 PM by michigancat »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 16, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »

There's no way anyone actually is, like we were all horned up 21 year olds at one point, right?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 16, 2020, 10:35:29 PM »

There's no way anyone actually is, like we were all horned up 21 year olds at one point, right?

There's an awful lot of finger wagging. And really, we've seen similar behavior all over the country from all ages of people. Open up bars and this is what happens

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 16, 2020, 10:41:29 PM »
I'd be less surprised if K-State isn't back to online only within the next 3 weeks

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 16, 2020, 10:44:19 PM »

There's an awful lot of finger wagging. And really, we've seen similar behavior all over the country from all ages of people. Open up bars and this is what happens

Same damn story led the news up here about flood aggie

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 16, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »

We saw Sturgis, too

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 16, 2020, 11:01:45 PM »

We saw Sturgis, too

I do think Sturgis is different than what's happening in college towns. Nobody made those boomers and Xers go up to South Dakota. They are also 2 to 3 times older than these college kids. You can't send these kids to these small towns then tell them they can only have part of the experience. You send your kid to college, I would think you are sending them with the expectation they are going to do college stuff.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 16, 2020, 11:04:45 PM »
I don’t think it’s too much to ask of adults that are in college to realize the situation we are all in.  yes more leadership at the government level would help but let’s not absolve responsibility because “they’re kids”.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 16, 2020, 11:12:18 PM »
I don’t think it’s too much to ask of adults that are in college to realize the situation we are all in.  yes more leadership at the government level would help but let’s not absolve responsibility because “they’re kids”.
if the bars weren't open it wouldn't really matter. they'd find a way

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 16, 2020, 11:13:09 PM »

We saw Sturgis, too

I do think Sturgis is different than what's happening in college towns. Nobody made those boomers and Xers go up to South Dakota. They are also 2 to 3 times older than these college kids. You can't send these kids to these small towns then tell them they can only have part of the experience. You send your kid to college, I would think you are sending them with the expectation they are going to do college stuff.

Agreed, I'm just saying that crap like this happens wherever you open bars, regardless of age or location.